Convincing my neighbor

Mysweethoneybee

First I have to say that my neighbor is always worried about what people think. She is the most anxious parent I have ever met.

When her son was 5 I convinced her to research booster seats before she just ran out and bought a no back booster. She got a an evenflo big kid or whatever was $29 at Walmart. It was a good fit for her son at the time. Now her son is 8 years old. I am not sure if the booster seat is on its highest setting, but the tops of his ears are over the headrest of the booster seat now.
We aren't really close neighbors but are friendly. I know they don't have finances to buy a new a seat of any kind. I have several no back booster seats or a monterey I would be willing to loan to her. But I have a few problems.

They drive a crown victoria that was a police car. The reason I know her son is above the headrest is that in school drop off I can see his ears above the booster seat which rises above the headrest of the car. So I am afraid a no back booster wouldn't work for that vehicle. But maybe it would be good if they had a low back one for the Ford Expedition they have. They have one of the same booster for each car.

She is really set on high back boosters being safer in side impact crashes and I am not sure how to convince her that he would be safer in a no back booster that fits him.

She is very much the kind of person that doesn't take charity at all. She can't afford a taller booster right now. But I don't know how I would convince her that she should take my monterey for her son's safety. I.E. I gave her an open box of Chai tea because I didn't care for it and didn't want it to go to waste and she wouldn't speak to me for months because she was embarrassed that she owed me. Even though I expected nothing back.

The biggest thing is I would need to see the fit of the different boosters I have and I don't know how to convince her about that either. I have a cosco high rise, a harmony literider, and a graco turbo booster I could give to her.

I just don't know how to handle this or if I should even try. If he has to have a high back because of the vehicle or the mother's belief is there a tall cheap booster out there? I can't really afford to buy something else either especially knowing she might refuse it.

ADS

christineka

I would first ask if the headrest is up all the way. The evenflo's top belt position is 18 inches, which is not unheard of for a 5 year old to outgrow, but the majority of 5 yos are not that tall. The cosco pronto goes taller, though it requires support behind it. Other than that, I think the vivo may be the next tallest, lowest cost hbb available.

nevaehsmommy

the kiddo is 8 now though right?

I would have no issue putting him in a NBB. I am no tech but seems he would be safer in a properly fitted nbb vs an improperly fitting HBB

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If she takes the back off the Big Kid, she has a no back already.

Speaking from experience with a Crown Vic, A kid that is tall enough in a no back booster to not have adequate whiplash protection, is tall enough to 5 step in at least the center position.

Mysweethoneybee

Thanks I will have to find a way to convince her he is safe. He might 5 step. He is tallest of the 8 year olds in the neighborhood. If I can get her to agree I might check him out.

tam_shops

If that doesn't work, what about offering her a *trade* hers for yours? Then, it's not charity, you're both benefiting. You don't ever have to use it and she doesn't have to know that...You could also offer to sell it to her for a few dollars or some baby sitting, though that gets touchy....

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC