Installing a seat that won't be used? How tight?

todzwife

I'm bringing my infant seat to my mom's this weekend to let my sister borrow (she's due in June and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to her before then). I'm installing it in the back row of my minivan. Do I need to install it like someone will be riding in it or is it ok for it to just be buckled in with the seat belt locked?

ADS

Brianna

I just buckle unused seats, I don't bother locking. If it will be next to a child, I would probably lock the belt and pull the slack out of the belt, but I wouldn't worry about it being perfectly installed.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I install how I normally would. I'm worried that in a crash, if it's not tight, it will move a lot and possibly hit me or a passenger.

mkmama

I install snug (ie tight/locked seatbelt or tight LATCH strap) but don't necessarily make it tight enough for child to ride in...I basically pull on the LATCH strap and get it as tight as I can without undue effort.

I want it pretty snug so that it doesnt move too much during a crash, but I also dont want to put a ton of effort into it.

If its installed right next to a passenger though, I will properly install it as if someone would be riding in it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
"me too" on the snugness. I lock the belt and pull the slack out, but I don't worry about a couple of inches worth of movement.

aeormsby

I also installed a seat as snug as possible.

It was definitely not safe to ride in - it was a myride wedged between my kids' MA's in the back of a Dakota. But we had a 12 hour drive to deliver it so I wanted to make sure it was tight enough not to hit the kids if we were in an accident.

Baylor

I always install correctly. I have just learned that after having a few seats in there just to transport were used when dh went out quick. So no more. For me unless it is a booster it gets installed like a child is in it.

auto-correct on the loose..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC