Christmas Light Viewing

scoutingbear

Say you had a RF toddler who was in the middle position in the middle row of a Suburban in a MR. And you were going out to look at Christmas lights. (No, can't move the seat because it would put an adult into a lap only position with no headrest.) One of the streets you are going to be driving down is very, very well known for its lights and it a top featured street every year. It is a cul de sac in both directions (turn in from the main road, turn right, follow street to the end, turn around the culdesac and follow street down to the other end, follow around the cul de sac and head back to opening of the street). Cars maybe go 5 mph...usually less because there are soooo many people viewing the lights and it gets so crowded. Would you take toddler out of the seat to see the lights and have child be a lap child in the middle row for the duration of the viewing, making sure child is back in the seat before getting to the turn out of the main road? Or would you let child sit in seat and whine at you during the 15-20 minutes it takes to drive down the street because child can't see more than just the lights hanging up between houses?

ADS

Baylor

Why not just flip seat for the lights.. Then put it back.. I would never let a child lap ride on any road.. But I would flip her make sure she is properly secured and flip her back..

rachelandtyke

No, I would not take the toddler out of the seat and let her be a lap child. If there are sidewalks, I might find a way to park the car and walk to view the lights.

crunchierthanthou

Never for lap child.

But my 16 month may have ridden ff in a CCO in the middle of a suburban at freeway speeds for about 8 hours during a particularly taxing road trip. Don't think I've ever mentioned that here. :eek:

scoutingbear

No, I would not take the toddler out of the seat and let her be a lap child. If there are sidewalks, I might find a way to park the car and walk to view the lights.

That was the hope. But there is a cold biting wind and the closest parking is about 1/2 mile away.

We went out last night and for individual houses that had timed music with lights we took her out of the seat while we were parked. Let her whine at us during the trip down the Christmas light street. Never thought of flipping her...probably because she doesn't meet the minimum weight for any of her FF seats unless I really bulk up her clothes!

scoutingbear

:) That's what we did. Despite the urging of my Dad to just hold her on the street. :rolleyes: She stayed RF and complained the entire time. I may or may not have had some candy to give her when she got too whiny. :whistle:

amyd

Maybe some toddlers like Christmas lights, but mine would be whining about being strapped in his seat in slow moving traffic, not about not seeing the lights. I think candy was an excellent idea:)

scoutingbear

She LOVED the lights at the other houses that we stopped at and could take her out. Pressed her face and hands against the window and kept pointing until I acknowledged her. :D I'm hoping the wind won't be soo bad this week and we can walk the street without too many flare ups for me with my fingers and toes.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Can you have DH drop you and DD off at the corner, then you two walk it while the others ride (or anyone else but the driver can join in walking, too), then have DH pick you up at the end?

I know it's cold (really!) but I love walking around looking at lights in the cold because it makes it feel more Christmas-y. Bundle up :)

We have a street like that here, but we're able to park close enough that we just walk it. I do love the people who drive their vans with the sliding door open and the kids standing in the doorway, though. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Cross-posted. Forgot about your fingers and toes. :(

Edit again: YOU drive, and drop DH off with DD.

amyd

scoutingbear said:
She LOVED the lights at the other houses that we stopped at and could take her out. Pressed her face and hands against the window and kept pointing until I acknowledged her. :D I'm hoping the wind won't be soo bad this week and we can walk the street without too many flare ups for me with my fingers and toes.

Oh that's cute:love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC