Question At or ABOVE when ffing

Baylor

Looking for a good explanation as to why. A quick one I can share to make the point and make sure I cover the bases.

auto-correct on the loose..

ADS

Mae

Re: At or below shoulder when ffing

You mean "at or above" ? ;)

If the straps are below the child's shoulders when FFing, the force of the impact could compress the child's spine, causing spinal injuries.

Aurezalia

Re: At or below shoulder when ffing

Looking for a good explanation as to why. A quick one I can share to make the point and make sure I cover the bases.

No, for FF'ing straps need to be at or ABOVE shoulders. It's to prevent spinal compression.

Baylor

Mae said:
You mean "at or above" ? ;)

If the straps are below the child's shoulders when FFing, the force of the impact could compress the child's spine, causing spinal injuries.

Thanks! Yes I meant at or above. Perfect thank you.

ETA I went to edit the title online and the site is not working.

Baylor

Baylor said:
Thanks! Yes I meant at or above. Perfect thank you.

ETA I went to edit the title online and the site is not working.

Fixed it. Thanks!

And another for rfing at or below.
I have the videos and the booklet from USAA to share with people.
I find people tend to respond better to what could happen rather than just the rules.

Last edited:

Qarin

When rearfacing in a sudden stop, the body will tend to want to go UP the back of the seat, and so the straps need to be positioned to hold the body DOWN, and thus need to be at or below the shoulders so there isn't room for the body to ramp up into the straps.

When forward facing in a sudden stop, the body will want to go FORWARD away from the seat, so the straps need to be positioned to hold the body BACK against the seat, and thus need to be at or above the shoulders so there isn't space for the shoulders to move away from the seatback.

Last edited:

Baylor

When rearfacing in a sudden stop, the body will tend to want to go UP the back of the seat, and so the straps need to be positioned to hold the body DOWN, and thus need to be at or below the shoulders so there isn't room for the body to ramp up into the straps.

When forward facing in a sudden stop, the body will want to go FORWARD away from the seat, so the straps need to be positioned to old the body BACK against the seat, and thus need to be at or above the shoulders so there isn't space for the shoulders to move away from the seatback.

Thank you! I am going to copy and paste that answer with your permission.

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Just show the issue with your finger. Put your finger above the slot with the harness routed over it, then pull out on the harness and let the parent see how it pushes your finger down.

Qarin

You are welcome to use my words about this, but please correct my typo of "old" for "hold", which I've corrected in my post. ;)

Baylor

safeinthecar said:
Just show the issue with your finger. Put your finger above the slot with the harness routed over it, then pull out on the harness and let the parent see how it pushes your finger down.

Awesome thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC