Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Free-Spinning BV Knob Problem

Hi all,

We have a Boulevard in our Explorer for DS who is 31 months, 36" tall and 29 lbs. We often switch between FF and RF depending on the cargo we're carrying and when he's FF, I can't make the headrest/straps go quite high enough to be at/just above his shoulder line. I know he couldn't possibly have grown out of the BV yet, but when I try to raise the headrest, the knob just spins freely on it's bolt. When I try to lower it, it works okay, then raises again to it's current level and gets "loose" again.

I'm over this.

I'm going to put DS down and go out and play with it if he'll stay asleep long enough to get him on the couch. (nak) Perhaps I can describe the problem better.

Any advice? Thanks!
    Mama to DS (12/04), DD (2/09), DS (1/13)
    2015 Toyota Sienna SE 8 passenger
    2004 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Free-Spinning BV Knob Problem

maybe a picture? then we could tell you if it was at its max. i dont think its supposed to spin freely though, but im not that familiar witht he BV, only used it once for a day...

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Yeah it definitely isn't supposed to spin freely.

Carseat Crazy

I just took a video....it's uploading right now.

(and off to update siggie...we sold the 540i and the Marathon become our spare travel seat.)

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Just let us know when it is ready.

Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me. ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

Carseat Crazy

Okay...I can't get it to upload anywhere. Sorry. I'll work on it more later if need be.

That said, I figured out that if I grab the left knob, it goes up and down just fine. But, the right knob spins freely in either direction now, not actuating the height adjustment at all. I've had the seat over a year.

Carseat Crazy

Hey guys, do you have any advice on the knob, knowing it spins loosely both ways?

Thanks!

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Hmmm, maybe the threading for that knob is stripped? I'd call Britax and ask...1-888-4BRITAX. They close early on Fridays but I think are still open for another half hour today, until 1:45 p.m. eastern time.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Carseat Crazy

Shoot....I napped with DS and now it's too late. I'll have to take care of it next week.

Oh, I compared its height to how high the harness goes on my other Blvd, and this broken one isn't nearly at its max.

Definitely contact Britax & I would report the defect to NHTSA if it is in fact a defect > http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/