Question Should I buy the via?

Jessica61624

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Infant-Seat-Spiro/dp/B004JMG87O/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1324185376&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: The First Years Via Infant Car Seat, Spiro Navy: Baby[/ame]

For $63? It's not the seat I want. I really want the aton. Ive been saving gift cards from amazon and have $50 posted(another $20 that won't post for another week) so if I got it today I'd have to pay the rest out of pocket but I'd be saving a lot of money! Plus I'm worried its to early. I just started my second trimester. Wwyd? Buy it or hope for another mark down?

ADS

mamom

Personally I would wait, if I buy something I really don't want instead of what I want, I ususally end up buying both. Then I don't SAVE any money. Good luck on your decision.

Jessica61624

mamom said:
Personally I would wait, if I buy something I really don't want instead of what I want, I ususally end up buying both. Then I don't SAVE any money. Good luck on your decision.

I most likely wouldn't buy both. I'd just move the baby out of the bucket quicker.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have been using both the Aton and the Via. There are things I like and dislike about both.

Do you plan on leaving the seat in the base and removing baby a lot? If so, don't get the Aton.

Do you plan on installing without the base ever? If so, don't get the Via.

The Via is much heavier than the Aton.

The Via has a better canopy.

Personally, I'd get a KeyFit. :p

Jessica61624

LISmama810 said:
I have been using both the Aton and the Via. There are things I like and dislike about both.

Do you plan on leaving the seat in the base and removing baby a lot? If so, don't get the Aton.

Do you plan on installing without the base ever? If so, don't get the Via.

The Via is much heavier than the Aton.

The Via has a better canopy.

Personally, I'd get a KeyFit. :p

Haha I want a keyfit also. I will be leaving the base in and taking the baby in the seat a lot. Esp in and out of the house. I like the aton for the baseless install but I don't see myself needing to do it ever.

Syllieann

My beef w/ the via is that it can't be used past 22 lbs w/out the base which makes those nice lockoffs on the seat kind of pointless. Also, as much as I like the anti-rebound handle position, from what I understand, it *must* be in the arb position in the car, which would make me cross it off my list along w/ the baby trend and evenflo seats. Perhaps my interpretation of the instructions on it is wrong though, I sure hope so because I don't see everybody putting the handle down w/ each in/out of the car.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Syllieann said:
My beef w/ the via is that it can't be used past 22 lbs w/out the base which makes those nice lockoffs on the seat kind of pointless. Also, as much as I like the anti-rebound handle position, from what I understand, it *must* be in the arb position in the car, which would make me cross it off my list along w/ the baby trend and evenflo seats. Perhaps my interpretation of the instructions on it is wrong though, I sure hope so because I don't see everybody putting the handle down w/ each in/out of the car.

It does take some remembering to put the handle down, but, as with anything, it becomes routine.

The lockoffs on the base are such a horrible PITA that the 22-lb limit on using it baseless is rather moot. I can't see anyone wanting to use the seat baseless at any weight.

ConnorsMommy

I bought the Via off Amazon last week when it was $75. The price has been going down everyday since then :rolleyes:. I received it a few days ago. It does seem like a nice seat, just a little bulky. My baby isn't due for 5 more weeks so I haven't tested it with a baby in it. I also have been too busy to try it in my van. I liked the idea of being able to install it baseless since sometimes we go in other people's cars or the kids will go in grandparents cars. We don't ride in my husband's vehicle much (we use our van for family trips) so I probably won't buy another base for his car unless I can't get a good install without the base. By the time the baby is 22 lbs, he'll be in a RF convertible in other vehicles anyways. My son was 18 lbs at a year old, so I wouldn't be surprised if this baby follows a similar growth curve.
Just curious- why are people against installing this seat baseless? Isn't it true that either is safe as long as the seat is installed tight enough, with less than an inch of movement? Why would the manufacturer allow it to be installed baseless if it wasn't safe?
The handle having to be in the ARB position doesn't really bother me either. I like that feature because I never liked the fact that infant seatshave so much up and down movement.
I guess that you just need to think about the features that you want in a seat and see if the Via or Aton best meets your expectations. For us, price was a major factor so I went with a seat we could afford and had safety features that I liked.

lovemybabies924

I love the baseless install lock off!! The whole reason I want this seat for my next kidlet possibly..

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Jessica61624

ConnorsMommy said:
I bought the Via off Amazon last week when it was $75. The price has been going down everyday since then :rolleyes:. I received it a few days ago. It does seem like a nice seat, just a little bulky. My baby isn't due for 5 more weeks so I haven't tested it with a baby in it. I also have been too busy to try it in my van. I liked the idea of being able to install it baseless since sometimes we go in other people's cars or the kids will go in grandparents cars. We don't ride in my husband's vehicle much (we use our van for family trips) so I probably won't buy another base for his car unless I can't get a good install without the base. By the time the baby is 22 lbs, he'll be in a RF convertible in other vehicles anyways. My son was 18 lbs at a year old, so I wouldn't be surprised if this baby follows a similar growth curve.
Just curious- why are people against installing this seat baseless? Isn't it true that either is safe as long as the seat is installed tight enough, with less than an inch of movement? Why would the manufacturer allow it to be installed baseless if it wasn't safe?
The handle having to be in the ARB position doesn't really bother me either. I like that feature because I never liked the fact that infant seatshave so much up and down movement.
I guess that you just need to think about the features that you want in a seat and see if the Via or Aton best meets your expectations. For us, price was a major factor so I went with a seat we could afford and had safety features that I liked.

I think with this particular seat the lock offs are a pita and once they hit 22 lbs it requires a base. Price is a huge factor but I don't want a seat I'll hate because I'll end up buying something else.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It's not that it's unsafe to install without the base. It's that it's such a hassle it isn't even worth it. It would maybe be ok if you're going to install without the base and leave it there (which would also be somewhat of a PITA because you'd have to get the kid in while the seatbelt is over the feet all the time). It takes a considerable amount of time to get the seat in and then out, so if you plan on actually using it as a carrier, I would definitely go with something that installs easier.

The lockoffs are HARD. VERY hard and painful to undo. You need to use both lockoffs on the foot plus one on the back if you route around the back. If you don't wrap around the back, you need to use a locking clip also. Seriously. A locking clip.

ConnorsMommy

It's not that it's unsafe to install without the base. It's that it's such a hassle it isn't even worth it. It would maybe be ok if you're going to install without the base and leave it there (which would also be somewhat of a PITA because you'd have to get the kid in while the seatbelt is over the feet all the time). It takes a considerable amount of time to get the seat in and then out, so if you plan on actually using it as a carrier, I would definitely go with something that installs easier.

The lockoffs are HARD. VERY hard and painful to undo. You need to use both lockoffs on the foot plus one on the back if you route around the back. If you don't wrap around the back, you need to use a locking clip also. Seriously. A locking clip.

^^^^I won't be installing it baseless very often, maybe once or twice a month, so it's not a big deal to me. We use our van 95% of the time and that's where the base will be. I just like having the option. I played with the lock offs today in my living room (it snowed last night so I didn't want to try it in the car). The ones on the sides are harder to undo, but the one in the back wasn't too bad. Its not something I'd like to mess with everyday, but occasionally will be fine. If it really is too much of a pain, then I'll just take the base out of my van and install it in other vehicles.

I have to admit that I am a little frustrated with comments that some people make. Some of us can't afford an Aton, a OnBoard 35, KeyFit 35 or one of the other high end seats. This seat was something I could afford and I like it. Yes, its not perfect, but it will keep my child safe. I'd rather have this one than one of the cheaper seats that normally go for $65-75.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I have to admit that I am a little frustrated with comments that some people make. Some of us can't afford an Aton, a OnBoard 35, KeyFit 35 or one of the other high end seats. This seat was something I could afford and I like it. Yes, its not perfect, but it will keep my child safe. I'd rather have this one than one of the cheaper seats that normally go for $65-75.

And I don't think the Via is any less of a seat than the others you mentioned! It's a great seat and has lots of nice features! I really wanted one and it had nothing to do with the price; only the great features. If I could have got one here for $67, I totally would have snapped it up without a 2nd thought. As it is, the $169.99 it sells for here sure gets you a lot of seat. I'm not sure the SR35 I ended up with is worth $50 more than the Via.

(for the record, I went with a seat that had an adapter available for my stroller chassis as I spent a significant amount on my stroller and wasn't about to get a different stroller since I own a bazillion accessories and :love: the stroller!)

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ConnorsMommy said:

:confused: It sounded like the original poster was debating between the Via and the Aton, so I gave my opinion on the two seats. I threw out the KeyFit as an option because it's a similar price as the Aton, and, given the choice, the one I would make.

Any seat on the market will keep a child safe. I didn't suggest a higher priced seat because it was safer, but because it's easier. And the easier a seat is, the less likely people will make mistakes, which in a way increases safety.

If I were going to be installing the seat without the base even once (barring an emergency situation), I wouldn't even consider the Via. In this case, I do not view the lockoffs on the seat as a convenience feature--just the opposite. That's just me, though. If you're ok with the install and the price works for you, then no problem.

Jessica61624

ConnorsMommy said:
^^^^I won't be installing it baseless very often, maybe once or twice a month, so it's not a big deal to me. We use our van 95% of the time and that's where the base will be. I just like having the option. I played with the lock offs today in my living room (it snowed last night so I didn't want to try it in the car). The ones on the sides are harder to undo, but the one in the back wasn't too bad. Its not something I'd like to mess with everyday, but occasionally will be fine. If it really is too much of a pain, then I'll just take the base out of my van and install it in other vehicles.

This thread was specificly me asking questions about the features. No one is down talking the seat for others that choose to buy it. But I was asking and I'm glad I did because its not really the seat I want. I'm not rich either. I've been spending a lot of time on swagbucks to earn amazon gift cards to offset the cost. The main reason I was a aton or keyfit is because they're the only seats I've found that doesnt require noodles in my car.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, and I should add that if cost is a huge factor, then yes, the on-sale Via is actually a great choice...especially if you're going to be using it with the base. My concern is that people will want to use it without the base and will then be disappointed that it's the most inconvenient baseless install I've ever encountered.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC