2001 Acura MDX - opinions? And Seatbelt Question

We are looking at a 2001 Acura MDX. It's in the budget range, looks nice, isn't a mini-van (I've had 3+, it's my turn for something more fun!) Who out there has one? What do you like/dislike about it? How about real-life gas mileage?

Also, I could nearly swear that I've read somewhere (either here, or in a car seat manual) that you can't install a car seat (or a booster? or a person?) in a seat position where the seat belt comes out in front of the seat itself. (Does that make sense?) In the MDX, it looks like the rear seat belts are dropping from the ceiling in front of the seats themselves. Am I off my rocker?

I am SO excited about the possibility of getting this car! Please ... if you are going to rain on my parade ... be kind about it ;)

ADS
And, after more research ... I'm SUPER bummed to find it doesn't have latch. Not that it's a huge deal to me, I've *never* had a car with latch ... but I was kind of excited to get one :thumbsdown:

abigaylebelle

I have limited experience with the MDX but you can install a carseat in the middle seat with a drop down belt. The belt fit is terrible for people not in a carseat/booster since it sits right on your neck (or at least it does on mine and every other person I've seen sitting in that spot in my sister's car). I think it's the same set up as the earlier model honda pilot.

luckyclov

You may be able to get some top tether anchors retofitted. As far as lower anchors, you don't really need those, a seatbelt works just as well for installations. And I think Acura has a 40 lb LATCH weight limit, anyways.

As far as the shoulder belt that comes from the back of the vehicle seat, you can use it to install child seats, assuming the child seat is compatible and the seatbelt is locked pre-crash somehow (retractor or locking clip). As far as boosters go, with those sort of shoulder belts, you just have to make sure the shoulder belt never falls below the shoulder. In other words, it can not route up into the booster guide and back down. It has to be at or above. It works the same for "just" a person in that position, too. Only there also needs to be adequate vehicle head support (either the vehicle seat or headrest to *at least* the tops of the ears). No back boosters also require adequate vehicle head support. And Dorel highback boosters do as well.

Thanks! Yeah, I am able to get rock-solid installs with just the belt, and since I've never used latch, it kind of makes me nervous, although I know every else seems to love it!

It may have been in a car seat manual that I read about not using a belt to install a seat if it comes out ahead of the seat? I'm not sure. Guess I'll dig out all the manuals and read through them to make sure. I'd be using two from: Radian, FPSV, a Maestro and/or a True Fit (or whatever I replace my MyRide with when Graco actually gets around to sending me my refund) The 2001 *should* have 3 tether anchors, which is plenty for me right now ... In the Acura, I'll have 2 kiddos harnessed (one rf, one ff), 2 kiddos in boosters and 1 kiddo *probably* just in a belt, depending on how he fits in the car.

For the booster seats ... The belt looks to come out of the ceiling, or very near it, so as long as it's routed through the guide on the seat and then goes up, not down, it's ok? What if routing it through the guide on the seat causes it to go backwards and then back forwards to a position that is forward of where the guide/booster back is? (Did that make any sense?)

And, I'm pretty certain this had headrests in all positions ... something else I've never had! :D

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
While it doesn't have lower LATCH anchors, a 2001 MDX does have factory equipped top tethers. :thumbsup: Second row top tether anchors are on the back of the vehicle seat for each second row seating position, and each third row outboard seating position (no third row center seating position at all in the MDX) has a top tether anchor located on the rear tailgate sill. No top tether anchor retrofitting needed (nor possible) in the MDX. :D

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Many carseats have warnings in their manuals against using seatbelts that are "forward of the bight," or originate in front of the seat crack. One company used to have a measuring line in their manual (I think it was Britax) that showed the safe zone for forward of the bight seatbelts. Carseats that use a long belt path, like the Britax Frontier, tend to fit better with these seatbelts rather than using the standard belt path.

I have a newer MDX, but this forum is great for all things MDX: http://www.mdxers.org/.

So would where a seat belt comes out above the seat be part of that "forward of the bight" consideration? Or is that only talking about where the bottom of the belt and the receptacle are? I think I'm going to take my Maestro to put my 4yo in on the way home, only he and the 10yo are going with us to get it, so I'll only need one seat for the ride home.

BUT ... I just realized I'll be near ... stores with CAR SEATS!!!! ... Yes, stores other than wallys :p I might just have to convince dh to let me look around a little. Maybe a little more than just look. :D

Thank you for that info, it does sound like what I was remembering (vaguely, at best) and the link to the mdx site!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, don't worry about the shoulder part of the belt, just the buckle.

ETA: I Googled pictures of the '01 and it looks like the buckles are maybe 1" forward of the bight. Not a problem!

murphydog77 said:
Yeah, don't worry about the shoulder part of the belt, just the buckle.

ETA: I Googled pictures of the '01 and it looks like the buckles are maybe 1" forward of the bight. Not a problem!

Thanks!!! We got it yesterday....I LOVE IT!!!!

sfaqt18

I was going to jump and tell you we have an 01 MDX but I see you've already gotten it! Congrats! I'm probably trading mine in for a minivan soon!

I'm no carseat expert but I was going to tell you I've done installation in the center where the seatbelt comes down from the ceiling with no issues. I have a britax boulevard and COmbi CCO and have great fits...no latch but no biggie! I did try an install with a radian and it was a booger. I didn't like fit, personally.
On another note, ours has 111,000 miles on it and has been a great car. We just put new tires on it, a new timing belt and water pump, egr valve and a new windshield. But these were all normal matainance and nothing has broken down since weve had it. Gas consumption is ok...about 14 city, 18-19 hwy. I'm looking forward to more space of a minivan and ease of getting kiddos in and out and that's why we're looking at vans. Hope you love it!!!

I'm heading outside in a few minutes to steno to install my radian rf in the center position...so I'll be prepared for the fight lol

That sounds like its in great shape! We are going to do a bunch of that maintenance stuff to it and get tires this well. Theres no indication the timing belt has been done and I don't want to blow a rod through the engine!!!!

You weren't kidding!!! I didn't have a lot of time the other night, so I gave up on the center rf and put the seat rf behind the driver's seat. DH doesn't really want her rf in the center b/c he's concerned the heat/ac will be blocked by her seat ... I'm thinking it wouldn't be a huge deal, but still trying to prefer him. She will be 2 in January and is about 28lbs so I may consider turning her ff soon. She has ridden ff twice, but she looks SO tiny doing it! If she was FF, it would make other seat placement easier, BUT I don't want to turn her for just that reason. She's also a foster kiddo and could possibly be going home near the end of January, so I can live with just about anything for a couple months (in reference to having her behind the drivers seat.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC