Coat for use in car seat

Paperdragon

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a coat that would be thin/non-compressible enough to use during the coldest winter months that wouldn't have to be taken off when using a 5pt car seat? We don't have a usable garage and it's just not practical for me to run out and leave the kids somewhere while I start the car and pre-warm it. We have blankets in the car and I've tried putting coats on backwards after they are buckled, but they are still freezing and miserable. Are polar fleece jackets acceptable or are they too slippery? Any suggestions are appreciated. I have a 6yo and a 3yo. Thanks!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Dress is layers, use hats/mittens/scarves + your 6 year old could probably handle crack-n-shake heat packs.... Lands End had fleece snow suits for Leila at 3 years old:
RF-BritaxWizard-ChevyBlazer-Winter.jpg

(She's actually 2 here, but we bought the same suit again the following year)

However, I used to warm up the car in our apartment without garage -- we were on the 2nd floor & I just had Leila's 1/2 sister (almost 4 years older than her) hold her in the main doorway of the building so I could see them while I started the car or I carried Leila out with me, then back inside.

harnessed4ever

As far as I know, fleece should be okay. like Papposes said "use layers", it really helps you out. In winter months I tend to give the harness adjuster a good extra tug. Not only are people being stupid and driving crazy in winter, but the harness presses the coat closer to the, making them feel warmer.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well, it's true that people are often careless in the winter (puting too much faith in supplemental safety features), but there are more motorcycles weaving in & out of lanes + drunk drivers in the summer.

The harness should always snug such that you cannot pinch the strap to creat a horizontal crease on the collar bone.

Can't hurt to give an extra tug, though -- as long as kiddo isn't in pain....

harnessed4ever

when Lyra was in her marathon (and the husky), she would get the adjuster strap between her feet and pull it until is was visibly pressing her into the seat. I would ask her "doesn't that hurt?" and she would smile and reply "nope, it just feels snug." Now she does the same thing with her wesco harness, only there are four adjusters (one on each lap and shoulder strap) and they are all in reach so she can do it with her hands. Still just as tight LOL.

Morganthe

There was a coat style this past winter that seemed to be popular. I picked one up on sale for dd (normal $45 -- a thrifty $8 at Dillards clearance :D ) It's a very very thin quilted nylon on the outside, but the inside is completely lined, including arms, with polartech fleece. It reminds me of Mandarin styled jackets, but it does have an attached hood.

Seriously, the thing has less bulk than a sweater or sweat jacket. I thought of it as reliable for these wierd TX Winters where you need something warm in the morning, but you're carrying extra coats around by noon. Looking at it, I'd say it would work extremely well for a carseat. :)

Sorry to be so vague about the brand (it's packed away). :eek: There has to be someone out there who knows what I'm talking about :p

harnessed4ever

sounds like a great coat! give us more info if you can find it. did it happen to be waterproof? It rains a lot here so that feature would be a major plus!

Paperdragon

Can anyone tell me better why layers are better than a parka in a car seat (safety-wise I mean, of course). Do they compress less (or more when you are tightening the harness)? I'm trying to understand the physics so I can make a winter car seat wardrobe strategy. Would one of those water/wind proof fleece parka from LAnd's Ennd work? Thanks so much!

Dress is layers, use hats/mittens/scarves + your 6 year old could probably handle crack-n-shake heat packs.... Lands End had fleece snow suits for Leila at 3 years old:
RF-BritaxWizard-ChevyBlazer-Winter.jpg

(She's actually 2 here, but we bought the same suit again the following year)

However, I used to warm up the car in our apartment without garage -- we were on the 2nd floor & I just had Leila's 1/2 sister (almost 4 years older than her) hold her in the main doorway of the building so I could see them while I started the car or I carried Leila out with me, then back inside.

harnessed4ever

it looks safe enough to me. The harness should be visibly pressing through the coat and onto the child's body. A big problem people have is making sure either all or none of the base of the coat goes underneath the hip straps. If it is zigzagging in and out it is creating uneven presure which will hurt a lot in the even of a crash

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Can anyone tell me better why layers are better than a parka in a car seat (safety-wise I mean, of course). Do they compress less (or more when you are tightening the harness)? I'm trying to understand the physics so I can make a winter car seat wardrobe strategy. Would one of those water/wind proof fleece parka from LAnd's Ennd work? Thanks so much!

Reasonable layers -- like undershirt + regular shirt + single layer vest or sweater/sweatshirt all under a thing fleece suit or similar type coat.... Where I live it could be in the 40s during the day but end up below 0 at night, so layers are handy & inexpensive.

Thin layers seem to sit on the body in a more evenly compressed way while a fluffy/bulky parka is more difficult to see if it's being used correctly. There isn't any crash testing to compare one method vs. the other, but it comes down to how easy it make sure the harness is correctly used: the less difficult or time consuming or frustrating for the child, etc. the better.

The idea behind layers is also that it helps trap in more body heat. I haven't yet found a coat that does it better than regular ol' layers.

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Wrinkles, especially bulky ones, can cause otherwise easily preventable injury (usually bruising).

A lot of kids also express great discomfort with wringles in their coats.

harnessed4ever

True true and true. If you used that flece you showed you'd want to have an undershirt on. It really all depends on the area. As Papooses said, wrinkles are going to be painful, so have them wear something that fits really tight.

keri1292

I also find the "tail" of parkas and longer coats to be a PITA for buckling. A lot of lifting/rearranging/scooting to get it "just right". Patagonia also makes some 2 piece fleece suits for bigger kids. We've also found Columbia to be super warm and durable.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
We love Land's End fleece. The sport Squall is nice when it gets really cold. Doesn't get under the bum, is easily moved out of the hip area and I can get the harness really snug.

Don't forget mittens, socks and a warm hat. I found Zane often doesn't need a "coat" if his hands, feet and head are kept warm. We double his thin socks and/or add a pair of Baby Legs. Keeping his feet and ankles warm helps keep his body warm. Mittens are warmer than gloves. A warm hat, something cute so they love wearing it, is a must.

We had a couple times this past winter when it was well below zero and I had put on extra layers plus his Squall. It was a tad thicker than I like. Once the car was toasty I'd pull over in a gas station or parking lot and take his Squall off. That way he didn't get too warm, plus it got rid of the extra layer.

Remember, no one should have puffy coats. That includes kids in boosters and older kids and adults in seat belts. You want the seat belt snug on the body just like the harness on an older child.

Paperdragon

columbias are nice, but they are often too bulky and/or slippery to be used safely with a harness so I go for LE fleeces.

This issue of "slippery" has got me thinking. I have always considered fleece to be slippery (that's what the kids always want to wear when we do a winter park with slides:D. Cotton seems not slippery to me, but not very warm. I'm assuming because so many of you use fleece, it is not the kind of slippery that is an issue in a car seat????

Thank-you, everyone, for all of your help with this. There are great deals on e-bay right now on winter clothes-not much availability, but what's there is being sold for a song!

Ahzryn

Those Marinac Land's End fleece jackets are awsome! That's why my own kids wear :) They are really really warm since the windcheck layer cuts the wind completely. They are nothing like fleece per say...it almost feels more like a waterproof mattress pad material if that makes any sense? But, very soft, comfy, thin, and WARM. The only time we use a heavier jacket if it's it well below zero. Otherwise these are perfect.

Somehow they manage to breathe well so they are not too hot on a fall day, but be completely warm in the coldest winder days. :shrug:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC