Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Question Booster for short adult??

Ok so I am 5"2 and am wondering if it is ok for me to use, say a piece of foam or the like to boost me up in the drivers seat?

The main reason I'm asking is that we have a Radian and just got an angle adjuster which is great and means we can now install in the middle back seat. But, because the adjuster lifts the seat up I can't see over it out the back and have very limited view through the rear view mirror. I really like having my son in the middle seat giving more space between him and direct impact if there were an accident.

Also it would probably help with the position of my seatbelt which is never low enough on me anyway because I'm so short

So are there any other shorties out there that do something similar? Or do any of the techs know if this is ok for me to do?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I would put the Radian outboard it is still just as safe.

A piece of high density foam could work? Just a guess though
    Wyatt Henry, 5.25.2010

Re: Booster for short adult??

Putting the Radian outboard is not just as safe. It's about 30% less safe.

You can use an actual booster for yourself, but if you use a piece of foam or something there is a good chance it will come out from under you in a crash, leaving the belt loose. You can also use the RFing tether on the Radian to force it to recline more, which would give you back some of your view.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

If you can't see your mirrors you already not safe.
    Move the seat outboard. I would put it behind driver.

auto-correct on the loose..
    A five stepper and a booster rider

I'm having a similar problem seeing with my dd's GN in the rear middle. I prefer it there for a number of reasons but cannot see well if on a freeway. I'm 5'3" but longer torsoed. I think it's the seat much more than my height. Are you sure you have your seat as high as it goes? I've been searching and finally found these this morning http://www.3dlens.com/wideanglefresnellens.htm I remember my grandparents having one in their motor home back window. I'm hoping it helps. I have a back up camera so my only problem is when on a highway which is pretty infrequently. My normal 2 lane roads curvy I'm not looking behind me. If I was on highways daily I probably would move the seat for now.
    ETA: I searched for rear window lens and found them on amazon too.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus

Kind of a personal question, but.... Are you under 120 lbs? If that's the case, you can use a no back booster. There are a couple out there to have a max weight of 120 lbs and are pretty wide, so they will fit adult hips.
    Mommy to L - 11.5 yrs, 160 lbs, 4'9" riding in seat belt
    F - 4.5 yrs, 33 lbs, 39" riding rear facing in a Graco extend2fit and Graco milestome
    A - 3 yrs, 32 lbs, 37" riding rear facing in a Graco extend2fit and Graco milestone

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Kind of a personal question, but.... Are you under 120 lbs? If that's the case, you can use a no back booster. There are a couple out there to have a max weight of 120 lbs and are pretty wide, so they will fit adult hips.
    121lbs! Maybe I can lose a little weight then get a backless booster

I'll check out the link from MommyShannon when I get a minute.
    I really do want to keep the seat in the centre I like the extra space between him and a direct impact. I'm in Australia so I might check out the weigh limits on boosters here, although I'm not hopeful their limit will be any higher than 120lbs, we have to turn our kids at either 9 or 12kgs here (so 25lbs max)

LOL I still giggle at the though of buying a booster for me

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    You can also use the RFing tether on the Radian to force it to recline more, which would give you back some of your view.
    If I was to do this we'd also loose the ability to have the front seat back as far as it is. We have a very small car. I'm 5"2 but my partner is 6"3.
    I'll check out the booster option for me first