Can't Decide, KeyFit 30 or SS1

Erika Ruth

Okay, I know this is brought up A LOT...

I am due with my 3rd child in less than 2 months.

Eleanor has a bit over an inch on her Marathon, so we decided to wait on getting her a new seat, until it was necessary (as we want it to work as long as possible, and we want to wait for Recaro to come out to see how it actually works).

Okay, so we need a 3rd seat. 3 kids, 3 seats.

I don't have Latch, and I won't be getting the Minivan for another Month (to test them in the seat)

I decided to go for the SS1, or the Keyfit 30...

Advantages, as I see them of the SS1:
Tall back
High Weight
Built in Lock offs

Advantages, as I see them of the Keyfit 30:

Looks less "hot"
Cushier fabric
Infant insert (Has to be taken out by 11lbs, and my babies are about 9lbs)
Lower profile base (easier to scoot by, without bumping legs)
High Weight
Built in Lock offs
Harness is "smoother" and easier to adjust on the demo models.

Disadvantages of the SS1:
The fabric looks dirty and scratchy on the the models I liked
(Mocha looked "all right")
It has that same bulky tall base look as the old Snugride
Feels bulkier

Disadvantages of the Keyfit 30:
Costs $30 MORE!
Will it last as long? (I have tall babies, not tubby ones).

Yes, I am over analyzing, but this is the ONE purchase I have to make for the new baby, and I can't quite decide. What would you do?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've decided that you should go on 'when does the baby walk?' for buying infant seats (as if you KNEW in advance? lol)...but anyway, Leah was NOT walking when she got too tall for her Key Fit, and I NEEDED a carrier, so I was so glad to have the SS1 (which she still fits in at 18 months, but we don't use often). If your kids are early walkers, the Key Fit is fab...if you tend towards late walkers, I think the SS1 is the way to go (my ds was 15 months, dd1 was 12 months, dd2 was 15 months)...but if you have those 10-12 mo walkers, Key Fit is great :)

Ok, that's just my 12 cents...they are both great, flip a coin... :whistle:

Erika Ruth

I've decided that you should go on 'when does the baby walk?' for buying infant seats (as if you KNEW in advance? lol)...but anyway, Leah was NOT walking when she got too tall for her Key Fit, and I NEEDED a carrier, so I was so glad to have the SS1 (which she still fits in at 18 months, but we don't use often). If your kids are early walkers, the Key Fit is fab...if you tend towards late walkers, I think the SS1 is the way to go (my ds was 15 months, dd1 was 12 months, dd2 was 15 months)...but if you have those 10-12 mo walkers, Key Fit is great :)

Ok, that's just my 12 cents...they are both great, flip a coin... :whistle:

I saw that you posted that before, that it depends on the age of your walker. Both my girls were in convertibles before they were walking. Eleanor by like 9 months (was walking by 12 months on the nose). And, Elizabeth was in her Marathon by 3 months (She was walking by 10 months).

But, why do you think it is dependent on walking? I am really curious, (Not because I disagree, but because, I don't have any experience with using carriers long term, so far).

The reason that I am getting a bucket instead of upgrading Eleanor early is because we live in an apartment building, and my "walkers" aren't capable of walking down to the car (I have to carry them), until they are at least 16 months (and it even NOW totally stresses me out, and I carry Elizabeth (She is a runner, at 18 months). So, basically, I can't carry two girls down, thus, the need for the infant seat (so I can set down the baby and chase Elizabeth).

I am leaning towards the Keyfit, but if the frame is just as tall, I am thinking I can get by with the standard KeyFit, and not the 30... (as my almost 4 year old just passed the 30lbs mark, and my 19 month old is 24lbs).

Thank you for indulging my over analysis... (as really, this is the ONLY purchase I am making, so it is my nesting.)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Central Park is not scratchy.
8A02CNP_z.jpg

Legacy is not scratchy
8A06LEG_z.jpg

Jenny is not scratchy
8A06JEN_z.jpg

Ionic is not scratchy
8A06INC_z.jpg

Quinn is not scratchy
8A06QIN_z.jpg

Heirloom is not scratchy
8A08HRL_z.jpg

Rittenhouse is not scratchy
8A11RIT_z.jpg

And now, for Chicco (all available KeyFit30s)

Race pattern
product_image.php

Extreme pattern
product_image.php

Adventure pattern (not listed on Chicco's website, though)
win187-102563.jpg

Atmosphere pattern (not listed on Chicco's website, though)
win187-102562.jpg

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i LOVED my SS1, i have only looked at the keyfit, and it does have some cute colors, but not enough to sway me from my first true love :love: the ss1 is SO easy to install with latch or seatbelt, and i dunno, i just loved it with all my might. lol it was so hard to let go

(

Erika Ruth

If I go for the SS1, I think it is between the Rittenhouse and the Jenny.

(My girls want me to get the Jenny).

The Heirloom was the one that felt yucky in the store, but it looked like it had been handled a lot. I bet if the cover was washed mildly, it would be better. I had the Ionic before (with my first), and I liked that okay.

I am leaning more and more towards the SS1, as all of you seem to love it. (the Keyfit just seems so soft and luxurious and easy to use as well)

Erika

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
If you're installing with LATCH, I'd say the KeyFit. If you're installing with seatbelt, then I'd say SafeSeat.

I love both seats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, I only say walking because you can't just 'put down' a non-walker! If they are all buckled and contained and you can plop them on the ground, THAT's what I love :D. I was stressing about needing a sling for the plane trip on tuesday, then remembered I can just stand Leah there on the ground while I fold her stroller to gate check...the last time we went on planes at 10 weeks/5 months/14 months, that kid couldn't even stand, so I had to be able to keep her in a safe place :). It's not like some developmental rule or anything, just convenience (seats used to be so small that we'd at least hope for 'sitting up' so you could put your kid in the cart or high chair, but I think 'walking' is a good convenience benchmark, now)

:)

Erika Ruth

I got it!!!!!!!!!

Okay, MSRP $189 I got it for $71 plus Tax! (It was on clearance here in SoCal, because, get this... IT DOESN'T FIT IN the BUGABOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had the SnugRide for $130! And the SS1 for $79, but they gave me an additional 10% off so they could call it a final sale!

Central Park is really nice and soft! You were totally right!

8A02CNP_z.jpg

Synchro246

cool, what an awesome deal.

I have the ionic, it is scratchy--but honestly it hasn't been a problem even in our florida heat.

cso1997

Oh that is a good deal but I am a Keyfit fanantic. You would have to pry mine out of my dead lifeless hands. The LATCH connectors are better and the seatbelt install is so easy that I can't imagine the SS is easier. The infant insert is great even if you don't use it long and the headrest is really nice too. Oh well...another loss to the SS...boo hoo. Since you have never had a Keyfit, I suppose you won't even notice that you are missing a GREAT seat. I personally think that the SS is way overkill for anyone that doesn't plan to use it until it is outgrown. I am still using the Keyfit22 at almost 11 months. I think I am going to get plenty of use out of it. Also, I have the tiniest problem with the handle and Chicco is sending a new seat out to me as soon as they get my color in. I can't say enough about Chicco's customer service. JM overly addicted to the Keyfit O.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sweet deal!!! Bugaboo really needs to get on the ball, but just as well you are profiting off their oversight, lol

:)

I got it!!!!!!!!!

Okay, MSRP $189 I got it for $71 plus Tax! (It was on clearance here in SoCal, because, get this... IT DOESN'T FIT IN the BUGABOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had the SnugRide for $130! And the SS1 for $79, but they gave me an additional 10% off so they could call it a final sale!

Central Park is really nice and soft! You were totally right!

8A02CNP_z.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC