The Diono Radian or the Recaro Prosport?

rocketgirl96

My DS is almost 4, 37 lbs and I don't remember how tall he is (he's pretty average in height). He's FF and I need another carseat for our 2008 Pontiac Vibe (I will be moving current carseat into our second car). I had pretty much decided on ordering a Diono (formerly Sunshine Kids) Radian RXT but then read reviews about how they were having Superlatch issues. It seems like most of the problems happen when using the seat rear-facing which I never intend to do. Does anyone know if it happens when forward-facing too?

The other carseat I am thinking about is the Recaro ProSport Harness-to-Booster but I just started researching it.

Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks,
Christine

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
If you have no intentions of using the rear facing feature, I would not consider the Diono unless you need it for a 3 across situation. Otherwise, you are really limiting it's use. You likely won't use it as a booster (50lbs minimum) as most kids outgrow the seat by height by the time the weigh enough to use that feature. So I would go with the Recaro between the 2 options listed.

rocketgirl96

I'm open to other options, if you have any suggestions. :) I was initially drawn to the Radian for it's size, so I don't want anything too large width-wise. Now that I've researched the ProSport some more, it appears that the weight/height limits may have been exaggerated so now I'm back to the drawing board. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep him in a harness as long as possible.

Thanks,
Christine

firemomof3

My 4 & 5y/o are both ff and use several different seats. My ds rides in either a Radian, ProSport, Regent or Nautilus. I also would skip the Radian since you won't be using it for rf. I like the ProSport, my kids are comfortable in it, its pretty easy to use/install. But the one snag is now that I need to install it using the seat belt the belt covers the harness slot :mad: So I had to move the headrest all the way to the top position. This is not a safety issue, but still the ProSport got moved to dh's truck ;)
I love the Nautilus and its been one of my favorites for years :love: I have the Elite which has adjustable head rests which, for me anyway, prevents head slump.
The Frontier is another option which is a great, comfy seat. It didn't work for us because it was too reclined when installed in my van but many others love it :)

jsmom

We have a Nautilus for DD in our car which is a 2008 Matrix, similar to yours I think. I didnt like the way the Frontier installed in the car so I moved it to my MILs. Have you considered the Nautilus?

jess71903

Ambassador
I have and love the ProSport. I had and hated a Radian 80SL. I would pick the ProSport, hands down, for a kid that won't RF, and isn't needed for a tight 3-across. The ProSport isn't too wide and seems to me to be a pretty easy install in most vehicles. I have written a review of it on here. I'll dig it up and link it for you.

ETA: linky http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=164788

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC