Other than the Regent, what seat harnesses tall kiddos?

TheQueenMother

My 6 y/o weighs 50 lbs, but is squished in a MA shoulder wise and height wise. I need to get a better option for her. I do not trust the Regent just yet, are there other options out there for kiddos with tall torsos?
Amanda

ADS

Dillipop

The next highest slots are on the safeguard seat. They measure about 19.5 or so. I think it has more room than the marathon. However, it retails for $400-450. Next in line is the radian ($200) with 18+ top slots. Should have a bit more shoulder room than the marathon. Both these seats have somewhat short depths in the seating area, though. For kids with long legs, this may be a problem. The regent has a nice deep seating area.

If you can wait a little while, the new recaro seat ($250 or so) is coming out and is rumored to have 19 in top slots. Not sure of the seat depth, though.

The regent really is a great seat, though. I have total faith in it's ability to restrain my kids and it is the only seat out there that will harness my kids the longest.

HTH and good luck with your decision!

harnessed4ever

The Radian 80 will also work. I personally like the regent. If you have a lap belt only seat, EZ-on makes a great seatless harness that holds up to 168 lbs.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The EZOn Kid-Y or 86Y harness can also be used with a lap/shoulder belt + almost any dedicated booster ... but, I'd contact their customer service just to make sure about the chosen booster and/or vehicle, etc. > www.ezonpro.com (personally, I'm planning to have Leila use the Kid-Y with Compass B510 in our plow truck & maybe her older cousin who we may adopt to use use the 86Y with Clek in the 3rd row of my van)

harnessed4ever

I really don't like the EZ ons, especially when using them with older kids. The straps they have are thinner than the ones on my marathon so when I wanted to keep Lyra harnessed after she outgrew her Husky I found this seatless harness that looks like the harness found in go karts at amusement parks, it really holds her tight!!! They are such a bargain because they even hold edults of any size. I have all three back seats of my car equiped with them. I even use them sometimes, they're really awesome

lovinwaves

If the child is already being squished in the Marathon then I would not recommend the Radian.

The new Recaro would be a great option. The Safeguard would be also but it is $$$$$.

harnessed4ever

I have a fellow mom who's child uses the safeguard go. I don't like it because the straps are so thin and the shoulder height adjustment isn't very secure. I say a reagent or husky is your best bet

harnessed4ever

I know, but you can buy barely used huskies and reagents on craigslist. That's where I got mine, and I'm uber picky about safety stuff, it passed the checklist with flying colors

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
But, how do you really know it passed? Much crash damage cannot be seen with the naked eye & anyone could/would lie to sell their stuff.... If you wouldn't trust the previous owner to care for your child overnight in your absence, then you shouldn't buy their seat -- it's no different than puting your child's life in their hands (can you honestly trust a stranger?)

lovinwaves

I know, but you can buy barely used huskies and reagents on craigslist. That's where I got mine, and I'm uber picky about safety stuff, it passed the checklist with flying colors

Again, PLEASE do not give this advice. This is very unsafe, and there is no way a carseat will pass the "Used Carseat Checklist" if you bought it from a stranger ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Go is perfectly safe (the straps are made to the same legal standards as all other seats), but not much taller than the Marathon. Radian 65 is a bit taller, but unless you can hand it down to another child, it's expensive for 6-12 months of use. Safeguard Child Seat is rather taller than the MA, not as tall as the Regent. I don't think there's anything not to trust about the Regent, just make sure it fits in your car with the short belt path and top tether, and it'll be fine. RideSafer Travel Vest is also great, particularly if you have a lap/shoulderbelt in the center position (it's not much on side impact protection, but it's a great restraint system, might carry you over till you are comfortable with the Regent).

Don't buy used unless you trust the seller with your child's life. Seriously, if they are lying about the crash status of the seat they are selling, it could be deadly, and people DO lie :(

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

How do you know? Do you know the seller(s)?

I know you said (on another thread) that you bought your seats from friends. Did they reassure you that the seats have absolutely, positively never been in an accident?

I just want to make sure, since this is of CRITICAL importance. :)

harnessed4ever

You are so right. The seller was actually a friend of mine who I trust dearly. I only advocate craigslist because it really is for a good cause, but it's true that child seats aren't something you buy from strangers.

harnessed4ever

it is a really great place for people to sell things fast for reasonable amounts of cash. Everyone there is friendly, I've never had a bad experience buying things via craigslist. It itself doesn't donate to place.

Connor's Mom

it is a really great place for people to sell things fast for reasonable amounts of cash. Everyone there is friendly, I've never had a bad experience buying things via craigslist. It itself doesn't donate to place.

You must not have bought/sold many things on craigslist, lol.
I have several times got to someones house or meet them what ever to buy something to find that it was TOTALLY misrepresented. Like "I'm sorry. That picture was taken 4 years ago when I bought the jog stroller" Mean while they have left it on the porch in the rain for the cats to pee all over. Yes that happened to me and they wanted $85 for that stroller that had only cost them $100 brand new. :thumbsdown:
And I can't count the times on 2 hands that I have tried to sell something, some ones says they want it and you set up a place to meet halfway and then they don't show. And it is always someone that halfway is still 25 miles, lol.

harnessed4ever

must be a regional thing. I buy and sell of of stuff there and never had a bad experience. I guess portland is just a real great place....

harnessed4ever

I'm not being hard on austin! I went there and had a great time last summer. I mean that it's just interesting how a classified ad business differs so much from city to city.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC