Quick reference of seats compliant for 2012 and how to know

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I am a bit confused by the dates of manufacture. Are seats only compliant if they have a DOM in 2012 or later??

No. Manufacturers switched their production from non-compliant versions, to compliant ones, at any point between May 2010 when the new standards were announced, and Jan 1 2012 when the new standards took effect. EVERY seat with a 2012 date of manufacture is compliant for sure, but whether a 2011 or even 2010 seat is depends widely on the specific seat in question (and some like the Scenera it even depends on which model/cover option you're talking about). If in doubt, call the manufacturer.

ADS

Pixelated

I had forgotten about them - I got an email from the US customer service stating they have 'always' been compliant in crash testing but not labeling - compliant seats would have a manufacture date of around December 2011, but am awaiting a response from the Canadian people as to when it actually was certified to the new standards with more specific info. I don't know what labeling changes would have been required? I'll follow up now.

Pixelated

The True Fit Premier had a manual change regarding routing of the shoulder belt in the lock-offs in Canada June 20 2011 to coincide with changes required for the new Transport Canada crash tests effective Jan 1 2012. Seats with a DOM prior to June 20 2011 are not compliant. This is per a conversation with a CS rep Kendy at the Tomy CS phone number this morning after she consulted with engineers and phoned me back.

Sorry US techs - I asked if the change was now optional for your seats and they said no. And older versions of the seat with the instruction to route the shoulder belt through both lock-offs must continue to follow that direction.

Pixelated

FINALLY heard back from Orbit today after several months of asking about when their seats became compliant:

The seats that meet these labeling requirements are manufactured December 2011 and on.

snowbird25ca

Do you know if the Parkways were affected by changes in compliance? If so, when did they become compliant?

Yes, the Parkways would've been affected because prior to the changes CMVSS 213.2 did not require dynamic crash testing. I don't know the date that production switched over, but I would guess it was similar time period to the other Britax seats which was July of 2011. You can test dates in their manual look-up and find an exact date by when the manual changes - the pdf manuals you can tell which are old and new just by the shape of the page. :)

snowbird25ca

Hello,
Are there any updates on how I can tell if my Evenflo Symphony 65 All-in-One Car Seat is compliant? I bought this model from Canadian Tire. Thanks.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Symphony+65+All-in-One+Car+Seat.jsp?locale=en

I believe that most of the Evenflo seats switched over in the Sept to November 2011 time period though it's possible that some models were a little bit earlier. Essentially if it has a minimum 22lb ff'ing weight limit, and has the bolsters on the front of the seat, then it's compliant.

This is the BRU compliant seat:
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/large...t_images/pTRUCA1-10534083dt.jpg&imageIndex=0#

Do you see how the front of the seat is higher up and curves more forward of the seat than the picture from Canadian Tire which shows the top rounded and not as high?

I'm going to guess that they have just kept an old stock picture, but I believe that Liberty was the seat being cleared out prior to 2012 so I'd be unsure without seeing the seat and knowing for sure.

Either way, that seat has a 30lb rf'ing weight limit and you can get a Symphony E3 from Babies R Us that has a 40lb rf'ing limit and is back to having the surelatch on it for $10 more. http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12960367 (And it goes on sale for lower than that if you have time to wait.)

Pixelated

In writing from Peg Perego re their infant seats:

As per your email, I would like to inform you that all car seats manufactured from December 2010 to present meet the new 2012 regulations. They also expire within 7 years. Anything before that date is non-compliant and will expire within 5 years form the mfd.

Last edited:

D'Bombs Mom

Hello, I'm a bit confused (first time mom and first time commentor). I bought a complete Peg Perego travel system on Decemeber 30th 2012 and was never told of the new rules for 2013. I contacted the store in Kitchener, ON where I bought it from as my SIP is not 30/30, it's something like 22lbs/30inches. The store advised me that the 2011 models still fall within the new requirements...is this true or untrue?

Pixelated

Hello, I'm a bit confused (first time mom and first time commentor). I bought a complete Peg Perego travel system on Decemeber 30th 2012 and was never told of the new rules for 2013. I contacted the store in Kitchener, ON where I bought it from as my SIP is not 30/30, it's something like 22lbs/30inches. The store advised me that the 2011 models still fall within the new requirements...is this true or untrue?

I'm not sure you have your dates in there correctly - do you mean you bought it December 2011?

Per the email above I posted any seat with a date of manufacture after December 2010 is compliant with the new rules. If the seat you bought has an older date of manufacture it was still legal for them to sell it to you in 2011, although unfortunate that they did not mention it. Many stores were deeply discounting non-compliant seats up until Dec 31 2011 and if that's the case maybe you got a good deal. The seat is not unsafe to use, and is legal for you to use for your family but if not compliant, can not be sold or given away once you're done with it.

D'Bombs Mom

I'm not sure you have your dates in there correctly - do you mean you bought it December 2011?

Per the email above I posted any seat with a date of manufacture after December 2010 is compliant with the new rules. If the seat you bought has an older date of manufacture it was still legal for them to sell it to you in 2011, although unfortunate that they did not mention it. Many stores were deeply discounting non-compliant seats up until Dec 31 2011 and if that's the case maybe you got a good deal. The seat is not unsafe to use, and is legal for you to use for your family but if not compliant, can not be sold or given away once you're done with it.
Yes, I did get my dates mixed up :s

I wish I got a good deal, we paid full price for the travel system. Lesson learned and I certainly will not be buying another item from that store.

Thank you for your info. I'm very happy to have found this site.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC