Wall St Journal article on California Booster Law

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would make a comment about how my 7-year-old isn't going back in a booster...because he was never out of one. But I'd have to register, and I'm not going to.

Jan06twinmom

Wow. Why can't an article focus on the reasons why it's important to have kids in booster seats? Every one is so focused on why it's unfair or uncomfortable or whatever. Any parent who was concerned about safety in the car could easily looked online to learn that their 6yo needed to be in a booster seat even though the law didn't require it.

I'm glad that there is a $475 fine because that seems to be getting parents attention.

Melanie

littleangelfire

Wow. A nation of parents afraid of their children's wrath. And is it just me or did the article itself, the reporter, seem whiny? What of the kids who don't want to bathe? Oh and the kid who thinks he's being treated like a baby b/c mom won't let him go off the high dive...even though he can't swim?

VoodooChile

The whole tone of the argument made me want to scream. They had an excellent opportunity to educate parents on WHY this new law was needed.

4boysmom

How obnoxious! Someone took their child to DISNEYLAND as a bribe to stay in their seat?! My 95 pound 10 yo is still in a booster and was 8ish when he got out of his Regent. The Regent was likely "overkill" but no way would I have an 8yo completely boosterless at that age. DS's hips are getting a bit too large for his seat at this point but I am not happy with the belt fit in his seating position. Why a 6 or 7 yo would want to have a shoulder belt in their face instead of a boost up is flabbergasting to me.

I though it was a terrible article my kids are years away from booster age but my 7&8 year old siblings and my 90 pound 10.5 year old sister are all still in boosters

Shaunam

Oh boo hoo. :rolleyes: The recommendation for YEARS has been that kids need booster seats until at least 4'9". It's a shame that there needs to be a law to get parents to listen. These kids should never have been out of boosters, law or no.

And how uncomfortable is a backless, really? It seems to me it would be MORE comfortable, because the belt would fit right. Plus you can see out of the window better. And you can get your very own cupholders. And a cool pattern. And extra padding. Yeah those things are just torture. :thumbsdown:

Adrian is about to turn 7 and just doesn't know any different...because he's never been out of one, even though there was a gap between the time he turned four and the time our new law went into place, upping the age from 4 to 8. He actually gets excited when I order a new seat for him. We recently upgraded from a plain, boring, brown literider to a flames one. And I'm getting rid of the girls rock pattern turbo for a spitfire one, which just came today. He'll be so excited when I go to pick him up from his dad's. :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC