Disturbing RF crashtest videos

ADS

canadiangie

I would love to ride down a crash like that. You can almost literally see the seat turn into a giant cradle wrapping around the dummy's body, head, neck and spine kept fully aligned. Aside from the last clip, things look good to me. :)

khanbulgarski

I believe there is a general misunderstanding about what a crash run down time really is. I am still of the opinion that most of those videos are true failiures because the seats are not in contact against dash/front seat. Here is why:

This is a quote from a very knowlegable professional, named Robert Bell who has been working in the field for 30 + years. Questioned by a blogger which child seat configuration is the safest here's what he says:

"Content Removed by Admin".

Last edited by a moderator:

Brianna

The safEST thing to do would be to never leave the house. Since this is impractical, all we can do is make children as safe as we can with what we have. In the US, it simply is not safe to place a rear facing seat in the front to be braced on the dash as airbags can deploy when they shouldn't. We know it is safER to rear face than forward face, as evidenced in your quote
Rearward facing seats in the rear are
disadvantaged by the rear seat back, which moves more than the dashboard,
but they are still superior to forward facing CRS in this regard.
so that is what we do.

Baylor

khanbulgarski said:
I believe there is a general misunderstanding about what a crash run down time really is. I am still of the opinion that most of those videos are true failiures because the seats are not in contact against dash/front seat. Here is why:

This is a quote from a very knowlegable professional, named Robert Bell who has been working in the field for 30 + years. Questioned by a blogger which child seat configuration is the safest here's what he says:

*quote removed*

Okay. Again no expert here. However if you anchor a seat so hard in the car that it is not flexible than the only thing moving would be the child.

In those videos those first seats bend and move with the child as one unit. Protecting the child.

Forward facing may be different but after seeing those videos if I could rf my 3 yr old again I would.

auto-correct on the loose..

Last edited by a moderator:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The safEST thing to do would be to never leave the house. Since this is impractical, all we can do is make children as safe as we can with what we have. In the US, it simply is not safe to place a rear facing seat in the front to be braced on the dash as airbags can deploy when they shouldn't. We know it is safER to rear face than forward face, as evidenced in your quote so that is what we do.
I don't believe the OP is saying that U.S. seats should be braced against the dash? The OP is in Bulgaria, this is the Canadian & International forum. From what I am reading, the OP is trying to have a discussion on these European seats and how they are performing in crash tests WITHOUT being braced on the dash and how that might improve if they ARE braced against the dash. Which is allowed in Europe for vehicles that have a switch to turn off the air bags. I believe there are European vehicles that do NOT have a switch and have advanced air bag sensors like we have here...can someone confirm that? I'm pretty sure I read either AD or another European poster say that at one point. So, the OP's suggestion of manufacturers moving sensors, could apply to those European vehicles without a switch.

So, my impression is that the discussion is about European seats and European vehicles, and the international forum is the appropriate place for this.

khanbulgarski

Okay. Again no expert here. However if you anchor a seat so hard in the car that it is not flexible than the only thing moving would be the child.

In those videos those first seats bend and move with the child as one unit. Protecting the child.

Forward facing may be different but after seeing those videos if I could rf my 3 yr old again I would.

Yes, that is what we want. Then the internal harness system of the seat would do its job, and the EPS foam, and slow the child in a controlled manner. Unchecked movement of the entire system means that there is less time for stoping and more energy that can cause injuries.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My first thought was, despite the scariness of the 4th video -- seatbelt failure? -- I think that child is STILL better protected RFing. It's the shell that is taking the impact on the vehicle floor (or whatever) and the child is impacting the child seat. It would be a different story if that child were FF.

I don't *love* #3 but I am ok with it. It looks as if all three seats did their jobs.

khanbulgarski

I don't believe the OP is saying that U.S. seats should be braced against the dash? The OP is in Bulgaria, this is the Canadian & International forum. From what I am reading, the OP is trying to have a discussion on these European seats and how they are performing in crash tests WITHOUT being braced on the dash and how that might improve if they ARE braced against the dash. Which is allowed in Europe for vehicles that have a switch to turn off the air bags. I believe there are European vehicles that do NOT have a switch and have advanced air bag sensors like we have here...can someone confirm that? I'm pretty sure I read either AD or another European poster say that at one point. So, the OP's suggestion of manufacturers moving sensors, could apply to those European vehicles without a switch.

So, my impression is that the discussion is about European seats and European vehicles, and the international forum is the appropriate place for this.

Yes, we have these branded child seats that have internal sensors that communicate with similar sensors located in the vehicle's dashboard which turn the airbag off. However, these are not very popular and the manual switch is much more trusted. Also, to my knowledge we do not have smart airbags so leaning against the seat/dash is not an issue.

khanbulgarski

My first thought was, despite the scariness of the 4th video -- seatbelt failure? -- I think that child is STILL better protected RFing. It's the shell that is taking the impact on the vehicle floor (or whatever) and the child is impacting the child seat. It would be a different story if that child were FF.

I don't *love* #3 but I am ok with it. It looks as if all three seats did their jobs.

For sure RF is much safer- no argument here. But RF is Safest when the seat is braced.

khanbulgarski

I don't think that is an absolute.

It is backed by serious science and research in Europe for European cars and seats. As would probably Adventuredad confirm it is also tested by 1/2 a century of experience in Sweden. No other practice in any country is coming even near the quality of those seats and the expertise the Scandinavians are having about RF, so I am prone to believe that when they explain the psysics of Crash run down time that is coming from the internal harness and the need for a seat staying in place they know what they are saying.

khanbulgarski

Is there any data from the dummies that shows higher injury rates for unbraced seats?

Not any that I have access to. Just statistics that is unparallelled and the knowledge that professionals in those countries do brace the seats. Also, the article that I posted from a person that is actually in the field and is explaining the theoretical science behind this idea. Also the videos that everybody consider to be a failure or malfunction of a sort are not, because those seats are not meant to be used unbraced. So technically it is an incorrect use. If those were braced they'd have stayed in place.

Baylor

khanbulgarski said:
Not any that I have access to. Just statistics that is unparallelled and the knowledge that professionals in those countries do brace the seats. Also, the article that I posted from a person that is actually in the field and is explaining the theoretical science behind this idea.

Do you have any links to that data? I would like to read it if in English ;).

So are you discussing this in the context that you believe all rf seats should be braced or european only.

Brianna

It is backed by serious science and research in Europe for European cars and seats. As would probably Adventuredad confirm it is also tested by 1/2 a century of experience in Sweden. No other practice in any country is coming even near the quality of those seats and the expertise the Scandinavians are having about RF, so I am prone to believe that when they explain the psysics of Crash run down time that is coming from the internal harness and the need for a seat staying in place they know what they are saying.

We know of the low injury rates in Sweden- but that's not comparing apples to apples. To determine which is safer- unbraced or braced- we would need to compare Sweden, who braces, to another country or area that also rear faces to 4 but doesn't brace.

Not any that I have access to. Just statistics that is unparallelled and the knowledge that professionals in those countries do brace the seats. Also, the article that I posted from a person that is actually in the field and is explaining the theoretical science behind this idea.

I understand the theory, but what kind of difference is there in reality?

Pixels

Your so-called expert seems to be neglecting the fact that the vehicle designers included seat belt stretch when they designed the vehicle. Seat belts are supposed to stretch, as it does increase ride down time. By bracing against a rigid structure such as the dash, you are all but eliminating that component of the vehicle's designed safety system.

Seat belts are supposed to stretch. They could make them with no stretch, or much less stretch, but they don't for a reason. If you look closely at a seat belt, you will see that it is made up of diagonally woven fibers. It is this diagonal weave that gives the seat belt its stretch. If the fibers ran the length of the belt, it would have much less stretch and the passenger would be more tightly coupled to the vehicle chassis. Coupling to the chassis is beneficial to a degree, but there comes a point where there needs to be some give. Seat belt design has accommodated this, by balancing tightly restraining the occupant and also stretching to allow more ride down time.

LATCH/UAS/ISOFIX belts and the internal harnesses on child restraints are also designed the same way. Some stretch is good.

Your expert mentions that many/most forward facing seats exceed the 550 mm standard limit for forward motion. If this is true, how are these seats legal? I know that in the US and Canada, any seat that is found to not comply with the standard would be recalled.

It is also worth noting that the child is NOT "cruis[ing], motion unchecked, forward in space" unless the seat and/or harness were too loose to begin with. If the seat was properly installed with a tight belt, and the harness was properly tightened, the motion is being checked by the seat belt and harness, which are stretching as designed to give the child more time to slow down.

Your expert also touts the tighter attachment of rigid ISOFIX. Again, he is neglecting that many seat manufacturers have designed a crumple zone of sorts into their rigid ISOFIX, because some give is desirable. The stretch of the webbing that was lost is replaced by a crumple zone. If the best performance was to be had by coupling the dummy to the chassis as tightly as possible, why would they intentionally partially de-couple them?

In the US, historically our seats have been made out of flexible plastics. Now we are seeing a trend towards metal frames and metal reinforcement, and at the same time we are hearing from the manufacturers that they are having to add other design components to the seat because the seat is too rigid. Too rigid, no flex, transfers too much energy to the child. And that is exactly what I was talking about earlier, when I said that watching a video doesn't tell the whole story - what were the injury measures experienced by these dummies? I'm sure that in the prototype stage, when these metal-reinforced seats were too stiff and were passing too much energy to the child, the crash test looked just fine but yet the dummies had extreme injuries.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC