Question Three across in a '99 Passat - can this be done?

dschwarz

Hi everyone. Here's my situation:

I have a 1999 VW Passat Sedan with LATCH (added through a factory retrofit kit, so it's configured the same as the 2000 Passat from factory.)

Two kids now, one on the way, and I'd like to keep my car. Ideally, I'd like to do this:

(RR) Newborn in a Graco Snugride infant seat
(CR) 8yo girl in a backless booster seat
(LR) 6yo boy in a booster seat with back

I've tested this configuration and the backless booster seat is a very tight fit between the SnugRide and the other booster seat. Very difficult to access the belt buckles.

As an alternative, we could get rid of the backless booster seat and have my 8yo go boosterless. I'd rather not do this because she is short and we will need a seatbelt adjuster to make the shoulder strap sit right. I'm looking at [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Child-Seatbelt-Adjuster/dp/B000BUTCOY"]this one[/ame].

Even without the backless booster seat, it's a cramped ride in the center seat and my daughter is not happy. Are there other options I should look at before trading my car in for a minivan? A safe booster seat without armrests, if there is such a thing, would help a lot.

Thanks for your help!

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Have you tried installing the infant seat with the seatbelt instead of with LATCH? Sometimes, you can position the seat closer to the door with the seatbelt, freeing up additional space for the other seats. Have you tried switching the infant to the center? At least with the infant seat in the center, your daughter might not feel so cramped between the other 2 seats.

I would not use the seatbelt adjustor instead of a booster seat. There are no regulations for such items and we do not know how they will perform in a crash. Perhaps a Ridesafer travel vest would work?

dschwarz

Have you tried installing the infant seat with the seatbelt instead of with LATCH? Sometimes, you can position the seat closer to the door with the seatbelt, freeing up additional space for the other seats. Have you tried switching the infant to the center? At least with the infant seat in the center, your daughter might not feel so cramped between the other 2 seats.

I would not use the seatbelt adjustor instead of a booster seat. There are no regulations for such items and we do not know how they will perform in a crash. Perhaps a Ridesafer travel vest would work?

I'm going to try installing the infant seat with the seatbelt and see how much room that frees up. My wife has a scheduled c-section - until she heals, we want the infant seat outboard for easier access. After about 6 weeks we can move the infant seat to the center. Thanks for the tip on the Ridesafer vest.

dschwarz

I'm going to try installing the infant seat with the seatbelt and see how much room that frees up.

Update: tried the infant seat with the seatbelt. It positions itself in exactly the same place as it did when used with LATCH. Sure, I can physically slide it to the side if I don't have the belt cinched down tight. but that's not a safe install.

Looks like my DD is just going to have to deal with limited space for the time being.

Syllieann

If you can afford a new seat, you could harness the 6 yo in a radian 65 in the center (assuming 6 yo is averagish size), which would give you plenty of room for the snugride outboard on one side and the lbb for 8yo on the other side. If the driver has enough space w/ the SR behind them, that would be ideal so that the 8yo can buckle herself w/out worrying about unbuckling the radian. Then when the baby outgrows the SR, you can use radian rf in center for baby and have plenty of room for the other kiddos outboard. I'm guessing you'll need to buy a new convertible for the baby anyways, based on other kids ages since they would be expired.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC