Question Would they be offended? (Car seat related :))

SignCuer

Hi, I was wondering...

The parents I work for has an adorable 3 month old. They have a Graco Snugride 22 which is 2 1/2 years expired. I did inform them about it and they are aware of it but they keep on using it. He's in a RN in my van.

Christmas is coming up and I plan to get the kids presents. I was thinking of getting a Keyfit35 for him for Christmas so they can have non expired infant seat and throughout the winter, he will be warm. Plus I can get a base so I can use the seat.

Do you think they will be offended if I do that?

On my faithful sidekick :) Don't text and drive... It may save a life!

ADS

Pixels

Graco seats expire in December, so it's either almost 2 years expired or a few days short of 3 years expired. Either way, it's expired.

What was their reaction when you informed them of expiration? Unless they seemed truly worried about it but unable for financial reasons to replace it, they probably don't actually care.

SignCuer

They were like thanks... that was it... no other emotions.

December? Meaning it's 3 years expired :eek:

Calleiah

Do you mean a keyfit30? Or have I missed a new 35 lb version? If they didn't show a reaction to the news it was expired, it's likely they either dont understand why that is bad, or simply don't care. I can't tell you if they would be offended, it depends greatly on them and their personalities.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
December? Meaning it's 3 years expired :eek:
December of the 6th year. If you think it's 2.5 based on dates, then it's likely 2 years expired. If the DOM is June/July 2003 (or anytime in 2003), then it would have expired end of December 2009. You get between 6 and 7 years use out of Graco infant seat, depending on DOM.

Although, it seems Graco has changed this, at least in Canada. My new 2012 SR35 doesn't appear to have the "Do not use after December 20xx" on the seat anymore. Instead it says, "do not use 7 years after DOM".

momtoo3

Would they go for a convertible? Are they the kind of people (not meant in a negative way) who will switch from the carrier when the baby sits up on it's own? I know many who will wait until their baby sits on their own and then buy a combo seat because they either don't know better or don't care. If you think they will switch seat well before a year,I would buy a convertible now. That way you don't have to worry about offending them and they may decide to use it right away. I would not buy another carrier if they most likely won't use the one they have much longer or you are worried about offending them.

SignCuer

I meant a Keyfit30 oops... thanks for correcting me :) yeah they are kinda that kind of people... but they are planning to keep the littlest one in the infant seat longer since it's gonna be winter soon and they are not babywearing type of people AT ALL so... the only thing I'm trying to get them on board is RFing to 2 and 30 lbs (or at least that) first.

SignCuer

It was kinda weird the other day since I had to pick up Mom at her work for first time and we were in my van... kids were:

8 yr old- HBB (he's in nothing)
6 yr old-FFing (LBB)
4 yr old- RFing (HBB)
2 yr old- RFing (FF in slighty outgrown CS)
3 month old- RFing (expired seat)

And she was like.. why are they in those kind of seats? I was like because I do best practice not the minimum of the law and I want them to be safe. I would be heartcrushed if something happened to these kids ever. She was like oh.... and didn't say another word abt it.

mominabigtruck

You're giving a kf30 to your babysitting kids?? You can come watch my kids anytime!

Personally, since the baby is already 3 mo I wouldn't necessarily go with a kf unless you got a super good deal. I think a graco sr 30/35 would be more cost effective and get more use out of it, especially if you get a cutesy cover. And I'm sure they already have a graco stroller, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

SignCuer

mominabigtruck said:
You're giving a kf30 to your babysitting kids?? You can come watch my kids anytime!

Personally, since the baby is already 3 mo I wouldn't necessarily go with a kf unless you got a super good deal. I think a graco sr 30/35 would be more cost effective and get more use out of it, especially if you get a cutesy cover. And I'm sure they already have a graco stroller, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL... if you are in the MD/DC/VA area, I'm willing! :D

True... good point... they do have a Graco Stroller. I may get the Graco35... and get a neutral cutesy cover since they aren't done having kids :)

SignCuer

hrice said:
If you want them to RF to 2 I would get them a taller infant seat like the Onboard 35.

Mmm... how would that work in a 2006 Toyota Highlander? Its long length-wise?

creideamh

Whichever seat you choose, I'd still get them one. It doesn't sound like they'd be offended... just word it like "well this way we can all use the same seat and just swing it in and out of the bases, super easy!"

I bought my cousins new seats and installed them. Their parents didn't care.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
If you know they aren't done having kids then I totally would...because you know what the next little one will be riding in if you don't. :(

Though like the others suggested I'd probably go with a Graco since they already have a stroller it fits in.

Phineasmama

I agree, get them a big 'ol seat that will last a while :) I doubt they would be offended especially since it's a "christmas present"!

canadiangie

I'd get a Graco, too. Because of their current stroller and the fact you said they aren't the types to wear baby. I assume they like a travel system.

lovemybabies924

Love my snugride 35! But get them a new one with the new insert, my almost 1year old is still bottom slots and 19.5lbs

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC