Silverstar headlights

beeman

I just purchased myself a set for my F150, and really like them. Does anyone else have them and what are your opinions? I know they're not as nice to meet on the highway, but it's nice to be able to see things a lot brighter.

ADS

southpawboston

the silverstar is a brighter, whiter light, than a traditional bulb, right?

i tend to stick with the stock bulbs that my cars come with, but that's just because that last two cars came with pretty bright headlights. but i DO always replace my fog light bulbs with yellow bulbs (yellow cuts fog best).

solmama

These kinds of headlights may increase the visibility of the vehicle being driven, but there is some debate about them causing temporary night blindness in other drivers leading to accidents. I have no hard info on this, I just remember reading it somewhere.

southpawboston

i don't think the silverstars fall into that category of headlamps that distract oncoming drivers. those are the high intensity discharge (HID) lights that have a bluish-tint to them. they are usually found on high-end cars and there have been many complaints about them being too distracting and piercing to oncoming drivers. also, the blue-ish light they produce is supposedly better for clear weather visibility but worse than a regular white headlight for rainy conditions, so their overall value is debated.

of course, one of the easiest and worthwhile safety "tuneups" you can do for yourself and for other drivers is to have your headlights aimed once every couple of years, and definitely after any type of accident, regardless of what kind of bulbs you have. the up/down and left/right aim is adjustable and most shops can do that for about $30.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We have HID'S on our MazdaSpeed3 and I will NEVER buy another vehicle WITHOUT them. They are an absolute dream to see with at night. We drove the vehicle home from Spokane, WA to Calgary, AB... a 1000 mile trip. We drove through curvy mountains, flat prairies, total darkness with and without snow at night, and have since driven the car in some pretty rainy/stormy conditions. The HID's are amazing and much better than traditional headlights in *every single* situation.

I don't find HID's to be a problem with oncoming cars. I also never have people flashing me when I'm driving the Speed3, so I don't think my HID's are a problem for other drivers either.

I think the problem stems from people not adjusting the aim on their headlights. I have come across both HID's and traditional lights on the highways at night and none of them bother me, except the ones that are aimed too high. Just my :twocents:

Edited to add: We also have manual leveling of the lights on our car and this is a fantastic feature. Very easy to lower your headlights if they appear too high... just adjust down with the push of a button.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I just purchased myself a set for my F150, and really like them. Does anyone else have them and what are your opinions? I know they're not as nice to meet on the highway, but it's nice to be able to see things a lot brighter.

My dh has been running them in his Chevy 2500HD Silverado for several years now and loves them. I must say they are a LOT better then the OEM lights that came on the truck. He actually replaced the OEM to the Silverstar b/c I complained about not being able to see to far in front of the vehicle at night.

beeman

I've driven a few vehicles with the traditional headlights that were aimed too low and they were imposible to see anything with. My lights were as close to properly adjusted as I could get them before and I still find the silverstar way better. As for the HID's I don't have a problem with them unless they are aimed too high.
Personally I'm still a fan of the traditional sealed beam headlight that are easily adjusted, and you get a new lens everytime they burn out, but my 95 is too new for those.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC