Multi Tech vs. Foonf

tentoes

Has anyone owned a MT and been following Foonf updates and pictures Clek posted on their facebook wall? If so, care to weigh in on how both seats compare to each other? I'm mainly interested in RF height limits over weight limits (I know MTs allow the 'top-of-the-ears' rule for RF) for a 35 month old that's nearing the height limit on his RF Radian..

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If he's nearing the height limit now, do you think he'll make it to the summer before the Foonf comes out?

Wendy

firemomof3

You say he is nearing the height limit. How much room does he have before his head is within 1" of the shell? Is the Radian installed at 30 degrees?
I had a MT for a short while and didn't really care for it :duck: but it did offer more growing room :)

KaiLing

It's hard to tell from pictures and I've never really analysed the growing room in the MT since I've got a kid who will outgrow by weight. But isn't the Foonf height limit set somewhere in the 45" total height range? If that's the case I'd expect my long torsoed guy to outgrow the Foonf by height at about the same time as the radian. I'd guess he has slightly more growing room in his MT, or rather he did pre-angle adjuster; now I'm not so sure. (I'm away from the MT, or I'd give it a more direct comparison for you.)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's hard to tell from pictures and I've never really analysed the growing room in the MT since I've got a kid who will outgrow by weight. But isn't the Foonf height limit set somewhere in the 45" total height range? If that's the case I'd expect my long torsoed guy to outgrow the Foonf by height at about the same time as the radian. I'd guess he has slightly more growing room in his MT, or rather he did pre-angle adjuster; now I'm not so sure. (I'm away from the MT, or I'd give it a more direct comparison for you.)

Right now the Foonf is 45" or something, but I think they're testing to the 1". They said they had to work on that and the 45" wasn't set in stone forever and ever.

Wendy

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
firemomof3 said:
You say he is nearing the height limit. How much room does he have before his head is within 1" of the shell?
The Radian rule is 1.5" isn't it? Or is that just for the Diono branded versions?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

luckyclov

I think the 1.5" rule applies to all Radians, SKJP or Diono. It's not clear (actually, it's not addressed at all) in the SKJP manuals, but my understanding is the 1.5" is across-the-board.

tentoes

I have to measure again to see how much room he has; praying he lasts till summer before outgrowing the Radian. Its probably installed at a little more than 30º (waiting for the Angle Adjusters to be restocked).

Syllieann

The angle adjuster gave us a whole extra inch of growing room in the radian! The new rxt have a stated overall height limit of 44" and the foonf currently has a stated overall height limit of 43"-though it may change to 1" pending further testing as pp said. IMO the comfort foam in the bottom of the radian compresses more as the child grows so it's measured height is different than its functional height...that's my theory on the magical changing radian measurements anyway.

Angela

Here's the response I got when I asked about the 1" rule on the Radians:
'While we have no safety concern with a RF child whose head is only 1" from the top of Radian's seat back, we have used 1.5" as a more conservative guideline to account for the fabric cushion at the top.' ~Dave Clement
So, if you're measuring from the actual shell and not the padding, 1" is fine.

AK Dad

OK, so this is certainly bumping an old thread, but it's exactly what I'm working on right now, so I'm wondering if there have been any updates to this. I'm planning on doing a YouTube video comparing the MT to the Radian soon, but now I'm trying to sort out the true RF limits of the Foonf as well.
I have two Multi-Techs, and the limiting factor for height is actually 15.25" torso height (25" top of headrest in highest slot and child's eyes level with top of seat).
For the Radian I was figuring 23.5" seated height since the shell is 25", however maybe I can bump that to 24" based on the last post.
When I look at the measurements for the Foonf, it looks like it should be good to 25" seated height since the top headrest height is 26" - 1" = 25"
My question is, what's the deal with the stated 43" standing height limit for RF (44" stated for Radian)??? I just measured my daughter who's just under 50lbs and is 47" tall and her seated height is only 25.25", so she would have just barely outgrown the Foonf RF for the 1" below limit, but would have outgrown it over a year ago based on the 43" standing height limit! An extra year of RFing is huge, and a lot to give up for what seems to be an arbitrary standing height limit.
So, what's the deal? Anybody have any clarification on this? (I'm also bumping this thread back up because I just saw we have the Clek CPST on the forum now, so I'd love to get her input!)

Clek CPST

OK, so this is certainly bumping an old thread, but it's exactly what I'm working on right now, so I'm wondering if there have been any updates to this. I'm planning on doing a YouTube video comparing the MT to the Radian soon, but now I'm trying to sort out the true RF limits of the Foonf as well.
I have two Multi-Techs, and the limiting factor for height is actually 15.25" torso height (25" top of headrest in highest slot and child's eyes level with top of seat).
For the Radian I was figuring 23.5" seated height since the shell is 25", however maybe I can bump that to 24" based on the last post.
When I look at the measurements for the Foonf, it looks like it should be good to 25" seated height since the top headrest height is 26" - 1" = 25"
My question is, what's the deal with the stated 43" standing height limit for RF (44" stated for Radian)??? I just measured my daughter who's just under 50lbs and is 47" tall and her seated height is only 25.25", so she would have just barely outgrown the Foonf RF for the 1" below limit, but would have outgrown it over a year ago based on the 43" standing height limit! An extra year of RFing is huge, and a lot to give up for what seems to be an arbitrary standing height limit.
So, what's the deal? Anybody have any clarification on this? (I'm also bumping this thread back up because I just saw we have the Clek CPST on the forum now, so I'd love to get her input!)

You are correct that the standing rf height limit for the Foonf is 43." The Foonf was designed to accommodate most children to age 4 in the rear-facing position and the 43" is based on that.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC