Cosco Eddie Bauer booster safety questions

G

geogal

I purchased a Cosco Eddie Bauer booster seat for my son after researching the seat and it had wonderful reviews. It has since been reported to be unsafe as a booster because the belt can jam in the shoulder guide. Consumer Reports gives it an unsafe rating now as a booster.

Does anybody know anything about this? I'll be calling Cosco in the morning but since I've had the seat awhile I'm unsure anything satisfactory will happen.

Thanks.

ADS
G

geogal

Thank you for the prompt reply. My son does need the shoulder guide. What about using a special clip to keep the belt lower rather than the shoulder guide? Will this be safer? Unfortunately, the shoulder belt can become looser during trips as he moves around and will not always be tight so I am hesitant to use the guides anymore knowing that they my prevent the belt from tightening.

Thanks

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
geogal said:
Thank you for the prompt reply. My son does need the shoulder guide. What about using a special clip to keep the belt lower rather than the shoulder guide? Will this be safer? Unfortunately, the shoulder belt can become looser during trips as he moves around and will not always be tight so I am hesitant to use the guides anymore knowing that they my prevent the belt from tightening.

Thanks

I would recommend strongly against using any device that is not approved by the manufacturer of the child restraint.

Do your seatbelts lock? Many newer cars have a locking retractor mode on the shoulder belt that would help prevent any slack from being pulled out in the first place.

Unfortunately, squirmy kids can put themselves in danger in almost any child restraint. Unless you observe that the child always has slack in their seatbelt despite your best efforts, then it may not be a problem. If you do find it is a problem, the best alternative is probably another booster- perhaps one Ulrike mentioned. Unfortunately, like I said, very squirmy kids can easily be out of position in any booster or seatbelt. If you think your child is not quite mature enough to remain seated properly in a booster, a model with a 5-point harness or a vest might be a better choice. These would include the Britax Husky (80 pound harness), Britax Marathon (65 pound harness), Nania Airway (50 pound Harness) and EZ-On Kid-Y vest with their Ride Ryte Booster (80 pounds).

G

geogal

Thank you again. I checked out my son's seatbelt today and, in fact, when used with the shoulder guides, does tend to leave some slack just with normal movement. He's five and not squirmy. I'll give Cosco a call today and see what they say. Now that I'm aware, this just seems dangerous. My infant daughter needs a new seat (which is what I was researching when I ran across this info) and I may switch her to the Eddie Bauer since it has good ratings as a five-point and I'll check out the ones recommended on this thread for my son. Thank you!

Mamamia, since I see mmcphee posting here, I am suspecting you are the one same mama I know. Small world, eh?

mamamia

Yes, I sent ME here in search of a Nania Airway for DD1.

If your cosco straps twist, call Cosco and they will send you free no-twist (supposedly) replacements. THere are a few WW ladies who had gotten them and say they ar ea huge improvement. For your 5 year old I would give the Graco Turbo Booster a look. It is great seat, and I know know a lot of people with them that love them. When DD3 needs DD1s Wizard I am going to get her a Turbo-she loves them!

G

geogal

Yes, the rep on the phone mentioned the strap replacements but we've been using this as a booster. I told her that if we decided to use this as a five-point for my daughter, I'd call back for the replacement.

Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC