Quick reference of seats compliant for 2012 and how to know

dragonfly8

Grrrr, I wonder why Diono is telling people that their radians meet the new standards, when in fact, even though they do to some degree, they really don't?

Guess I'll be calling again tomorrow!

ADS

Emi's Mommy

Bumping to ask...

I saw a My Ride at Sears the other day. I didn't see the DOM but it looked like the ones in the pictures from the ABC expo. Could it be compliant given that at the same store I saw a clearance MR?

equilibrium

Do you remember what pattern it was? Did the top portion look different? I am curious. Hmm...if you are there again maybe secretly take a pic of it and post!

tam_shops

Think I wrote this on another thread already.

Diono told me in an email that the SKJP booster was *fine through 2012*. I explicitly replied asking if that meant it was 2012 compliant, or not and they didn't answer me. Really, my RN is fine too, but not compliant...unless it said 22# FF and I missed it...

tam

They said:
"The Monterey boosters are fine through 2012. There has been a minor change to the shoulder belt guide of the Diono Monterey."

Jewels

Senior Community Member
do we know if the designer 22 seat are compliant?

And thanks for the list and all the info you've given Trudy!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Bumping to ask...

I saw a My Ride at Sears the other day. I didn't see the DOM but it looked like the ones in the pictures from the ABC expo. Could it be compliant given that at the same store I saw a clearance MR?

Did it look any different at the front of the seat? Possibly higher at the edge that would contact the vehicle seat back when rf'ing?

From what has been said about final testing and almost ready I'd expect they had to change something - but I really don't know for sure.

I haven't heard anything about if new MR's are shipping - would sure be nice if they were though - did you happen to catch the DOM on it?

J

Jesse & Hunter's Mom

Have there been any news on the Peg Preggo infant car seats? I am looking at a used one that is for sale but don't want to buy it if it doesn't meet the new standards.

This thread may remain a work in progress, but due to the number of people expressing confusion and wanting a concise list, I'm going to put together a quick reference list by brand. There are a few seats that I can't give precise information on, but I have info on most brands.

Baby Trend: Production changed in the neighborhood of the 19th to 26th of September, 2011. I can't recall what the date is, but I believe there weren't any made for a little while before that.

Britax:

Production date change was near the end of July I believe. In the case of all the infant/child seats, the minimum ff'ing weight limit has increased from 20 to 22lbs. So any seat reflecting a 22lb minimum ff'ing limit and walking unassisted is 2012 compliant. The Frontier XT production changed at the same time I believe, I'm not sure about the infant seats although I believe that all of the B-Safe seats meet new standards.

Chicco Keyfit: Sept 21 is the DOM on our display at work. There is no labelling on the seat stating the handle is required to be up, but the pictures show the handle up and the manual has numerous red box warnings in it indicating that the handle must be in the carry position when in the vehicle, so this will be the defining factor.

Cosco/Dorel/Safety 1st

Infant Seats:

Maxi-Cosi - handle required up in car is compliant, if it isn't required up, it's not compliant
On Board/Sure Fit - I'm not sure the exact date change. There are some that required the handle up but weren't compliant to new standards - or weren't shipped as compliant anyways. I think they've been compliant since around May or so. If I have a chance to check the book at work I'll be able to tell you exactly how to differentiate compliant and non-compliant - they changed something with the placement of the little maple leaf and number code on the side stickers of the seat.
Designer 22 based seats - Don't know about this one or if it will be available as a 2012 compliant seat or not.

Infant/Child seats:

This one may be a gray zone on the Scenera based seats - there aren't any physical modifications made to the Scenera shell and I haven't seen the manual for the seat we carry based on the Scenera. If it says walking unassisted in it then that will be the defining difference.

Complete Air : 2012 compliant models
- now has an adjustable base on all models
- ff'ing weight limit raised to 65lbs
- walking unassisted clearly stated as a requirement for ff'ing both in the manual and on the stickers of the seat.
- dual line recline indicator.
- change in shape at the front of the seat. (I will be posting pictures of the difference between old and new shape in a blog post once I get the review of the updated Complete Air 65 seat done for carseatblog.com - preliminary view can be seen on the unboxing video. http://carseatblog.com/15975/canadian-complete-air-65-lx-convertible-unboxing/

Infant/child/booster seats: 2012 compliant models
- the elite models had the "tabs" for adjusing the harness height changed from red to gray
- rf'ing weight limit is raised to 40lbs, ff'ing weight limit raised to 65lbs
- have dual line indicators.
- recline handle has been changed to gray (used to be red)
- shell is visibly different at the front edges where a child's hands would rest
- walking unassisted clearly stated as a requirement for ff'ing both in the manual and on the stickers of the seat.
- rf'ing height limit raised to 36"

Child/booster: I don't know what changed with the summit - nothing obvious and again, I haven't seen the manual because our store has started putting manuals in security bags and storing them in a drawer... If they have put walking unassisted in these manuals, that will be the defining factor. (They probably have given that the complete air and 3in1's all have it.)

Booster seats: I'm not sure about these

Diono:

All Diono branded seats are compliant.

Evenflo:

Infant seats:
- All Secure Ride 35 and Embrace 35 are compliant, no seat with a "z" handle is compliant.
Infant/child seats, infant/child/booster, and child/booster seats:
- If the minimum ff'ing weight limit is 22lbs, it is compliant.
Booster seats:
- I'm not sure about the date change for their booster seats.

First years/Lamaze:

Infant Seat: Via 35 - compliant
Infant/child: No current True Fits are compliant. Compliant stock hasn't arrived in stores yet.
Booster seats: Not sure about this one

Graco:

Infant seats:
SR30 (not the safeseat, the actual snugride 30 model.) - all SR30 are compliant.
SR35 - handle required up in vehicle will be the biggest indicator. A sticker on one side of the handle reflects the requirement. Shape at the front lip of the seat has changed as well. Minimum weight limit on compliant seats is 4lbs.
SR22 - 2012 seats must have the handle left up in vehicle. Seats which allow A, D, or E aren't compliant to 2012 standards.

Infant/child seats:

My Ride: At present, no existing stock is compliant. I don't know what we'll see when the compliant MR shows up.
Comfort Sport: Not sure about this one. If it is passing, the ff'ing weight limit will have to be increased to 22lbs.

Child/Boosters:
Nautilus: Ff'ing weight limit increased to 22lbs.
Not sure if the Cargo will still be around - if it is, the minimum ff'ing weight limit will be increased to 22lbs.

Boosters:
Turbobooster: I don't know the date change on these. I can check the dates on our seats at work and come up with an approximate time frame, but it won't be precise.

Peg Perego: I'm not sure on this one. The 30/30 is definitely compliant once it arrives. There's the possibility that the 22lb seat is compliant given that it hasn't been clearanced yet.

Sunshine Kids:

No Sunshine Kids branded seat is 2012 compliant. Some passed by crash testing but not by labelling or manuals.

snowbird25ca

Have there been any news on the Peg Preggo infant car seats? I am looking at a used one that is for sale but don't want to buy it if it doesn't meet the new standards.

I don't know the date change for the Peg. I can tell you if it was made before June 2010 it's definitely not compliant, and I suspect any 2010 DOM isn't compliant but I can't be totally sure on that.

Ideally you don't want to buy a used seat anyways due to the unknown factors. You don't know how the seat has been treated, whether it's been in a collision, if it's been dropped, etc.

Often times people are selling their used seats for more money than you could buy a different brand new. If you're not attached to having a Peg infant seat, then I'd choose something else that was within your budget to buy new.

One thing to consider about the peg, is prior to 2011, they only had 5 year expiry dates, so the seat isn't good for as long as other brands. They tend to be a fairly heavy carrier as well.

Please feel free to start a new thread if you'd like some suggestions about selecting an infant seat. My apologies for the delay in reply - between the forum upgrades and New Years day things have been a bit slower on the forums than usual.

V

VanIsleMommy

do you have an exact date on the onboard infant seat yet? I keep forgetting the month of DOM on mine, all I know is it's a compliant seat with a 2011 DOM and is rated 4-22 pounds with a handle up requirement in the car.

snowbird25ca

I've updated the OP for Graco model # info.

do you have an exact date on the onboard infant seat yet? I keep forgetting the month of DOM on mine, all I know is it's a compliant seat with a 2011 DOM and is rated 4-22 pounds with a handle up requirement in the car.

I don't have an exact date. I know the manual revision on compliant seats was end of October. You could check your manual to see if that's your revision date or if there was another revision made since then?

V

VanIsleMommy

so no myride seats with a DOM before 2012 are compliant? I was looking at my myride the other day and it has a sticker on it stating the FF minimum is 22 pounds AND walking unassisted. I beleive it is a 2010.

Pixelated

so no myride seats with a DOM before 2012 are compliant? I was looking at my myride the other day and it has a sticker on it stating the FF minimum is 22 pounds AND walking unassisted. I beleive it is a 2010.

Some manuals had that before they tested to the new standards. I don't now if the DOM is 2012 on the new ones, but they'd be late 2011. The model number will start with an 18 if it's compliant.

sparkyd

I'm bumping to be a pain and ask if post #1 can be updated again. I know you can get compliant True Fits now and I think there might be more info on some seats. If memory serves I think Pixelated had some precise dates from Dorel? If I actually had any of the info in my head I'd post it here, but sadly, I do not. I'm just being a leech. :eek:

Thanks

snowbird25ca

I'm bumping to be a pain and ask if post #1 can be updated again. I know you can get compliant True Fits now and I think there might be more info on some seats. If memory serves I think Pixelated had some precise dates from Dorel? If I actually had any of the info in my head I'd post it here, but sadly, I do not. I'm just being a leech. :eek:

Thanks

Unfortunately Safety 1st is now flip-flopping on that list that Pixelated was originally given. :(

I know that I've updated the Graco, and Sunshine Kids (Monterey - we don't know what date that changed yet do we?)

eta: I put in a few updates. I have been insanely busy the last few weeks so if someone notices specific updates, please post to the thread and I will happily update.

Last edited:

Pixelated

Thanks

The List you're talking about is here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=211964

Dorel is being rather difficult about confirming or denying the accuracy of it. I think it was probably not supposed to be released, and it was just pure luck I got somebody at the right time who was willing to share. I'm kicking myself for not getting the CS rep's name, or more details, or being really leechy and asking her to email or fax it to me right then!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC