I'm sure I'm overthinking this...

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
but husband and I are considering redecorating daughter's room for her birthday in March. This would probably mean a day trip to IKEA, about 2 hours away.

It's very possible that I'd have to fold down the backseat of the SUV, which would mean that my 78# ~10yo (we'd be going right before or right after her birthday) would have to ride in front. There is an airbag sensor and at this point, the airbag remains off when she sits in front.

I've considered renting a pickup for the day, but she'd still be in front. Is there any reason that would be a better choice? Or is there any other reasonable option? (Taking two vehicles is probably not likely. My husband cannot think of much worse than spending the day at Ikea, lol. He would much rather spring for the cost of whatever vehicle I want to rent for the day, if we do that.)

ADS

Qarin

When she sits up front in a backless booster, how does her head height compare with yours (without a booster, obviously :) )? In our pickup, DD1 in a backless TB sits basically on par with me, and so I choose to leave the airbag on, believing it would deploy in the right position to give her more protection. If she sat lower than I do, then I'd turn the airbag off.

The advantage of a 2seater pickup is that there should always be an airbag switch, so if you're more comfortable with that then do it; another advantage is that the stuff you buy won't be in inside the vehicle with you (but would be right outside a window, so I don't know) (also, the stuff would be subject to weather conditions, and the various small things that can't really go in the open bed of a pickup would still be with you inside the cabin). Otherwise, I think I'd be fine with the situation as you describe it, with the airbag turning itself off.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't get to choose whether the airbag is on or off -- it's an automatic sensor based on weight. (I guess I could make her ride with a bag of concrete mix on her lap or something.)

I'm not too worried about projectiles in the cabin of the SUV -- aren't most IKEA things flat-packed? I could bungee them down.

Qarin

I don't get to choose whether the airbag is on or off -- it's an automatic sensor based on weight. (I guess I could make her ride with a bag of concrete mix on her lap or something.)

Oh, no, I wasn't saying that I thought you had a switch (having a switch is an advantage of the single-cab pickup), nor that if she's tall enough that you should make sure the airbag is on- I was saying that if she's as tall as a fairly regular height adult when sitting there, that I wouldn't sweat the airbag possibly being on accidentally (since one is not supposed to completely trust the automatic sensor in this situation).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC