omg! they didn't even install it!

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, so I have these neighbors... They moved in last October, and are generally nice enough people, but aren't home very much so I don't really know them all that well. Their daughter is a month younger than DD, and roughly the same size (or at least they were last time they played, about 2 months ago).

Anyway, when they moved in, the girl was 8 months old. And FF in a OHS :eek: I tried to get super-friendly, to no avail, and now I guess it's a moot point. I really wanted to say something, but they are NEVER home (they leave the house before we wake up in the morning, and get home after it's dark - even on weekends).

So, anyway, fat forward to 10 minutes ago: they've been on vacation for the past week or so I guess, and they were driving some sort of SUV/truck thing (one of those weird hybrid vehicles that kinda look like both). They have an Acura, which they left at home (it's pertinent info, I promise). So, I see the dad take the seat out of the truck, and sling in into the backseat of the Acura (in the passenger outboard). He left the door open, so I ASSUMED he was going to install it... then he got in the truck, the mom PUTS THE LITTLE GIRL IN THE SEAT, and drives off. I was on the phone with a friend of mine, and was standing at the door, mostly because that's where I always stand while I'm on the phone (because I'm a weirdo). I was like "OMG, OMG, what do I do?!?!"

SO, what do I do. I have to say something. That's insane. I know 100% that it wasn't installed AT ALL. I'm thinking about going over tonight (or whenever I see them home next :rolleyes:) and being like "I just got certified as a CPS tech, and I work with Pittsburgh PD once a month or so installing seats. I was just down at (neighbor friends with 2 kids)'s house doing their seats, do you want me to make sure your seat's installed well?"

Or would that sound crazy? Ya'll, I'm about to pass out. This is right up there with the new mama coming to my seat check last month holding the baby in her lap in the front seat. :eek:

ADS

LuvMyGirls

I would definitely go over there when they get home. But, I would put it as, "I just got certified as a CPS tech and I'm supposed to check as many seats as possible in the next few months to gain experience. Could I check your daughter's car seat?" That way they can feel like they are helping you by letting you check it. If you offer to help them, they may try to tell you "no, thanks."

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I would definitely go over there when they get home. But, I would put it as, "I just got certified as a CPS tech and I'm supposed to check as many seats as possible in the next few months to gain experience. Could I check your daughter's car seat?" That way they can feel like they are helping you by letting you check it. If you offer to help them, they may try to tell you "no, thanks."

Ohh, I'm so using that! Done. I don't care if they get home at midnight (well, yeah I do, since I'll be Harry Pottering at that point ;)). I can't believe it!

CrabbyBunchX3

That is a good suggestion! I couldn't think of anything except that poor child all over the place in the back seat.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, so they got home last night, but had left the baby with someone else for the night, as they came home in a different car and without the car seat. They left early this morning (while I was out getting Harry Potter), and JUST got home about 5 minutes ago, and I'm in the middle of making dinner.

I PROMISE to update, really.

singingpond

Maybe some people assume the convertible seat is sort of like a baby bucket -- i.e. that you strap the child into the seat and that the assembled 'package' is placed in the car; the only difference being that you don't need that annoying base in your car any more once your kid graduates from the bucket?? Maybe they imagine the function of the seat to be restraining the child, in the sense that the child can't freely climb around inside the car when attached to the seat? Still hard to imagine the thought process, though... what about reading the manual?... what about common sense?? I hope your neighbors are just really ignorant, and willing to learn from you when you speak to them.

Katrin

harnessed4ever

even at that, It's common knowledge that you have to anchor the seat to something. Otherwise you're basically putting a backpack on an unrestrained child.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Woah ho ho ladies!!!!! You're supposed to secure a baby seat to something in the back seat? It's not safe just to throw the kid in and pray she doesn't flip around too much in the car? Isn't it safer to let them roll around back there half restrained? :thumbsdown: I"m tellin' ya, there needs to be some manditory parental test before you can take your kid home from the hospital

:doh:

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Re: omg! they didn't even install it! UPDATE (ish)

OK, so I was sitting in the living room next to the front door reading Harry Potter (just ya know, sort of waiting... :p).

I heard the dad open the front door and say something, so I JUMP up, and nonchalantly :rolleyes: go to my car to retrieve DD's car seat, so that I can change the covers (because, you know... I need to. Right now). I say hi, go to my car, and then do my "oh yeah!" expression, and walk over as he's putting the little girl in the seat (P.S. I saw no chest clip, but it might have just been super low (below the shield?) I can hope). I mentioned that I got my CPS cert (and told him what it was), and that I was working with the Pittsburgh PD doing seat checks and stuff, as a community involvement sorta thing (P.S., that was a small fib, I work next to police officers during seat checks, but I knew if I mentioned PPD, it would get his attention). He was like "Oh, wow, that's cool". I offered to check his daughter's seat when they got home (they looked a little rushed, and I want to give them lots of info, not rush along). He seemed receptive-ish... We'll see tonight when they get home, and I'm outside doing... something (I feel weird knocking on their door, so the best bet is to wait when we're both outside at the same time, lol)

harnessed4ever

Re: omg! they didn't even install it! UPDATE (ish)

Well that's the first step out of the way. I hope you have sucess with the "inspection". Keep us posted, it's really great that your not only looking out for your own child's safety, but for the safety of other children.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Gotta be delicate to catch them... don't want to pull the string too soon! (edit, wow, the picture worked...know what I mean? you have to be delicate and patient, wait for him to be interested in walking in that box to get that bait, THEN you'll catch 'em! good luck!)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC