Recaro ProSport for SN kid??

anna

I was told there are some people on here with special needs training so I'm hoping you can help me.:)

I need another car seat for my 6 yo to replace one that was in an accident and close to being outgrown. She’s 34lbs 43.5” and has CP.

She’s currently riding in a Britax Frontier in DH’s car. It works great as a second seat for occasional use but after using it exclusively for the last 3 months we’re realizing it’s not ideal for everyday use or long trips. The issue is that when she’s tired or sick she tends to slump forward or to the side in the seat. I can’t imagine that this is safe and it’s definitely not comfortable for her.

I think she needs something with more recline and/or more padding and support on the sides (for her hips) It looks like from the pics I’ve seen that the ProSport would work. But there aren’t any around here that I can try out in person.

Do any of you have experience with this seat for a kid with muscle tone issues? (very high tone from waist down, mild low tone in her trunk which gets worse when she's tired)
Is the harness height comparable to the frontier?

Any online retailers with a really good return policy? Any new seats out there that might work? (radian and nautilus are both too upright/not supportive enough for her)

Thanks in advance for your help.:)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would actually consider the ProRIDE. It is very deep and narrow, which is why I *don't* usually recommend it for older children, but it is likely to work well for your particular situation.

firemomof3

I agree, the ProSport does install very upright. I would try a Graco Myride or Recaro ProRide. Both are reclined ff and have a excellent support :)

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
FF only seats tend to be more upright (except for the Regent, which is no longer made, and SN seats). Like PPs have mentioned, a convertible may work better for her.

How tall is her torso? All the convertibles mentioned are going to have shorter top harness slots than the FR (even the FF only ProSport has top slots that are about 2" shorter).

TyAndCheyMommy

I have a daughter with cp and very high tone. She has a few seats- and I can kind of describe how well and not well each work.

Sunshine kids radian- works well read facing but no support for her legs forward facing. She does not like it for long trips as she has to dangle her legs weird. Nice that it fits where we need it.

Graco my ride- was best seat for her- but she outgrew it height wise (she is 4 1/2). Reclines awesome ff. it was very difficult to lift her into and out of.

Britax regent doesnt work well for her at all because she slumps down and can't hold herself up.

True fit- works well but is very wide. We find she leans to one side and fav to make sure harness doesn't slip off her shoulder.

Frontier works well for her if we recline the vehicle seat a click or 2. Otherwise it is to upright. It takes a bit to get installed properly with seat bak reclined but it is doable.

Proride- while it does recline well it is heavy and doesn't leave her with much room at all. She looks squeezed in it.

Prosport- works great for her if we recline seat back one click. The harness is a bit lower than frontier but we aren't at part to be concerned with that. The harness is closer together at shoulders than frontier. The seat is a bit wide and doesn't hug my daughter like it looks like it would- but she is supported ok. The headrest isn't as comfortable as frontier but it allows us to add a small pillow or rolled blanket next to her head.

Where are you located? What do you drive?
If you are interested I can post pics of her in different seats.

jess71903

Ambassador
If you have a regular Frontier and not a Frontier 85, the top slots will be just about the same in the ProSport. I find that I can get mine quite reclined with the recline block forward and a click or 2 recline on the vehicle seat. The head wings and torso wings are nice, and would probably work well for your DD.

Have you checked into getting a special needs seat for her? I am not SN trained, but I know a common SN seat is the Traveler Plus, which is a Regent with bolsters for positioning. It may be that insurance would pay for it, too.

anna

Thank you all for your responses.:)
FF only seats tend to be more upright (except for the Regent, which is no longer made, and SN seats). Like PPs have mentioned, a convertible may work better for her.

How tall is her torso? All the convertibles mentioned are going to have shorter top harness slots than the FR (even the FF only ProSport has top slots that are about 2" shorter).
I'd love to keep her in a convertible but I'm concerned that she'd outgrow it in less than a year. Since we have to get a new one right now I'd like for it to last as long as possible. Her torso is 15.75". Do you know of any convertables with higher height limits than the Britax boulevard? That's what we're replacing.

I have a daughter with cp and very high tone. She has a few seats- and I can kind of describe how well and not well each work.

----- ------ ------

Frontier works well for her if we recline the vehicle seat a click or 2. Otherwise it is to upright. It takes a bit to get installed properly with seat bak reclined but it is doable.

Proride- while it does recline well it is heavy and doesn't leave her with much room at all. She looks squeezed in it.

Prosport- works great for her if we recline seat back one click. The harness is a bit lower than frontier but we aren't at part to be concerned with that. The harness is closer together at shoulders than frontier. The seat is a bit wide and doesn't hug my daughter like it looks like it would- but she is supported ok. The headrest isn't as comfortable as frontier but it allows us to add a small pillow or rolled blanket next to her head.

Where are you located? What do you drive?
If you are interested I can post pics of her in different seats.
Thanks for all this info. It's very helpful.
I never thought to install it with the vehicle seat reclined. The back seat in Dh's car doesn't recline but I'll have to try that in mine. I drive a Honda Odyssey btw.

We tried rolled up towels at her sides in the frontier but we couldn't get them to fit right and they wouldn't stay put. Looks like that might work better in the prosport though.

If it's not too much trouble pics would be helpful. Thanks.:D

If you have a regular Frontier and not a Frontier 85, the top slots will be just about the same in the ProSport. I find that I can get mine quite reclined with the recline block forward and a click or 2 recline on the vehicle seat. The head wings and torso wings are nice, and would probably work well for your DD.

Have you checked into getting a special needs seat for her? I am not SN trained, but I know a common SN seat is the Traveler Plus, which is a Regent with bolsters for positioning. It may be that insurance would pay for it, too.
It is a frontier 85 so it sounds like we would be loosing some height. Though not as much as going back to a convertable.

We have looked into getting a special needs seat but unfortunately insurance said no and I have enough to fight with them about at the moment.:mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC