Correct placement of 2 carseats for minivan.

M

Mom0f2

I've been reading through the posts- and wanted to make sure this was correct.
I have a '06 Sienna with two middle row bucket seats. Only passenger side bucket seat can be moved to the middle. My son will be 2 and forward facing (evenflo triumph) by the time I install my infant rear facing (graco) carseat.
FF toddler stays in the middle bucket seat 2nd row- and infant behind the driver? Is that the safest placement for my children?
How safe is the third row of a minivan?

ADS

SarahP

Hopefully one of the techs will come along and comment on the rest of your post but . . .
I believe that the center of the second row is the safest position in the van and so should go to the RF infant as he/she would be the smallest and most vulnerable.

I've been reading through the posts- and wanted to make sure this was correct.
I have a '06 Sienna with two middle row bucket seats. Only passenger side bucket seat can be moved to the middle. My son will be 2 and forward facing (evenflo triumph) by the time I install my infant rear facing (graco) carseat.
FF toddler stays in the middle bucket seat 2nd row- and infant behind the driver? Is that the safest placement for my children?
How safe is the third row of a minivan?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Hopefully one of the techs will come along and comment on the rest of your post but . . .
I believe that the center of the second row is the safest position in the van and so should go to the RF infant as he/she would be the smallest and most vulnerable.

That is the big debate on here. While the infant is more fragile but the ff'ing child is the more vulnerable of substaning injuries.

I have always been taught the least protected in the center.

Least to most protected would be
seatbelt only passenger
booster seat passenger
ff'ing carseat passenger
rf'ing passenger

My question to the OP is what is your oldest child's weight? We on here strongly urge you to keep your oldest rear facing to the full weight limit of his Truimph or 1" of seat shell above his head. At 2yrs old he should still be within both of those limits so he would be safest to remain rear facing until he reaches either 1 of those limits.

If you have both rear facing then I would put newborn in the center and oldest outboard.

But, If the oldest is ff'ing then he needs to be in the center & newborn outboard.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
My question to the OP is what is your oldest child's weight? We on here strongly urge you to keep your oldest rear facing to the full weight limit of his Truimph or 1" of seat shell above his head. At 2yrs old he should still be within both of those limits so he would be safest to remain rear facing until he reaches either 1 of those limits.

If you have both rear facing then I would put newborn in the center and oldest outboard.

But, If the oldest is ff'ing then he needs to be in the center & newborn outboard.

I agree. Here's some info about ERF:

- http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/StayRearFacing.aspx

- here's crashtest photos of a child FF and RF from the above link:
CrashTest.jpg

- recently, there are a crash in New Zealand where a 2 y.o. little girl suffered severe neck injuries. The judge actually commented that she would've fared much better if she had been rear-facing (the seats there don't allow rear-facing to higher weights like they do here)

We turned our son FF at 11 months old, I believe. Knowing what I know now as a tech and after hanging out on this board, I will keep any future children RF to the limit of the seat. Your child not "unsafe" FF but would be much safer RF.

CRS

Senior Community Member
- recently, there are a crash in New Zealand where a 2 y.o. little girl suffered severe neck injuries. The judge actually commented that she would've fared much better if she had been rear-facing (the seats there don't allow rear-facing to higher weights like they do here)

Just a teeny tiny correction... It was the doctors at the hospital that commented that the injuries most likely would have been prevented had she been rear-facing, not the judge :) Story here http://www.stuff.co.nz/4144421a10.html

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC