Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Nan

Question Tallest high-back booster?

My 9.5 yo son (65 lbs, 53") currently rides in a Britax Monarch. I think he's nearing the end of its life because he's almost out of shoulder-height room. I would like to keep him in a high-back booster for a while longer if possible (backless boosters still leave the seat belt across his neck). What is the highest-back booster with side-impact protection?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Tallest high-back booster?

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    My 9.5 yo son (65 lbs, 53") currently rides in a Britax Monarch. I think he's nearing the end of its life because he's almost out of shoulder-height room. I would like to keep him in a high-back booster for a while longer if possible (backless boosters still leave the seat belt across his neck). What is the highest-back booster with side-impact protection?
    I can understand your concern. The Britax Frontier is a lot of $$$ for just booster use, but it is the tallest highback booster. Believe it or not, the $30 Cosco highback booster is also fairly tall, but at his size, I don't know he'd be comfortable in it.

What kind of car is he riding in? Even my 6 yr old fits the shoulder belt in most vehicles w/a backless booster, although we only have one as a spare for emergencies. We have the $13 Harmony literider from Walmart. Shoulder belt fit is fine.

Send us a picture if you can and we'll help you out as best we can.

henrietta
    henrietta
    former CPST & Mom extraordinaire of 2 rowdy little boys & 1 spunky girl toddler, among hundreds of other skills!
    #1, age 9.5, Harmony Literider or Transit backless booster, occasional Safety First Incognito
    #2, age 6.5, Cybex Xfit booster/Harmony folding travel booster/Evenflo hbb
    #3 age 15 months, Britax Advocate CT/Combi Cocorro

Re: Tallest high-back booster?

My DS1 is 9 and has similar stats (53" and 68 lbs) to your DS. Mine has outgrown every highback booster (HBB) on the (current) market, except for the Britax Frontier 85/SICT in booster mode (the tallest HBB) and the Britax Parkway SG/L (which is what he rides in) and the Cosco Pronto, which are the two next-in-line for tallest HBBs.

The Pronto requires adequate/additional vehicle head support and has a tendency not to provide the best fit on (some) kids. My DS1 is one of them.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500