Dilemma

lilliput

So, I re-RFed my 2.5 year old about a week ago. That is going great! He's happy - loves it - I'm happy, it's all good....:D

But here is the problem that I did not foresee..... I no longer have a spare car seat because we decided to use the older RN 65 for DS3 and re-RF DS2 in the XTSL.....
I have a sitter a few mornings a week for my two eldest sons. I am gone for part of the day tomorrow and will have the van - with all the carseats - unless I pull the XTSL and re-set it up for FFing DS2 in her Beetle. I do not believe she'll be able to get the RN in her beetle RFing. Am I mistaken on this??

She'll be fine being stuck home tomorrow, since this is the first time, but I don't see this as a viable long-term plan. I either get stuck home because she takes the van and two of my kids, or she gets stuck home when I go out, or I deal with reconfiguring the RN every time - and I don't think I want to go there. I think DH's best efforts to avoid buying yet another seat may have officially failed! ;)

So, do I:
1) get DS3 a new 80SL (or something else) and make the 65 the spare seat again, but configured for FFing DS2 in the Beetle or DH's Jetta;
2) buy a Maestro or some other FF combo seat for DS2's use in the sitter's Beetle and/or DH's Jetta;
3) buy a seat that will keep DS2 RFing in other vehicles - if this, then what, since we're talking about small cars, and it will need to be fairly easy to install.

Thanks! I wish I'd thought of this earlier....

ADS

momtoo3

I would look at the Evenflo Triumph65, Momentum or Symphony. Some models of the Momentum and Symphony have SureLATCH which makes installation a breeze in many vehicles. The Triumph65 has always been a super easy install in every vehicle I have installed it in. All 3 seats also have the Infinite Slide harness which is great for multiple kids. Ds3 is about 28 pounds and 37 inches and has growing room in all 3 both RF and FF. I just gave my Triumph to my sister for her daycare kid because it didn't work 3 across in my van but it does in her car. The only downside is all 3 are pretty wide but if you only need 2 seats in the sitter's car it shouldn't be a problem. Oh and all 3 install pretty upright and don't need a lot of front to back space.

lilliput

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I took so long, but I've spent the last few days pouring over search results about EFT65s and Momentums.... I had a couple more questions about them.

One thread comparing the MR, CA, and the EFTA showed that the harness straps sat fairly close to the child's neck to the point of possibly being uncomfy. Did you ever have a problem with this?

Also, the seat sits up high on a base, right? Ever have any issues with visibility?

And when it comes to the knob adjusters, people seem to have a really mixed feeling on this. Am I understanding that they can be tricky in outboard installations? If a grandparent were to use this seat, would they be difficult for those with mild arthritis or any other hand strength issues?

I do think something with an infinite harness is our best bet. That way if anyone finds themselves transporting DS3 RFing instead of DS2, it is not a big deal to set the seat up correctly. Does it need to be uninstalled to adjust the harness?

And are the other options with infinite harnesses the CA and what else?

Thanks again for your help! I see the light at the end of a long and confusing tunnel....

mominabigtruck

I have several eftas and a momentum, plus a 2.5yo. I can do pics if you would like. He rides rfing in the momentum and ffing in the efta because he's right around 35lbs. I don't have any visibility issues but my back window is almost completely blocked by the fr85 and a stroller so I'm used to only using my side mirrors. All of my kids are on the bigger side and I've never had any issues with the straps being too close or the red tabs rubbing, they way the sides flare out it fits bigger kids alot better than other seats. I don't like the way the efta's knobs are rfing in my 98 caravan but they are fine in my mom's 08 caravan. I have an efta out on loan to a friend with a scion xb and it fits great in her car, because of the way it slides on the base it fits pretty well in smaller vehicles.
Posted via Mobile Device

mkmama

Another thought might be to get a Diono angle adjuster...you just might get that Radian RF'ing in the jetta and beetle, as that adjuster does a pretty good job of getting the seat very upright (around 30 degrees in my vehicles). And for $10, it would definitely be cheaper than buying a new seat.

lilliput

Another thought might be to get a Diono angle adjuster...you just might get that Radian RF'ing in the jetta and beetle, as that adjuster does a pretty good job of getting the seat very upright (around 30 degrees in my vehicles). And for $10, it would definitely be cheaper than buying a new seat.

I've got one on the way, or arriving in January, from Amazon to use in the Sienna.

My one concern with this option is needing to rethread the harness to accommodate DS3 should the need arise. But I will keep that as an option. I keep coming back to it in my head because I know the RN and have not had my hands on any of these other seats. It's just the issue of possibly needing it for two different children that holds me back on embracing that idea.

momtoo3

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I took so long, but I've spent the last few days pouring over search results about EFT65s and Momentums.... I had a couple more questions about them.

One thread comparing the MR, CA, and the EFTA showed that the harness straps sat fairly close to the child's neck to the point of possibly being uncomfy. Did you ever have a problem with this?

Also, the seat sits up high on a base, right? Ever have any issues with visibility?

And when it comes to the knob adjusters, people seem to have a really mixed feeling on this. Am I understanding that they can be tricky in outboard installations? If a grandparent were to use this seat, would they be difficult for those with mild arthritis or any other hand strength issues?

I do think something with an infinite harness is our best bet. That way if anyone finds themselves transporting DS3 RFing instead of DS2, it is not a big deal to set the seat up correctly. Does it need to be uninstalled to adjust the harness?

Thanks again for your help! I see the light at the end of a long and confusing tunnel....

I never had an issue with the harness straps rubbing on ds3 with the EFTA.

I also never had any visibility issues RF or FF.

The knobs were a little hard to turn up against the seat when RF but nothing majorly hard.

The harness just slides up and down, there is no need to uninstall the seat.

henrietta

We've had 3 Evenflo seats--2 were Triumphs (the old one and an EFTA that we still use). My kids LOVE the EFTA and it's predecessor. My oldest has autism and sensory issues...he loved the EFTA--still does, but he's too tall now. (-: FTR, both of my kids HATE HATE HATE HATE the Complete Air. I've made them sit in everything in the stores thru the years, but neither will sit in the CA for even a minute. I've never even gotten to buckle the harness on them in it that I can remember, b/c they're outta there. I wanted to love it...but they HATE it. The neck straps are wider set on the EFTA, but there are not harness covers. We just pull their shirts up next to the straps and they're fine!

I've had less problems w/visibility w/the EFTA than the Britax Decathlon and Blvd or FPSVD (like the Decathlon). I don't think it's a problem for the size seat it is. Obviously, the older Cosco AOE and Evenflo Tribute sit lower, but the EFTA lasts so much longer and isn't as view-obstructing as some seats. I have way more issues of obscured vision when the kids are forward facing....ugh.

The knob adjusters can be tricky if the car's seat is super cushy and curved around--that tends to make it difficult to use the knobs. BUT they are EASY to use--yes, they have a learning curve...BUT I have a connective tissue disease w/associated arthritis in my fingers/hands, Reynauds phenomenon, and carpal tunnel, and I find them much easier than a pull strap....

There's no need to uninstall the CA or the EFTA to adjust the infinite harness (it's "infinite" on each of those)--it's quite easy w/either seat. ;)

hths

henrietta

lilliput

Thank you all so much!

Henrietta - your info about the strap vs. knobs for those with hand issues is especially helpful! Now I know I will have a seat that grandparents as well as the sitter can use well RFing! I tried the CA when it first came out, and was underwhelmed. I just wanted to know if there were other seats than the CA and EFT to consider with an infinite harness. I think the TF was the other one? But DS2 would likely outgrow it RFing quite soon, and DS3 is still 80th percentile for weight, so I'm inclined to go with the EFT65.

Thanks very much everyone! So excited to have a backup seat - this will make life so much easier!

henrietta

Thank you all so much!

Henrietta - your info about the strap vs. knobs for those with hand issues is especially helpful! Now I know I will have a seat that grandparents as well as the sitter can use well RFing! I tried the CA when it first came out, and was underwhelmed. I just wanted to know if there were other seats than the CA and EFT to consider with an infinite harness. I think the TF was the other one? But DS2 would likely outgrow it RFing quite soon, and DS3 is still 80th percentile for weight, so I'm inclined to go with the EFT65.

Thanks very much everyone! So excited to have a backup seat - this will make life so much easier!

Just an fyi--even though the TF's rearfacing weight limit is 35 lbs, it actually is a taller seat than the EFTA/EF65. The Radians, CA, and TF are the tallest--the True Fit would really be fabulous if it went to 40 lbs rearfacing! But it doesn't have an infinite harness.

GL!

henrietta

lilliput

Ah, thanks, Henrietta. Well, its lack of an infinite harness rules it out as a back-up seat for us. I bet we could have made it to 3 RFing in the TF as a primary seat, but I went with the XTSL way back when, and alas, here we are....:) Thanks again for your help!

Dillipop

By infinite harness, do you mean no rethread to move the harness height? If so, the true fit does have a no rethread harness.

lilliput

Just wanted to update -

Dilli - yes, that is what I meant. There is a small part of me that still would love a TF or a TFP... I did have concerns with the 35 lb RFing limit with an above 80th percentile DS3. Time will tell though, since he's also really tall (97th percentile).

Well, we used the EFTA for DS3 in the Jetta on Xmas Eve, and it fit great. We will try it in the Beetle this week, I hope. I still haven't tried it for DS2 RFing though. The knobs take getting used to. I think it will be great for the grandparents this summer though - and that is when the carseat shuffle really becomes an issue, since they will be ready to put DS2 in a booster first chance they get because that is what the cousins did.

Thanks so much everyone!

jess71903

Ambassador
I'm glad something worked out!

For others reading- the Evenflo seats are the only ones with an "infinite" harness. They slide on a track and are always AT the shoulders.

The True Fit and Complete Air both have no-rethread harnesses that can be adjusted without uninstalling the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC