Help for larger toddler

3acorns4Christy

I have a friend that has an almost 3 year old that weighs 42lbs. They live in Canada so their seat choices are few between. What would be the best choice to keep her harnessed? She may not fit width wise in the Radian, then what?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Maraton. TC has upped their limits to 65 pounds, so the Marathon would probably be a good fit. There's rumor that the Regent is coming to Canada at some point....

Wendy

Jewels

Senior Community Member
For seats that harness there is the Radian and hopefully soon we will be seeing the MA go to 65lbs on the market. I also have heard of the Regent coming to Canada; in fact the tech who was supposed to be teaching my CRS class has been sending me emails and one of them was about the Regent recall. I emailed her and asked if she had seen Regents in Canada (since they are illegal, wondering what she would do/say) and what she thought of them. This was her response to me "wonderful seat......and it is at Transport Canada level now....but not yet on Cdn market due to wt limit that US has set for the harness straps." So hopefully it will come soon!
Apex is pretty wide in the seating area as well
I heard that the Apex isn't increasing the weight limit to 65lbs though :(

The evenflo seats harness to 47lbs:
Evenflo Bolero/Generations make a decent booster
Evenflo Chase makes a ok booster

The Graco Cargo harness' to 48lbs and makes an ok booster.

And of course there is the Apex that will harness to 48lbs and makes a decent booster.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I would try out the Radian before you discount it too quickly. It is a very narrow seat, however, it's interior measurements are pretty much the same as the Marathons.

The Radian has 1/2 an inch less in hip room and 2" MORE in shoulder room for interior measurements over the Marathon. I think the Radian would be a better option over the Marathon.

I would also look at the Evenflo Bolero/Generations. Harnesses to 47lbs and then makes a decent booster.

The Apex also harnesses to 48lbs and then makes a decent booster... but it does require that you have vehicle headrests behind it in order to use it. The seat needs to be completely supported by the vehicle seat/headrest.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm with Jen. I'd go the Radian route - direct her to babyproofing plus who has the 65lb stock and then she'll have the highest weight limit available at the moment.

How tall is the 3yo old? What seat is he in now? What province does he live in? What vehicle does he ride in? How close is he to turning 4 and is he gaining weight quickly or has he plateaued some what?

In terms of combo seats, my recommendation would be the Generations/Bolero because it has a nice wide seating area, harnesses to 47lbs and makes a decent booster. That buys him another 5lbs which should be a year anyways. Not ideal by any means, but if the other seats aren't possible, it's better than a booster at this age...

I would only go with a seat with a 47 or 48lb weight limit if he wouldn't fit a radian and couldn't get a MA with a 65lb weight limit on it. I don't think any of the new weight Marathon's have shown up in Canada yet...

tiger926

We have a very long torsoed daughter - she is 4 years old, 41.5" and 41lbs, and the Marathon didn't work for her at all, but in the Radian she is on the 2nd top slot from the top. We really wanted to get a Marathon for 1 car, and Radian for the other, but we found that the Marathon was not a good fit for her whereas the Radian was as it has the highest top slots on market.

I would stay away from Evenflo Chase/Traditions as she outgrew this in 5 months - seats are way too short and so she could only use it for a few months, which was ok (although seat cost $140.00 at Sears) as the Radian then came out and that is a great fit for her.

Good luck, Tiger :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC