Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Silverstar headlights

I just purchased myself a set for my F150, and really like them. Does anyone else have them and what are your opinions? I know they're not as nice to meet on the highway, but it's nice to be able to see things a lot brighter.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Silverstar headlights

the silverstar is a brighter, whiter light, than a traditional bulb, right?

i tend to stick with the stock bulbs that my cars come with, but that's just because that last two cars came with pretty bright headlights. but i DO always replace my fog light bulbs with yellow bulbs (yellow cuts fog best).
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Senior Community Member solmama's Avatar

These kinds of headlights may increase the visibility of the vehicle being driven, but there is some debate about them causing temporary night blindness in other drivers leading to accidents. I have no hard info on this, I just remember reading it somewhere.
    DD-12 years, 68"
    DS-10 years, 60"

CPS Fanatic

i don't think the silverstars fall into that category of headlamps that distract oncoming drivers. those are the high intensity discharge (HID) lights that have a bluish-tint to them. they are usually found on high-end cars and there have been many complaints about them being too distracting and piercing to oncoming drivers. also, the blue-ish light they produce is supposedly better for clear weather visibility but worse than a regular white headlight for rainy conditions, so their overall value is debated.

of course, one of the easiest and worthwhile safety "tuneups" you can do for yourself and for other drivers is to have your headlights aimed once every couple of years, and definitely after any type of accident, regardless of what kind of bulbs you have. the up/down and left/right aim is adjustable and most shops can do that for about $30.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

We have HID'S on our MazdaSpeed3 and I will NEVER buy another vehicle WITHOUT them. They are an absolute dream to see with at night. We drove the vehicle home from Spokane, WA to Calgary, AB... a 1000 mile trip. We drove through curvy mountains, flat prairies, total darkness with and without snow at night, and have since driven the car in some pretty rainy/stormy conditions. The HID's are amazing and much better than traditional headlights in *every single* situation.

I don't find HID's to be a problem with oncoming cars. I also never have people flashing me when I'm driving the Speed3, so I don't think my HID's are a problem for other drivers either.

I think the problem stems from people not adjusting the aim on their headlights. I have come across both HID's and traditional lights on the highways at night and none of them bother me, except the ones that are aimed too high. Just my

Edited to add: We also have manual leveling of the lights on our car and this is a fantastic feature. Very easy to lower your headlights if they appear too high... just adjust down with the push of a button.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    I just purchased myself a set for my F150, and really like them. Does anyone else have them and what are your opinions? I know they're not as nice to meet on the highway, but it's nice to be able to see things a lot brighter.
    My dh has been running them in his Chevy 2500HD Silverado for several years now and loves them. I must say they are a LOT better then the OEM lights that came on the truck. He actually replaced the OEM to the Silverstar b/c I complained about not being able to see to far in front of the vehicle at night.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

I've driven a few vehicles with the traditional headlights that were aimed too low and they were imposible to see anything with. My lights were as close to properly adjusted as I could get them before and I still find the silverstar way better. As for the HID's I don't have a problem with them unless they are aimed too high.
    Personally I'm still a fan of the traditional sealed beam headlight that are easily adjusted, and you get a new lens everytime they burn out, but my 95 is too new for those.