FFing TF difficult to buckle. Ideas?

Dorothy

I love the TF. Love, love, LOVE it. But... it is so hard to buckle DD in ffing. Why? I'm perplexed and disappointed. Did anyone else have this issue? If so, do you have any tips or tricks? If I loosen the straps, it helps a ton, but then they're hard to tighten. (I need to reinstall to be sure there's nothing causing that secondary problem.) I promised DH I was done buying carseats and strollers (for a while, at least). And I really do love the TF. I don't want to get rid of it. However, I don't see myself fighting with this buckle every time we get in the pickup for the next two years.

Sent from my phone using the app :)

ADS

rachelandtyke

How is it hard to buckle? We have 2 TFs that we've used FF and never had any issues with them. They are too hard for DD to buckle by herself, but she has strength issues. But I can do it easily (and so can my mom with arthritis) without loosening the harness.

Dorothy

rachelandtyke said:
How is it hard to buckle? We have 2 TFs that we've used FF and never had any issues with them. They are too hard for DD to buckle by herself, but she has strength issues. But I can do it easily (and so can my mom with arthritis) without loosening the harness.

Hard! None of the grandparents can do it at all. I have to use both hands and can barely do it if I don't loosen the straps first.

I can't say that my kids have never, ever eaten in the pickup, so I suppose it is possible its gunked up. BUT, it was fine rfing. It's only been ffing for about a month and a half, and I can't recall any eating or drinking more than water in the car in that time.

Mags462

Okay.... just for clarification are you saying its hard to get the "tongues" into the crotch buckle when you try to click them in? But it wasn't hard RF? If it was fine RF i don't understand why it would be hard FF.... or is it that the harness is giving you fits?

Just trying to understand the problem....

And FTR i use the TF FF full time for DS2 and its easy peasy... i actually dont let my family use the Nauti b/c the always manage to mess that one up.... the TF they seem to understand and can use properly. Go figure :rolleyes:

Dorothy

Mags462 said:
Okay.... just for clarification are you saying its hard to get the "tongues" into the crotch buckle when you try to click them in?

Yes. Exactly- The tongues are hard to click into the buckle.

Mags462 said:
But it wasn't hard RF? If it was fine RF i don't understand why it would be hard FF.

This is why I'm so perplexed.

Mags462 said:
And FTR i use the TF FF full time for DS2 and its easy peasy... i actually dont let my family use the Nauti b/c the always manage to mess that one up.... the TF they seem to understand and can use properly. Go figure :rolleyes:

I had briefly used the TF ffing previously and do not remember this being an issue. DH doesn't either, and he's not one to deal with inconvenience. We both would remember him raising the issue if it had been this troublesome.

Mags462

My thought is that the angle to push them in is different.... the crotch buckle stalk is shorter so when RF you were most likely pushing back,down, and in whereas FF you are pushing forward down and in.... does that make sense? I would try to see if you can get a new crotch buckle personally b/c it really shouldn't matter how you are using the seat - it shouldn't make you curse kwim? ;)

Cal the first years, see if they will send you a new buckle.... if not, maybe try buckling them at an angle to is less forward motion and more backward like if it were RF :confused:

Dorothy

Mags462 said:
My thought is that the angle to push them in is different.... the crotch buckle stalk is shorter so when RF you were most likely pushing back,down, and in whereas FF you are pushing forward down and in.... does that make sense? I would try to see if you can get a new crotch buckle personally b/c it really shouldn't matter how you are using the seat - it shouldn't make you curse kwim? ;)

Cal the first years, see if they will send you a new buckle.... if not, maybe try buckling them at an angle to is less forward motion and more backward like if it were RF :confused:

Yes. I haven't figured out how to get the right angle yet with DD in the seat. I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't tried without DD in the seat...

Pixels said:
The TF crotch buckle is not removable and therefore not replaceable.

I know. :-( And the seat is three years old, so there's little chance of replacement.

Mags462

I know. :-( And the seat is three years old, so there's little chance of replacement.

I would still call them and say look i bought this seat, love this seat, used it for 3yrs RF and now just flipped her around and it doesn't work.... i wouldn't expect a new seat but IMO its just not OK for it not to work FF :(

Dorothy

Mags462 said:
I would still call them and say look i bought this seat, love this seat, used it for 3yrs RF and now just flipped her around and it doesn't work.... i wouldn't expect a new seat but IMO its just not OK for it not to work FF :(

I'm def gonna call and see what they say. I don't expect replacement, but maybe they can help. I would probably cry a little if we had to give it up. ;-)

ETA- Will be seriously considering a Secure Kid (pending a c-s.org review) if this situation cannot be resolved. This speculating is premature, but I think the FR85 would be overkill. The GN is out since DD is sooo prone to head slump, which she does complain about. Is there anything else combo seat-wise coming out soon?

rachelandtyke

Wonder if there is gunk in there that didn't cause a problem rf, but does ff due to the slightly different angle? If the seat worked fine rf, I can't see that how the seat could have a defect that would make it not work ff.

Dorothy

Ok. So, its still insanely difficult even without DD in it. Called cs this morning, and they suggested rinsing the buckle out. Cool tip: Fill a cup with warm water. Turn the seat over on a surface so the buckle is hanging freely. Use the cup to dip the buckle several times. Air dry.

Gonna try that. So glad they told me the cup trick! I just couldn't visualize how exactly to hold the seat so I could rinse under a faucet or even with a sprayer.

Pixels

If you can get your hands in there, while you have the buckle in the water push the button a few times. It might knock loose anything in the mechanism. If you can't manage it with the water, then at least do it while the buckle is upside down.

tanusscott22

Just so everyone knows the TFP crotch buckle CAN be removed, but it takes a special tool that is like $3 at any hardware store or online. When my hubby left our truck window open, we had a mouse climb in and nibble the crotch buckle (there were animal crackers that our toddler had "hidden" in the seat) and The First Years sent us a new crotch buckle and the tool to swap them out with. You need a "bit end" for a screwdriver with changeable ends. The exact kind is a T25 tamper proof insert bit...it is a star shape and has a little hole in the center. Here is the part number off my package if you need to look it up. Just type "T25 3053026" into Google :)

A PITA, yes, but it can be done. Hope this helps.

P.S. this was for a TFP, and I've never tried to remove the crotch buckle on a regular TF.

Dorothy

Ok... I tried rinsing the buckle with warm water and wiping the tongs with a wet rag per cs's direction, but we are still having trouble buckling DD in. I am going to call cs again and ask about a replacement buckle and tool, but this isn't a TFP. This is a 3 yo TF. I'm frustrated, bc I really like the TF. I don't want to junk an otherwise perfectly good seat to buy a new seat. I guess I need to decide if this is a safety issue (someone not being able to get her buckled) or just an inconvenience. If its the latter, can we just deal with it?

Dorothy

Update! :)

Tomy rocks! After I answered a series of routine questions and emailed pics and a video, they sent me a replacement buckle and the tools to make the switch. Works like new again! <3 They took the old buckle back for examination.

I have been so pleased with their customer service and am delighted with the outcome. :)

jess71903

Ambassador
Update! :)

Tomy rocks! After I answered a series of routine questions and emailed pics and a video, they sent me a replacement buckle and the tools to make the switch. Works like new again! <3 They took the old buckle back for examination.

I have been so pleased with their customer service and am delighted with the outcome. :)

Wonderful!
I was perplexed. I was going to suggest that you may be overtightening the harness until you said you tried it without your DD in it. I'm glad the new buckle fixed the problem.

Dorothy

jess71903 said:
Wonderful!
I was perplexed. I was going to suggest that you may be overtightening the harness until you said you tried it without your DD in it. I'm glad the new buckle fixed the problem.

Me, too! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC