Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

What is the difference between the Diono Radian R120 & the RXT?

What is the difference between those two seats? Besides the adjustable head support on the RXT?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: What is the difference between the Diono Radian R120 & the RXT?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinandcat View Post
    What is the difference between those two seats? Besides the adjustable head support on the RXT?
    It's just the headwings, that's it.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Are there any pros or cons to the headwings?

I believe that the headwings provide additional side impact protection. They definitely give LO a nice place to rest her head when she falls asleep. They don't adjust any lower than the third slots, so they are useless for a newborn, and they don't adjust any higher than the top slots so they can limit use of the seat as the child gets tall as well.

I have one of each style (Radian 65 and Radian XT) and I like them both for different reasons.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Hmmm, lots to think about now. I had planned on getting the R120, but the headwings sound nice. But then I don't want to have to buy another seat if my son gets too tall.

I debated between the R120 and RXT. A lot. I ultimately went with the R120 (due to be delivered tomorrow!) for a few reasons:

1. The review that mentioned the RXT's headwings (interfering with seat belt retraction, resting on older child's shoulders) basically made the option of booster mode unusable to me.

2. The R100 and R120 both don't have headwings so shoulders shouldn't be a problem like in RXT and the allowability of shoulders being above the top shoulder harness slots as long as tops of the ears aren't over the shell means it might be usable a little longer as a harness heightwise than the RXT would be (as no headwings to interfere).

3. I have a Radian 65 and have been happy with it. It has no headwings, and my child sleeps in it OK. (They are fine in Recaros with headwings, too, but the R65 without them is also comfortable to them.)

I really went back and forth a lot because I like the idea of the protection from the headwings, but the above real-life usability was what swayed me to the R120.

I went with the R120 over the R100 simply because of the extra reinforcement that allows the higher weight limit, and the $20 extra for that was worth it as I plan to use this seat a long time.