California People, a Question

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This is for people in California only (or, I suppose, people who have recently visited). Other than this site or other sources that only a CPST/car seat nut would be likely to frequent, where and what have you heard about California's new child restraint law? (Newspaper article, TV segment, ad, handouts from a pediatrician/hospital, etc.)

Basically I'm wondering how run-of-the-mill parents have found out/will find out about the law. Because I have heard nothing (other than through CPST sources).

I emailed Caltrans to suggest they use electronic freeway signs to publicize the change. Someone in their public affairs department wrote back to say it was a good idea, but direction would have to come from the CHP or DMV.

I then wrote to my contact at CHP, who checked with Sacramento and said that they would not be using freeway signs but that CHP and other agencies are heavily publicizing it in other ways. (Would it kill them to put "Child Restraints until 8 years/4'9" "?) Anyway.

ADS

4boysmom

Facebook, two "friends" posted different links. One when "we" first heard of it a few weeks ago and another today. Both posted to say basically "wah we have to go rebuy seats for our kids (7 and 6 iirc)".

soccer_widow

I haven't heard about it anywhere. My friend whose husband is CHP didn't even know about it until I told her last week. I'm going to contact the principal at DS's school and ask if I can make a flyer to send home when vacation is over.

BabyKaykes

This mornings news cast said:

"Know the new laws in effect starting Jan 1st. Something I don't remember, the teaching of homosexuality in history, and children under 8yrs old now need to be in safety seats."

That has been ALL that I have seen/heard outside of FB links from local CSO-ers.

morninglori

There was a press release that went out in October when the law was first signed. It was written by our local PD/CPST-I. It came out in our local paper and also in our local Patch.com. At our November check event, we talked about a letter she was sending to our local schools, peds and organizations that have kids this age. When I spoke with my ped in late November (my kids annual check-up), the ped hadn't yet seen anything come through their office.

I have a google news alert set up for "booster seat" and have seen that the new law info to be making the parenting site rounds, and most recently after the OTS press release on 12/21, more news sites and online newspapers are picking up the story.

stephcali

I live in LA and have heard nothing other than what I've read here. I should probably post a link on my facebook because I'm sure that none of my friends would have heard about it either. Although for the most part all my irl friends are actually pretty good about car seat usage :) It has probably been posted somewhere here already, but does anyone have a good easy to understand link I can pass on?

mama2girls

I read about it the newspaper yesterday. Otherwise I would have known nothing about it if I had not heard it here. I agree that they need to get word out somehow, as I'm pretty sure the average parent hasn't heard anything.

Last edited:

mom2juliarose

I heard about it here and spread the word to friends, but I haven't seen/heard about it otherwise. I don't watch the news/read the local paper, so I don't know how they'd reach me.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I replied on fb, but nothing- not that I watch/read news.

I'm thinking of printing stuff out and taking to the elementary school next door to where we live but I don't even know who to contact...

Maybe I should just find an email for the principal. Or all the local principals. Now there is an idea.

thtr4me

I don't recall seeing it anywhere in mainstream media outlets. Possibly a mention on NPR? But not 100% sure on that.

KaiLing

Heard a blurb on NPR, but that was national (I heard it in NY!). The parent listserve for my elementary school mentioned it, according to my mom (this is the school I attended).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC