Car seat clause in custody agreement?

MalilyMama

Have any of you added or heard of a clause mandating proper car seat use in a custody/ divorce agreement. I am kind of freaking out because my soon to be ex has a history of not using a car seat with our DD (4y/ 40 lb). I thought I saw something like this on here before... If so, would you mind telling me what it covered and how it was worded. I am afraid I will be laughed out of the office when I bring it up to the attorney. Any advice is appreciated.

ADS

lpperry

My husband doesn't have a car seat clause in his custody agreement, but I think you can put any clause you want as long as both parties end up coming to an agreement. Or if it goes to court, if the judge approves.

I would write down exactly what you want. For example:

When DD is transported in any vehicle, it is required that she ride in a harnessed seat appropriate for her height and weight until she is _____ years old. After __________ years of age, DD will ride in a high back booster (or harnessed seat) with proper belt fit until she is at least _______ years old. After ______________ years of age, DD will ride in a low back booster (or high back booster). Once DD is ______years old, she will remain in a low back booster until she passes the 5 step test in each individual vehicle. Only after she passes the 5 step test, may she be transported in a vehicle seat with a seatbelt. DD may not ride in the front seat of any vehicle until she is ________ years old.

My wording needs some work, but something like that should be ok. Be very specific about which seat DD may ride in at each age and weight if you prefer).

tjham

Up until recently, I would have thought a court order wouldn't go into such detail. But my son's court papers for his daughter are that detailed about phone use because the mom wouldn't let my granddaughter call him, at all. It says "child may call other parent no more than 3 times a day, for no more than 30 minutes total." (He didn't ask to be called 3 times a day, that was puzzling.) So if they can be detailed for that, I would think car seat use would also be a relevant concern.

Good luck!

MalilyMama

Thank you for your responses. I am just trying to cover all my bases here. I feel like I am being naggy by even asking my lawyer to include this, but I also feel like unless it's in writing he won't care at all...

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm afraid even if it's in writing, he's free to ignore it. Nobody ever enforces custody/visitation arrangements, unfortunately. :(

tjham

Sadly, that's true. :( But he may not know that. ;)

And...IF she is ever injured BECAUSE he did not properly restain her, after it was written into the custody agreement, maybe he would face some kind of charges.

tam_shops

I have a friend w/ it in hers and if I remember correctly, it's more like/about following the min law as a requirement. May even be the same wording.

I know I'm a bit radical when it comes to car seats, so I'd go for a *slight* reminder that the car seat laws (quote yours) must be followed. So, here it'd be 22# and walking before FF. Then, harnessed to 40# and then booster until 4ft 9in. Then, you don't look like you are trying to control him as much as require he follow the *law* anyway. I know that means your 1yo could be FF, guess you could go for the AAP guidelines, if you think you'll get away w/ it 2yo FF and 8yo harnessed, but even here, the 8yo harnessed starts debates...Someone quoted a source for the 8yo harnessed here recently, even I was surprised (and probably will do it).

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC