Safety first alpha omega elite

cat mommy

How does this seat compare to the scenera and ca in terms of shell height and installation technique/ease.

I don't want to get sceneras for mil's car due to long torsos but if I can get something cheaper than a ca that would be nice. I want something that will rf for another year and then can be turned ff for harness use.

Thank you.

ADS

mominabigtruck

What kind of car does she have? Unless you find a super good deal, I would do something like an efta 65. It's an all around easier seat to use and install, epecially since you don't have to change or move anything.

An aoe is a decent rfing seat, installations can be a bit tricky so sometimes you have to remove the base. It's a mid range rfing seat, it can get most kids to twoish. You don't want to ever have to take it apart though unless you 've got some extra time because it can be interesting if you've never done it before.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brigala

CPST Instructor
For the version that's cheaper than the CA (the one you can get at Walmart or Costco for under $100) it is about the same height as the Scenera with slightly lower top harness slots. It harnesses to 40 lbs, like the Scenera. The Scenera is at least as easy, usually easier to install. There are versions of the AOE that harness to 50 or 65 lbs and have taller harness slots, but those are more expensive and there are still better seats for the money.

I would also avoid the 40 lb version like the plague for a MIL seat because the harness can actually be adjusted higher but it cannot be used in its highest position. The warning on the seat that says the harness needs to be removed in that position and the seat used as a belt positioning booster is in black letters in black plastic on the back of the seat UNDER the adjustment bar when it's in that position... so it's really hard to find and hard to read and almost nobody ever notices it. The rate of mis-use with that seat is phenomenal.

If you're looking for something similar to a Scenera, but more "cushy," maybe an Evenflo Tribute 5 would be a good choice.

cat mommy

Thanks. My biggest concern is shell height. My kids have long torsoes but are not heavy. I would like to rf them til 3 in all cars that they ride in--I don't think the sceneras willbget them there. I can get a CA if needed, but it would be nice to spend less on the seat.

henrietta

You didn't mention your budget....but you can sometimes find the Evenflo Triumph Advance and/or the Graco My Ride for close to $100. Either of those will get most kids to 3 yrs rearfacing. The EFTA goes to 35 lbs rearfacing and has nice tall harness slots, and the G My Ride has a 40 lbs rearfacing wt limit and similarly tall harness slots. These are both great seats and easy to install. Check out www.albeebaby.com for deals. That's one of my favorites.

I don't think the Tribute or the Scenera will get MOST kids to 3 rearfacing, except if they are petite. If they are long torsoed, they may not make it to age 2 in these seats rearfacing. BUT I do really like the Tribute--we've had one for several years now. My niece is using it now.

henrietta

djma

If it's the newest version that rear-faces to 40lb, I would get it. I actually really like the seat and have often tried to come up with an excuse to get it. :p

My only concern would be the base issue. Would you be the one installing? One it be installed once and left or would she need to take it in and out?

ETA: For future reference in regards to harness height, my 5.5 year old who rides daily in nautilus and is on the top slots, still has room in the new AOE forward facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC