New Chrysler T&C will have swivel seats...

Jane

So how would you put in a child in a RF seat if for some reason you swiveled their seat? The second row seats, if you purchase that option, will be able to swivel 180 degrees and face the back seat.

My DH and I were trying to figure it out, but our brains weren't functioning. Same for kids in boosters...would it be safe for them to ride FF in a seat swiveled RF? I'm assuming they had this tested for safety?

BTW, the van looks cool! Especially for us. Our closest family is 10 hours away and we go on a lot of roadtrips to visit them. Next set of grandparents is 20 hour drive away. Too expensive for our family of 5 to fly so often. They're touting it as a family room on wheels. Hmmm.... Seems to be where we spend most of our time!

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/first-look-2008-chrysler-vans.htm

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Generally, you can NOT install a carseat of any type on a rear-facing seat. Check the vehicle and carseat manuals, but I don't believe ANY manufactirer permits this. there was a thread on this with this particular vehicle a while back, and I believe some techs more knowledable than I pretty much squashed the idea straightaway. The vehicle will NOT permit you to install a carseat unless the seat is facing forward.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yup, LOVE it! But until they start testing and approving carseats and/or boosters in that rearfacing vehicle seat, it just isn't approved...so I'll have to let my kids who are too big for boosters sit in those backward seats and keep my harnessed kid/s on the forward facing vehicle seats. (I'm a Japanese car lover, but this might make me change my tune, it's SO COOL! :whistle:)

lovinwaves

I seriously doubt they(Chrylser) will ok the idea of having it in the rear-facing position while driving.

You can swivel the seat outward to ease carseat installing, and passengers going in and out of the third row.

If you like Stow n' Go, then forget about the Swivel n' Go. It appears you can't have both in the same van.

I think this is one of those things that appears better on paper than in person. ;)

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree with lovinwaves- this looks like a cool feature on paper, but I question how useful it will be "in real life." ;)

keri1292

Our 1995 Toyota Previa had the swivel seats and a lap belt for RFing ( lap/shoulder combo for FFing). Which pretty much made it useless, knowing what I do now. :( And ours were OK to be RFing while driving (hence the extra seatbelt). If they could figure out how to get a shoulder belt attached as well, I'd buy it! :D

AtomicLush

My old coach in high school transported us around in a conversion van (remember those?) and those had swivel seats...we used to all face each other so we can have conversations while driving to a meet. It's not necessarily a "new" feature, but I guess it's new on the T&C and Caravans.

keri1292

:confused: I can't really see. How would that work? The seatbelt wouldn't be attached to the vehicle frame, just the seat, right? Hmmm...I hope that idea takes off. I'm curious to see if it was crash tested RFing and what those results were. I'm excited! And in 8 years, I may even be able to afford it. :cool:

my3girls

This video from Chrysler says: Seats must be locked in forward or rearward mode when vehicle is in motion. Child restraints (this would include boosters) must only be used when seats are in forward-facing mode.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC