5 Month old FFing!!!!

arly1983

I kept a five month old for a couple of weeks as a favor. Yesterday was her last day. It was about to flood so I was helping her grandmother carry her and her stuff out the truck (Ford Explorer) and she put her in a FFing Cosco OHS. I was in shock and it had just started raining:eek:

Her grandmother always brought her and picked her up, get this, because.....HER MOM IS A PARAMEDIC AND HER DAD IS A FIREFIGHTER!!!!!!!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Wow :dizzy: I'd call them & ask, since they're supposed to be the people who know how dangerous this is, if they're aware of the gross carseat misuse in Grandma's car? :eek::(

Jordynsmama

Yeah I would say something most definitely and I would not be scared or feel weird or anything. 9-10 months is one thing but 5??? Also I am sure the kid isn't 20 lbs and its illegal. I would call the mom and tell her what you saw. Tell
her you are a huge car safety advocate, yada yada yada and explain the law and explian how incredibly unsafe their baby is. Maybe tell her about the scenera or a safe seat or something.....UGH

Misty-Bug

that is rediculous! Also don't people see that there is more damage done with an OHS. I saw a crash test footage that showed a kid in an OHS and I was shocked at how the kids head hit the shield. And being the professions they are in they should know better. Maybe they don't know how grandma has it. I would say something to them.
someone I know faced their son forward at 5 months cause her DOCTOR told her too. I was sick to my stomach. The kid got car sick all the time. And he told her to FF the kid! OMG!! AND SHE DID!!! This kid is older then cooper but probably weights the same, 22ish pounds. And he is FFing I don't get some people

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Oh that makes my blood boil! You would think the parents would make sure grandma knew how to install/use a car seat. Of course some grandparents chose to ignore it :rolleyes:

I saw a crash test footage that showed a kid in an OHS and I was shocked at how the kids head hit the shield.

Do you remember where you saw this?

harnessed4ever

Yeah I'd also like to see the footage. A friend of mine is using an OHS and I've been nagging at her to get some sort of britax or radian. This kind of proof could save her kids lives

arly1983

Thanks, guys....

I know this grandma and have known her all my life and she is a KNOW-IT-ALL and her daughter is an even bigger KNOW-IT-ALL so for the sake of my sanity, I am going to try not to say anything...The baby weights 22 lbs (I weighted her, she was hurting my back) and I know they will get defensive esp since I have no training and nothing to back me up...

Misty-Bug

Oh that makes my blood boil! You would think the parents would make sure grandma knew how to install/use a car seat. Of course some grandparents chose to ignore it :rolleyes:

Do you remember where you saw this?

dang it! I don't. I have been trying to find it again. DARN!!! It was a short clip but the kids head smashed right into the shield. It was horrible. I wish I could find it again! I am so sorry!

Misty-Bug

well you word alone my change her mind. I'll show her this thread. I really hope she changes seats.

I am really sorry that I can't seem to find it! I knew I should have saved it. It was mixed in with crash test footage. I will keep looking tomorrow or soon. Seriously I almost puked when I saw it. My hand went up to my face. Just picture how the footage looks with a child in a five point harness. Now take that child and the way it responds in a crash and put that stupid bar in front of them. The kids head hit it then bounced right off it. My hand went to my mouth and I was feeling like I was gonna puke. Seriously! I am actually wondering if it is in the footage about the notch thing that happened with evenflo. Hmmm....gotta find THAT one too!!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Maybe you could just print out some basic info on car seats in general and hand them out to the parents and grandparents and say you are handing this stuff out to everyone you know who drives kids around because you found it so useful yourself? cpsafety.org has a lot of great info and prints well.

Kimberly

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I saw that, too -- at the NHTSA regional conference.... It was a side by side with an unbuckled OHS (it's not obvious visually when they're not truly clicked since the bar says down) & was intended to show how a child is ejected, but I was thinking it makes a good case against OHS in general with the "safe" dummy's face being smashed in :rolleyes:

wondering1

Arly, are your state laws being violated in having a child under 1 year of age forward facing? If so, I'd tell them that they are breaking the law and setting a dangerous example for others. If they still do nothing, then I'd not hesitate to visit their employer to discuss car safety and mention that these people do not properly restrain their child.

Washington state has a very cool program where you call to report parents violating child safety laws. The call results in education of the care giver(s) rather than a ticket. Do other states have a similar program?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Having been an EMT, there is NO training on carseats. None. Nada. Just that if a kid is in a carseat see if you can restrain them in that rather than remove them and strap them to a backboard. Then you strap the carseat to the stretcher (with the kid pretending to be an astronaut I guess, I never transported anyone). I took the NY and NC EMT classes and there was never a mention of carseat safety. So I wouldn't assume that her parents know better. Sometimes kids are injured, sometimes not, I wouldn't expect them to correlate FFing vs RFing and age.

Wendy

arly1983

Her dad, supposedly, knows something about carseat safety. He offered to check my seats :( (though that could mean just shaking them?)

Yes, after worrying about it. I am going to say something....I am just going to have to plan my words VERY carefully...I think I am going to go with the at least one year old and 22 lbs approach...

Misty-Bug

I saw that, too -- at the NHTSA regional conference.... It was a side by side with an unbuckled OHS (it's not obvious visually when they're not truly clicked since the bar says down) & was intended to show how a child is ejected, but I was thinking it makes a good case against OHS in general with the "safe" dummy's face being smashed in :rolleyes:

do you have a link for the video? I for the life of me couldn't find it. I couldn't believe what happened to that kid!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC