Question WWYD? Honda Ody Question

sfaqt18

I'm just curious as to what others would do...

My dilema (which isn't really that big of one!)....

I am getting a Honda Odyssey but not sure if I want a used 2011 (LOVE the body style) with low mileage but bare bones or get an 08 loaded with around 60k miles. I have to have DVD and power sliding doors. Don't care too much about leather, navigation and backup camera(I think...do I have to have one?!?).
If we get the used 11 we would have to have the DVD installed aftermarket...looking at around 26-28k for the 11 and 24-25k for the older loaded model.

So what would you do? I know that seems like a no brainier but Im having a hard time turning down the new body style!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I actually prefer the old body style, so we bought a used '10 rather than a new '11.

I'd say it all depends on what body style you want, since you can't change that. You can always add DVD and backup cameras. (I do consider back-up camera an important feature.)

So *I* would get the '08, but that's because I have no desire for an '11. So that probably doesn't help you much. :p

Freekel

I have a 2009 and love it! Although if someone offered me a 2011/2012 I would take it, lol. I like them both for different reasons, I like both body styles. I love that my 2009 you can remove the 2nd row middle seat and push the captains chairs together to make an aisle, so much easier (IMO) than the aisle in the middle if you have to get to the 3rd row. I know you can't do that with the 2011, but you can easily fit 3 across the 2nd row which is great! I don't think you can go wrong with either!
How many kids do you have? From what I understand the 2011 is more carseat friendly, as in more room for lots of carseats. I have 3 and have plenty of room in my 2009.

Pixels

For me it would depend on seven vs eight passengers. The 08 isn't actually eight passenger friendly, but it is my understanding that the 11 is. If you are looking at seven passenger models then I like the 08 better.

Syllieann

I have a loaded 07 and I literally just finished browsing the local honda dealer to see if they had a certified bare bones '11 in yet. I was toying w/ the idea of trading. Like pp, I actually prefer the old body style-I despise the lightning bolt beltline on the new one...but I could get over it. I really like the leather, don't care about the dvd or the nav BUT I love the backup camera, which I think is only available w/ the nav. We have 2 rf-ers now and will be ttc spring/summerish so we could possibly have 3 rfers and I really like the usable 3-across design on the 2011/2012. There were sizable safety improvements made in roof strength and cage design for SI on the 2011 and the scoring was changed for iihs so you can't really compare it w/ the past models but honda said 2.2 x stronger roof and 3ish x side impact strength iirc. idk if the difference in safety is worth it though since the older one is still a VERY safe vehicle to begin with. Lastly, the TT anchor for 3rd row center seat spans across the cargo area to the back hatch, making for an annoying situation where you give up your cargo space, move to the less desirable outboard seat, or move the ff kid up to the 2nd row and have to crawl into the 3rd row to buckle the rf kid...grrr...that is changed in the 2011/2012 so that all 3 seats in the 3rd row have tt anchors on the back of the seat. In summary, I think I'd go for the new one and get those little extras added aftermarket.

sfaqt18

I have a two year old in a Britax Boulevard and I am due in March. We are done having kiddos after that so I really don't have a preference for the 8 passenger van. I really don't mind the 08 body style at all either...I just really like the 2011 one...but I am also a pretty practical person and know I will end up buying the older van with more options in it for less money...and I'll probably love it just as much as I would've the 2011...If my husband wasn't dying for a truck then I could spend 30K on a really nice mini van..but with both of us buying vehicles in the next 6 months, it just doesn't make sense! Thanks for your opinions...off to make brownies!!

sheena

I have the 2008 odyssey model. We couldnt afford a new one with our budget but i do love my van. Drives smooth and is very room with lots of storage. The 8th seat is tiny but its there if you need to use it. I have only 2 kids so it wasnt an issue for us.

tl01

I'm just curious as to what others would do...

My dilema (which isn't really that big of one!)....

I am getting a Honda Odyssey but not sure if I want a used 2011 (LOVE the body style) with low mileage but bare bones or get an 08 loaded with around 60k miles. I have to have DVD and power sliding doors. Don't care too much about leather, navigation and backup camera(I think...do I have to have one?!?).
If we get the used 11 we would have to have the DVD installed aftermarket...looking at around 26-28k for the 11 and 24-25k for the older loaded model.

So what would you do? I know that seems like a no brainier but Im having a hard time turning down the new body style!

The 2011 ex would have the sliding doors and then you'd just have to get a DVD player added. That's what I would do. I prefer the new body style too and prefer the seating arrangement on the new one too.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had a 2008 and now have a 2011. I kind of regretted my "upgrade", with the exception of the Xenons (Touring Elite), and the better 8th seat.. I had a 2005 Sienna prior, and REALLY I could've just stuck with that all these years and been like $50,000 ahead of the game..

-N.

sfaqt18

I've looked and couldn't find a 2011 for less then 30k except at one dealership and it was the lx model. I think the sliding doors were powered but not on the key fob which I really want. I'm thinking the only way of really enjoy the 2011 is if I had the touring edition and 40k+ just isn't an option right now. I think I'd rather enjoy the inside then the outside so I'll o with an 08 loaded! Thanks for all your input. It's been fun seeing what you all think!

luckyclov

I prefer the old body style better (2005-2010). By far, actually. If you're looking for an 8 passenger and actually need to USE that 8th seat on a regular basis, though, the redesigned (2011+) Ody is a better choice.

sfaqt18

Just a little update!! We bought an 07 touring edition today! It's got all the bells and whistles and is beautifully maintained. We got an exceptional deal. I'm more excited about it because I know we didn't get over our heads in a large car payment or lease and we got everything we wanted on it!!!

Thanks for your opinions!!

tl01

Just a little update!! We bought an 07 touring edition today! It's got all the bells and whistles and is beautifully maintained. We got an exceptional deal. I'm more excited about it because I know we didn't get over our heads in a large car payment or lease and we got everything we wanted on it!!!

Thanks for your opinions!!

Awesome! Congrats! Hope you love it:).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC