I really like the Radian...

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
... more and more! At first I was resigned to using it as the solution in our Jeep Wrangler. Then, last night, when I *removed* it from the Wrangler to try it in the 3rd row in the Sienna for someone on another thread, I thought to myself as it clicked when I unlatched the seatbelt, "What *am* I doing?!? Uninstalling a seat that's a bear to install?" But it went quite well in the Sienna, at least really well in one spot in the 3rd row (I already knew it fit rock solid in the 2nd row). Then tonight, we decided to go get ice cream after supper and take the Jeep since it was a nice night. Oops. I ran out and got the Radian out of the Sienna to start working on installing it again in the Jeep so we could hopefully get there before the ice cream store closed...:eek:... Well, it took about two minutes! I kept thinking, "Ya know, I'm liking this seat more and more!" (I did have to take the rear side panel out (it's a soft top) to be able to yank really good on the seatbelt).

I'm not sure how long it will last b/c I don't like the short seat depth, but a seat with much more depth wouldn't work back there anyway. (I still have high hopes for a Husky and lbp/no recline bar. If it works, we'll keep the Radian as a spare/travel seat). But without a headrest or high seat back, the Radian gives us a good option for now. So right now at this moment in time, I'm in love with the Radian... :love:

Just thought I'd share since I've been one of the naysayers about the Radian and install issues...:eek:

Last edited:
ADS

scatterbunny

I'm so glad it's working for you, and SO well! :love: Other than the short seat depth for bigger kids, I did really like the Radian (of course I never tried installing it). I think we could have gotten by on the narrowness of it, Hayley's a tall, skinny thing who's not growing any wider, just taller. :p

I had heard the Sienna 3rd row+Radian=trouble, glad to hear you got it in!

Morganthe

Awwww, it's growing on you, how sweet :)

I figure as dd grows, I'll help with the leg support by putting towels or blankets under her feet. But since it will be the 'spare', I'm not too worried about it.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Cool! Please share the details of your Radian install in the Jeep and Sienna in the Radian installation thread over on the main board if you haven't already posted there (I bumped the thread back up to page one), and the compatibility database at carseatdata.org. :) Many Sienna owners could use some encouragement and the Jeep owners will also be grateful. :D

Dragonflymama

This is great to hear. We are loving our Radian more and more all the time. Bought initially as the perfect solution to DD truck, I've found that I also love it for air travel and it also works (with more sweat) for those really-rare times when DD needs to ride with my ILs in their 90s-model Caravan w/o tether anchors.

Good for you. This is a niche seat that truly works well in some difficult situations.

BTW- you are giving my some regrets for selling my Jeep Wrangler. When we got pg with DD, we sold both of our "recreational" vehicles (my '99 Wrangler and DH's '71 VW bus :eek:) because neither seemed safe enough to transport a small child. In summer, I certainly miss my Jeep!! (It was a hard top model and I would take the top off for the entire summer and just use the bikini. Oh the memories!)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Cool! Please share the details of your Radian install in the Jeep and Sienna in the Radian installation thread over on the main board if you haven't already posted there (I bumped the thread back up to page one), and the compatibility database at carseatdata.org. :) Many Sienna owners could use some encouragement and the Jeep owners will also be grateful. :D

Oh, I did that already... :D

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I still like my radain, especially the fact that will fix issues with it too, i like it more now that the buckles sliding, and I would love it IF i could just move thoes harenss slots out a little!!! LOL But installation wise i've found it's much easier in differant cars the more often i do it...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Maria, have you had the seat RFing in your Jeep? There is a mom on the Canadian board that needs new seats. She has a '05 or '06 Jeep. Is there enough room to RF this seat behind the passenger?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Bitsy never complained about the seat depth at all...I think it's really quite deep (width, on the other hand, neh...). I really quite like my RN... it's RF in my van and SO easy to heft my chunky (ok, 24 pound, not so big) bebe into it because it's so low... :). The harness adjuster is kind of stuck (the splitter plate under the seat), but it works for one notch, which is 'good enough'...

:)

musicmaj

I like mine too. I think it is neat how different children fit into it. My 5 and 6 year olds seem to have plently of seat depth in it. I am hoping that it will get my 5 year old to 6.5 - 7 years old. My 6 year old (7 in October) is just about even with the top slots - but has enough seat depth as well. I think about how short the seat depth looked in Scatterbunny's pictures of Hayley though. Quite a difference between how she fits and how my two fit. DS has two inches to grow in he van - about 1.5 in the corolla.

I still hate installing it though!

Glad yours is working out so well for you!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Maria, have you had the seat RFing in your Jeep? There is a mom on the Canadian board that needs new seats. She has a '05 or '06 Jeep. Is there enough room to RF this seat behind the passenger?

No, we haven't... I can try it when DH gets home today. But, whoever is sitting in front will probably have to have the seat scooted way up... :(

Morganthe

Thanks, everyone! I would like to keep Nolan harnessed as long as possible on a plane, even if it means moving up to the CARES. When he was little, he was a lap baby all the way... :eek: ... But now I know better about lap babies after seeing that crash video on here, hanging out here, and going through my CPS course.

But it does get a little more "gray" with preschoolers and smaller children. In the crash video someone posted - the *real* footage of the crash landing, they instructed everyone to brace themselves against the seat in front of them, leaning on it with their arms crossed in front of their heads. However, a small child wouldn't be able to brace themselves, therefore it could possibly put them at the same risk as a lapbelt in a vehicle: internal decapitation, etc. Other than that concern, I wouldn't have a problem with the lapbelts on the plane... Does this concern anyone else? :cool:

TBH, it doesn't concern me much. I figure a child is safer than an adult by being able to bend over and wrap their arms around their legs. As an adult, I have to worry about smashing into the seat in front of me and knocking my entire neck/head area into the thing. There really isn't much room for any adult without hitting something hard. I think we're told to brace just because the seats are in front of us. Emergency Row passengers are instructed to also wrap their arms around legs too.

In any case, I'm not thrilled about lapbelts across my abdomen or my child's. I wish they were more around the upper thigh area instead. :(

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
LOL -- I replied to you, then saw your change of post to the other thread and wondered what happened to my reply because I had forgotten the original thread title. You're confusing me :(:p

LOL! Sorry - I read my reply under this thread and thought - wait, that doesn't make sense here! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC