Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    geogal

Question Cosco Eddie Bauer booster safety questions

I purchased a Cosco Eddie Bauer booster seat for my son after researching the seat and it had wonderful reviews. It has since been reported to be unsafe as a booster because the belt can jam in the shoulder guide. Consumer Reports gives it an unsafe rating now as a booster.

Does anybody know anything about this? I'll be calling Cosco in the morning but since I've had the seat awhile I'm unsure anything satisfactory will happen.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

geogal
    Thank you for the prompt reply. My son does need the shoulder guide. What about using a special clip to keep the belt lower rather than the shoulder guide? Will this be safer? Unfortunately, the shoulder belt can become looser during trips as he moves around and will not always be tight so I am hesitant to use the guides anymore knowing that they my prevent the belt from tightening.

Thanks

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    How old is your son? How much does he weigh? You may be happier with a dedicated high backed booster like the one of these:

Britax Bodyguard - has added side impact protection & costs $109.99 to $129.99

Cosco Protek - (Cosco hasn't added it to their site yet, but here's a pretty good picture.) Runs $35-$50

Eveflo Big Kid or Evenflo Big Kid LX - runs $30-$50

Graco TurboBooster - runs $50-$80, depending on the cover. Some covers are reversible.

Jupiter Komfort Kruiser - $80-$100
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Carseat Crazy
    are you the geogal I know or are there two?

Originally posted by geogal
    Thank you for the prompt reply. My son does need the shoulder guide. What about using a special clip to keep the belt lower rather than the shoulder guide? Will this be safer? Unfortunately, the shoulder belt can become looser during trips as he moves around and will not always be tight so I am hesitant to use the guides anymore knowing that they my prevent the belt from tightening.

Thanks
    I would recommend strongly against using any device that is not approved by the manufacturer of the child restraint.

Do your seatbelts lock? Many newer cars have a locking retractor mode on the shoulder belt that would help prevent any slack from being pulled out in the first place.

Unfortunately, squirmy kids can put themselves in danger in almost any child restraint. Unless you observe that the child always has slack in their seatbelt despite your best efforts, then it may not be a problem. If you do find it is a problem, the best alternative is probably another booster- perhaps one Ulrike mentioned. Unfortunately, like I said, very squirmy kids can easily be out of position in any booster or seatbelt. If you think your child is not quite mature enough to remain seated properly in a booster, a model with a 5-point harness or a vest might be a better choice. These would include the Britax Husky (80 pound harness), Britax Marathon (65 pound harness), Nania Airway (50 pound Harness) and EZ-On Kid-Y vest with their Ride Ryte Booster (80 pounds).

geogal
    Thank you again. I checked out my son's seatbelt today and, in fact, when used with the shoulder guides, does tend to leave some slack just with normal movement. He's five and not squirmy. I'll give Cosco a call today and see what they say. Now that I'm aware, this just seems dangerous. My infant daughter needs a new seat (which is what I was researching when I ran across this info) and I may switch her to the Eddie Bauer since it has good ratings as a five-point and I'll check out the ones recommended on this thread for my son. Thank you!

Mamamia, since I see mmcphee posting here, I am suspecting you are the one same mama I know. Small world, eh?

Carseat Crazy
    Yes, I sent ME here in search of a Nania Airway for DD1.

If your cosco straps twist, call Cosco and they will send you free no-twist (supposedly) replacements. THere are a few WW ladies who had gotten them and say they ar ea huge improvement. For your 5 year old I would give the Graco Turbo Booster a look. It is great seat, and I know know a lot of people with them that love them. When DD3 needs DD1s Wizard I am going to get her a Turbo-she loves them!

geogal
    Yes, the rep on the phone mentioned the strap replacements but we've been using this as a booster. I told her that if we decided to use this as a five-point for my daughter, I'd call back for the replacement.

Thanks.