Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carseat Crazy

Locking seatbelt

I have a special needs 7 yr old ff in a nautilus. He's cognitively able to sit in his seat responsibly and buckle himself up as well. We just switched him from the 5pt harness to the booster mode. The problem we are having is that every time he unbuckled and gets out of the car, the belt is locked and he can't figure out how to unthread it, feed it back in, thread it back through, and buckle up. Not only that, but I am not patient enough for all of that too! Is there something out there that once I get him in snug, I can put on the belt to keep it from feeding back in? He could then be able to buckle in snug without fighting with the locking aspect.

I have 3 crazy boys -
    Logan - 7 - Britax Parkway
    Wade - 6 - Britax Parkway
    Camden 4.5 - FF Britax Roundabout

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

If he can sit okay then don't lock it. It should lay in correct position and he won't have to deal with it locking up on him.

auto-correct on the loose..
    A five stepper and a booster rider

Are you locking it or is it just accidentally getting locked? My 6 yo needs to pull out extra to buckle so I'm not sure if that would even work.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus

Carseat Crazy
    My Suburban just locks at different lengths....not sure why. I've made sure that he's not pulling it all the way out and it still locks. Ugh.

I have 3 crazy boys -

Carseat Crazy
    Is there a clip I can put on the seatbelt to keep it at a specific length?

I have 3 crazy boys -

Re: Locking seatbelt

It is a lap and shoulder belt and it is doing that? Have you tried having him pull it slowly? Mine locks if I pull too quick.

I don't think you can with a booster.

Carseat Crazy
    Yep - its a lap/shoulder belt. Is a clip just not out there or is that a safety issue? ...and if it's a safety issue - why? I'm considering having one made...but I want to make sure it won't compromise safety.

I have 3 crazy boys -

Well, for one, it would be a projectile in a crash.

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by kile529
    Yep - its a lap/shoulder belt. Is a clip just not out there or is that a safety issue? ...and if it's a safety issue - why? I'm considering having one made...but I want to make sure it won't compromise safety.
    I don't think there is one out there. And personally I wouldn't use one. I don't see how it would work. If you put the clip on so it didn't retract it would be hard to buckle without some slack.

Carseat Crazy
    I'm not talking about a slide on clip...but a secure clip. People use the mighty tight thing safely...without it being a projectile. I'm so frustrated that it'd be easier to put him just in the seat alone...but I'm unwilling to lose the safety of the nautilus. I'm sure not everyone would use it...but it might give someone in my situation some sanity

I have 3 crazy boys -

Quote Originally Posted by kile529
    I'm not talking about a slide on clip...but a secure clip. People use the mighty tight thing safely...without it being a projectile. I'm so frustrated that it'd be easier to put him just in the seat alone...but I'm unwilling to lose the safety of the nautilus. I'm sure not everyone would use it...but it might give someone in my situation some sanity
    No they don't. That thing is a bad IDE all around and never meant to be used on a booster at all. Just pull slower and consistently on belt.

I was just trying to fix your possible broken seat belt issue. Personally, I feel that is the big problem. If a child can not buckle in a booster, maybe they should stay in a 5 point harness.

Not a tech, but I think it would be a safety issue. In a crash the belt wouldn't be able to tighten anymore than you set it. It really would be about impossible to buckle without slack too. I would be frustrated if DD's belt locked every time too. I'd probably move her to a FR85 if I couldn't figure out why it's locking every time. Then after that's outgrown maybe she would be ready for a no back booster where this isn't an issue. I would not do that yet though. Every now and then DD pulls out too much slack to buckle since the nauti is pretty high to reach the buckle in and accidentally locks it. I have to fix it when it happens.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus

Senior Community Member rxmommy's Avatar

My 5yo will lock her seatbelt too sometimes and it's incredibly frustrating. I'm not certain if she just pulls it all the way out (totally possible, because she seems to need about a mile of belt to buckle) or if she just pulls too fast. That and she twists the belt about 75% of the time. So most of the time I have to buckle her myself. Part of it is where the belt guide sits in relation to the top of the captain's chair though...hoping it will get better as she gets taller!
    Annie, mommy to...
    Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel #3 10/08,
    Sophia 1/10 and
    Isaac 6/11/12

Carseat Crazy
    I'm sorry if you thought I took offense - I was just clarifying so that you knew what i was thinking. no worries

I have 3 crazy boys -