***Death Mentioned - Accident in Ontario

ADS

LittlePeanut

With the severity of the crash, is it possible for a child to be ejected with his seat? There has been no mention in the articles on ctv.

The Child seat (Safety 1st 3-in-1 FF) is still in the white sedan. It seems more likely, given the cooler temps, that the child would have been wearing some heavier clothing and may not have been adequately strapped into his safety seat. Such a sad situation.

The part that hit me most was the comment, "The child's mother, who was also in the vehicle, suffered only minor injuries." I think they should have said, "suffered only minor PHYSICAL injuries" because her long term mental suffering over losing her husband and the injuries to her child will be with her forever.

I HATE drunk drivers. It needs to be more severely punishable (10-20 years should be a minimum).

tam_shops

So sad...

There aren't any visible straps in the car seat. 1:08 of the clip. Could they have ripped right out from being so close to the point of impact? Surely he would have been much worse than just in the hospital if he wasn't in a seat at all. Sounds like the mom walked away, so perhaps on the other side of the car and/or back seat...

tam

lawgirl5

Or...the child wasn't strapped into the seat at all. My sister lives in Louisiana and knows MANY people who own carseats that don't even have straps. They let their kids just ride in that. Its pure stupidity and sadly, many kids aren't or the straps aren't fully tightened.

KristineML

I think the seat is this Eddie Bauer Sport from Sears.

http://www.sears.ca/product/eddie-bauer-sport-convertible-car-seat/632-000479196-22418CGCE

This article shows the police re-positioning the cars at the point of impact.
http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/1262031--driver-in-fatal-crash-faces-court.

My first thought when hearing the child was ejected was that he wasn't in a seat at all. I'm thinking now that outerwear might have played a role. Given that the seat is a Dorel product, are their any recalls on the seat?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think the seat is this Eddie Bauer Sport from Sears.

http://www.sears.ca/product/eddie-bauer-sport-convertible-car-seat/632-000479196-22418CGCE

This article shows the police re-positioning the cars at the point of impact.
http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/1262031--driver-in-fatal-crash-faces-court.

My first thought when hearing the child was ejected was that he wasn't in a seat at all. I'm thinking now that outerwear might have played a role. Given that the seat is a Dorel product, are their any recalls on the seat?

That particular seat doesn't have any recalls so far as I know. It is based on the Scenera. I also can't definitively see the straps, but there is a shadow there so it's hard to say. It is most definitely the seat linked to though.

How very sad for everyone involved. Young people so often think it won't happen to them - for all the education out there, people still get behind the wheel drunk. And that just sickens me and maddens me. I know my youngest brother drives drunk. I've never seen him do it, but I can tell you I'd call the police on him in the blink of an eye if I ever saw him leave drunk...

V

VanIsleMommy

so sad :( one article mentions both being buckled in... is it possible the straps tore out? It sounds like a pretty high impact collision, I wonder.

Chila88

There were 2 children ejected from a car during an accident this week where I live too. I immediately assumed they weren't in a carseat, and never thought about the outerwear thing either. Hmmmm.....

snowbird25ca

so sad :( one article mentions both being buckled in... is it possible the straps tore out? It sounds like a pretty high impact collision, I wonder.

I don't think the straps tore out - there's no damage to the fabric of the cover between the harness slots and the cover looks like it's still firmly seated on the shell of the seat. In the crash tests done by TC when the harnesses tore through the Britax seats, the covers flew forward too - I don't really see any way for the cover to not end up displaced in some way due to the way numerous places of the shell have to give in order for a harness to pull out...

U

Unregistered

I'm wondering if the older models of the seat were convertible to boosters as well. I just found out that a friend of a friend had her 2 year old using his AE as a booster because he was over 40lbs.... (I found a bunch of seats on sale and sent her the links to the seats and you guys, so hopefully she found him something new.) I can't see any straps in the seat. I'm wondering if the kid was just strapped in with the seatbelt by parents who didn't know any better.

Sad either way.

snowbird25ca

I'm wondering if the older models of the seat were convertible to boosters as well. I just found out that a friend of a friend had her 2 year old using his AE as a booster because he was over 40lbs.... (I found a bunch of seats on sale and sent her the links to the seats and you guys, so hopefully she found him something new.) I can't see any straps in the seat. I'm wondering if the kid was just strapped in with the seatbelt by parents who didn't know any better.

Sad either way.

Cosco rarely re-uses covers on different generations of seats and there are definitely no belt guides on this seat so it's certainly not an older one that could be converted to a booster. It is possible it was being used as a booster by parents who didn't know better. There are a lot of things that are possible and we'll likely never know what happened. Unfortunately, media reports on the child - but not if there was anything that could've been done in the way of educating other parents to prevent someone else's child from getting hurt...

tam_shops

Such a shame media doesn't use this opportunity to educate parent's IF wrong doing was done and could be corrected for others. ie snow suit or car seat incorrectly used as a booster.

Never occurred to me the reason I didn't see straps (though someone pointed out shadows, so they could be there and done up on the bottom-if a snowsuit was the problem) could be b/c they were removed and using the seat as a booster.

My car seat geek friend's mother replaced her AOE w/ TF and one child had been in booster mode in the AOE, so the first time she put her in the TF, the mom put the seat belt around her, instead of using the harness b/c she got confused. One more reason to dislike latch imho...

tam

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
Im going to talk to my boss tomorrow, about reaching out to the family and donating a new seat when the time comes.

Prayers for the whole family.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC