I bought the Chase

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I hate it. I'm so glad it's not going in my car :eek:

The harness adjust is ridiculous. It's the same mechanism that DD's marathon uses to adjust the length of the tether strap - but it's actually on the harness, sorta kinda on the child's belly, which I find insane (one, because I can totally see a kid, especially one like B., figuring it out after a while; two, because it looks potentially uncomfortable).

Second, it's REALLY hard to adjust harness slot height - they're wedged in there like the locking clip is held (with a plastic tab piece on each side, so that they don't move) - but I had to bust out a screwdriver to get them unwedged. Thankfully I was moving them to the top slots, so they should never have to get moved again (until they get taken out so B. can use it as a booster).

I also see why it sucks as a booster. I had my shorty of a neighbor boy (7, very stocky: between 48-50 inches and 75 pounds) sit in it and tell me if it was comfortable - he definitely needs to sit in a booster in a car, but was almost out of the seat height-wise (and he's not very long torsoed). He said that it wasn't too uncomfortable in the hip area, but if he had to actually ride in a car in it he wouldn't like it (for the record, he hasn't sat in a booster... ever, to my knowledge. But it's too late for that battle :()

What I do like about it:
the price :eek: It was $48 at TRU with the $10 in-store coupon.
the semi-highish harness slots (I would say almost 17 inches - it's a little difficult to measure correctly)
REALLY plush seat. the reason why I couldn't get a good measurement - I had to try to push the seat down with one hand and measure with the other, which wasn't the easiest thing ever (easier than changing the harness height though :rolleyes:)
and one thing I *know* B. will like about it - it comes with a dumb cup holder AND a 'snack holder' for the other side. Good lord, the things he's going to stuff in that compartment. Again, glad it's not in my car.

So anyway, there's my :twocents: (I just wanted to use the smiley/graphic - I don't usually get to use that one)

ADS

tjham

Your description made me laugh!

Yeah, I have one for occasional use and it has it's quirks, all right.
But I could have sworn that the newer ones were supposed to be easier to adjust the harness height!

Mine is 4 yrs old and must be a real rarity in that I can pop those metal rectangles out in and out with my FINGERS, no problem at all!

I really like the high harness slots.

I have gotten used to the "on chest" harness adjuster. It doesn't bother me. And it works well for kids who keep sliding their chest clip down! They can't do it.
I've never heard of a kid being able to actually loosen the adjuster but I see what you mean.

And I agree, it would make an awful booster. :thumbsdown:

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, this has me rolling on the floor: I looked in the box, and there's this sheet of paper (similar to what I hear the 'enhancement' direction sheet that Regent owners are getting). That explains that "the harness height adjustment straps might be difficult to remove" and then shows detailed drawings of how to use a screwdriver to get them off :ROTFLMAO: Good lord, that thing was difficult.

Oh, and once I got them in the highest setting, I noticed how you wouldn't be able to slide the chest clip down - that SO makes it worth it! B.'s parents always have it at his belly whenever I see him in the car. I always fix it, and the next day... So that makes it better for me. This kid is seriously good at buckles and such, so hopefully he won't figure it out.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I bought a Chase several years ago because I transported various kids: harnessed seat one day, booster a week later and didn't want to spend too much (I think it was about $40 at Toys R Us during their baby sale).

The harness clips are painful - Try the locking clip. It does a great job of popping them out.

I love the front adjuster - just pull the strap and go.

I honestly didn't use the seat as a booster often or for long periods of time but I didn't see that it fit badly - the lap belt was low and snug and seemed to stay put. The shoulder harness adjust allowed the belt to move through it although I often didn't need it in my car. :twocents:

Mama2J

The only time I've ever seen one of these seats in use was when I went somewhere with a friend all in one car, and I had to move Justin's Regent into her car. I saw her child in that seat, and I seriously thought there was something wrong with the harness, like they had rigged it that way! But I felt weird to ask about it so I didn't. I noticed it said Evenflo on it, so when I got home, I went to the Evenflo web site and found out such a harness does exist and it was the Chase. I was glad it was a real seat and they hadn't made it that way on their own!

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
The only time I've ever seen one of these seats in use was when I went somewhere with a friend all in one car, and I had to move Justin's Regent into her car. I saw her child in that seat, and I seriously thought there was something wrong with the harness, like they had rigged it that way! But I felt weird to ask about it so I didn't. I noticed it said Evenflo on it, so when I got home, I went to the Evenflo web site and found out such a harness does exist and it was the Chase. I was glad it was a real seat and they hadn't made it that way on their own!

That's exactly what I thought! I was like "why did they route the tether through like this??? And then I read the manual :p

I kinda do like how easy it is to adjust, so hopefully it'll work out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC