Quick reference of seats compliant for 2012 and how to know

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This thread may remain a work in progress, but due to the number of people expressing confusion and wanting a concise list, I'm going to put together a quick reference list by brand. There are a few seats that I can't give precise information on, but I have info on most brands.

Baby Trend: Production changed in the neighborhood of the 19th to 26th of September, 2011. I can't recall what the date is, but I believe there weren't any made for a little while before that.

Britax:

Production date change was near the end of July I believe. In the case of all the infant/child seats, the minimum ff'ing weight limit has increased from 20 to 22lbs. So any seat reflecting a 22lb minimum ff'ing limit and walking unassisted is 2012 compliant. The Frontier XT production changed at the same time I believe, I'm not sure about the infant seats although I believe that all of the B-Safe seats meet new standards.

Chicco Keyfit: Sept 21 is the DOM on our display at work. There is no labelling on the seat stating the handle is required to be up, but the pictures show the handle up and the manual has numerous red box warnings in it indicating that the handle must be in the carry position when in the vehicle, so this will be the defining factor.

Cosco/Dorel/Safety 1st - See this thread here for more specific info: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=211964
Dorel is denying the accuracy of the list now, but while incomplete, it appears to be accurate based on what we know for sure.

Infant Seats:

Maxi-Cosi - handle required up in car is compliant, if it isn't required up, it's not compliant
On Board/Sure Fit - I'm not sure the exact date change. There are some that required the handle up but weren't compliant to new standards - or weren't shipped as compliant anyways. I think they've been compliant since around May or so. If I have a chance to check the book at work I'll be able to tell you exactly how to differentiate compliant and non-compliant - they changed something with the placement of the little maple leaf and number code on the side stickers of the seat. I have seen one seat made in November 2010 which is compliant. I'm not sure if all of the On Board seats switched to compliancy at the same time or not. (Sometimes there are multiple shell molds that can influence something like that.)
Designer 22 based seats - Manual revision for the Designer 22 Starter Infant Seat is November 4, 2010. Seats prior to that won't be compliant. Seats after that may or may not be compliant depending on what manual/stickers they were shipped with.

Infant/Child seats:

This one may be a gray zone on the Scenera based seats - there aren't any physical modifications made to the Scenera shell and I haven't seen the manual for the seat we carry based on the Scenera. If it says walking unassisted in it then that will be the defining difference but I'm not sure they added that wording to the Scenera manual yet.

Complete Air : 2012 compliant models
- now has an adjustable base on all models
- ff'ing weight limit raised to 65lbs
- walking unassisted clearly stated as a requirement for ff'ing both in the manual and on the stickers of the seat.
- dual line recline indicator.
- change in shape at the front of the seat. (I will be posting pictures of the difference between old and new shape in a blog post once I get the review of the updated Complete Air 65 seat done for carseatblog.com - preliminary view can be seen on the unboxing video. http://carseatblog.com/15975/canadian-complete-air-65-lx-convertible-unboxing/

Infant/child/booster seats: 2012 compliant models
- the elite models had the "tabs" for adjusing the harness height changed from red to gray
- elite models have the handle for adjusting recline changed to gray. (regular models still have red handle.)
- rf'ing weight limit is raised to 40lbs, ff'ing weight limit raised to 65lbs
- have dual line indicators.
- shell is visibly different at the front edges where a child's hands would rest
- walking unassisted clearly stated as a requirement for ff'ing both in the manual and on the stickers of the seat.
- rf'ing height limit raised to 36"

Child/booster: I don't know what changed with the summit - nothing obvious and again, I haven't seen the manual because our store has started putting manuals in security bags and storing them in a drawer... If they have put walking unassisted in these manuals, that will be the defining factor. (They probably have given that the complete air and 3in1's all have it.)

Booster seats: I'm not sure about these

Diono:

All Diono branded seats are compliant.

Evenflo:

~sorry about the wonky table formatting~
Model Name Model Number (begins with) Compliant As Of
Amp High Back 319 10 October 2011
Big Kid No-back Booster 279 9 August 2011
Big Kid Booster 309 5 January 2011
Chase 329 16 June 2011
Embrace 331 30 June 2011
Embrace 35 315 22 August 2011
Generations 65 376 20 June 2011
Momentum 385 26 September 2011
Secure Ride 541 12 July 2011
SureRide all all
Symphony 65 345 7 October 2011
Symphony 65 346 7 October 2011
Titan 65 all all
Titan Elite 370 30 August 2011
Triumph Advance 65 382 7 September 2011

First years/Lamaze:

Infant Seat: Lamaze branded Via 35 - compliant
Infant/child: Lamaze branded True Fit is compliant. At present it looks like only the C670 anti-rebound model is compliant.
Booster seats: Not sure about this one

Graco: It appears that all seats that are compliant have a model number which begins with "18"

Infant seats:
SR30 (not the safeseat, the actual snugride 30 model.) - all SR30 are compliant.
SR35 - handle required up in vehicle will be the biggest indicator. A sticker on one side of the handle reflects the requirement. Shape at the front lip of the seat has changed as well. Minimum weight limit on compliant seats is 4lbs.
SR22 - 2012 seats must have the handle left up in vehicle. Seats which allow A, D, or E aren't compliant to 2012 standards.

Infant/child seats:

My Ride: Model # begins with 18 is compliant. Will have different insert/head pillow, and different buckle from original my ride.
Comfort Sport: Not sure about this one. If it is passing, the ff'ing weight limit will have to be increased to 22lbs.

Child/Boosters:
Nautilus: Ff'ing weight limit increased to 22lbs. - Change happened in production in May of 2011 at the latest - it may have been before that but the display at my BRU store is May 30, 2011 DOM.
Not sure if the Cargo will still be around - if it is, the minimum ff'ing weight limit will be increased to 22lbs.

Boosters:
Turbobooster: I don't know the date change on these. I can check the dates on our seats at work and come up with an approximate time frame, but it won't be precise.

Peg Perego: I'm not sure on this one. The 30/30 is definitely compliant once it arrives. The 2011 Peg seats are compliant but I'm not sure what date manufacturing switched over.

Sunshine Kids: Change to Monterey info

No Sunshine Kids branded seat is 2012 compliant. Some passed by crash testing but not by labelling or manuals.

**January 9, 2012 - Diono has indicated to a few people that some of the SK branded Monterey seats are compliant to the updated standards. The shoulder belt guides were changed at one point in the Monterey's during the 2011 production, so perhaps this is the division? I requested clarification but haven't received it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

npl

Thanks so much - that's a really helpful list!

BTW, I tried emailing Lamaze/First Years to ask about when the TFP would be in stores, but received no reply. I really wish I knew either way. I think the whole issue of whether seats are compliant and when the compliant models will be available is frustrating a lot of people. It is hard not being able to buy car seats when you need them! On the other hand, I bet Britax has been doing really well recently, with their seats consistently available for sale.

snowbird25ca

Thanks so much - that's a really helpful list!

BTW, I tried emailing Lamaze/First Years to ask about when the TFP would be in stores, but received no reply. I really wish I knew either way. I think the whole issue of whether seats are compliant and when the compliant models will be available is frustrating a lot of people. It is hard not being able to buy car seats when you need them! On the other hand, I bet Britax has been doing really well recently, with their seats consistently available for sale.

We were consistently sold out of Britax at work because there were only 2 brands in stock for rf'ing infant/child seats that were compliant - evenflo with their 30lb rf'ing minimum, and then Britax with their 40lb minimum.

Now that we have the 3in1's, the complete air, and a scenera in eddie bauer clothing in stock, people have choice again. Which is good, because we are almost completely out of stock of Britax again... (Only 2 of the normal 5 in-stock models even have displays...)

ninejr

Wait have you seen the sr30? Is it here? I am waiting for it for the new baby. Do we know if it is any different from the US sr30?

snowbird25ca

Wait have you seen the sr30? Is it here? I am waiting for it for the new baby. Do we know if it is any different from the US sr30?

It's available in a travel system at TRU - I haven't had a chance to look at it closely - it's 4 to 30 lbs and up to 30". Base doesn't have lock-offs, it has 3 harness heights. It's the new Chadwick travel system if you're able to view it online - I don't know if it's online yet or not. The seat doesn't appear to have any modifications the way the SR35 did, so I'm guessing it's the same basic seat as the US version, likely just some differences in padding type stuff.

selinajean

THANK YOU!

Yes, yes, I am screaming. I am a little (maybe a lot) excited for this list and I may just have a wee bit of a geek crush right now too.
Thank you so much for doing this, Trudy!

Keeanh

THANK YOU!

Yes, yes, I am screaming. I am a little (maybe a lot) excited for this list and I may just have a wee bit of a geek crush right now too.
Thank you so much for doing this, Trudy!

:ROTFLMAO: You're too funny.

Thanks so much Trudy!!

npl

Just came back here to double-check which you said were in stock at your TRU. I went to the biggest store in the area, and there was no Complete Air on display, although the Alpha Omega Elite 2012 was labelled as Complete Air.
Then again, the sales associate gave me quite a bit of outdated and inaccurate information, so when she told me that they weren't available yet, and the ones on the website are 2011s, and they might not come in till April, I wasn't sure I believed her.
Anyone know where the idea of turning toddlers at 18mos comes from? That had me confused.
I had to do some educating of the sales lady about ERF and bent legs.
On the positive side, when I explained that this was for ERF and that I have a Nautilus for when we are ready to FF, she did ask how old it was to make sure it wasn't expired.

snowbird25ca

Just came back here to double-check which you said were in stock at your TRU. I went to the biggest store in the area, and there was no Complete Air on display, although the Alpha Omega Elite 2012 was labelled as Complete Air.
Then again, the sales associate gave me quite a bit of outdated and inaccurate information, so when she told me that they weren't available yet, and the ones on the website are 2011s, and they might not come in till April, I wasn't sure I believed her.
Anyone know where the idea of turning toddlers at 18mos comes from? That had me confused.
I had to do some educating of the sales lady about ERF and bent legs.
On the positive side, when I explained that this was for ERF and that I have a Nautilus for when we are ready to FF, she did ask how old it was to make sure it wasn't expired.

I don't know what area you're in, but I know that if you're in the Edmonton area, the West end store had 2 complete airs plus a display in stock as of Saturday at 10:30pm. Sounds like the lady knew nothing about actual 2012 standards seats... Oh how I wish it was simple - and supported on a corporate level, to give all employees a basic useful overview of car seats...

npl

I'm in Ontario. Maybe it's taking a while for them to make their way East?
And yes, being the kind of person who does a lot of research before I make a major purchase, I find that most store associates in any kind of store don't know that much about their products. I've had the same thing when buying a dishwasher, which was so sad when I went to a store that advertised that their sales associates are knowledgeable about their products!

snowbird25ca

I'm in Ontario. Maybe it's taking a while for them to make their way East?
And yes, being the kind of person who does a lot of research before I make a major purchase, I find that most store associates in any kind of store don't know that much about their products. I've had the same thing when buying a dishwasher, which was so sad when I went to a store that advertised that their sales associates are knowledgeable about their products!

Distribution starts out East... They may be sold out already - or perhaps have stock and just don't realize it? The only Cosco/Dorel seats shipping in are compliant with 2012 standards. The website has some remaining clearance stock, and it's possible some of the smaller stores have some clearance stock still - but if it's regular price it's 2012 compliant. So the lady just really didn't know anything unfortunately.

dragonfly8

Hmm, I had called Sunshine Kids/Diono and they told me that yes, my 2010 Radian 65 was 2012 compliant............were they incorrect?

Pixelated

Hmm, I had called Sunshine Kids/Diono and they told me that yes, my 2010 Radian 65 was 2012 compliant............were they incorrect?

It may have passed the new testing, but the labels aren't compliant - is my understanding. I believe that everything branded Diono IS compliant, and everything branded SKJP is NOT compliant.

snowbird25ca

It may have passed the new testing, but the labels aren't compliant - is my understanding. I believe that everything branded Diono IS compliant, and everything branded SKJP is NOT compliant.

This is correct. In the update that Diono did with a small group of Canadian technicians they said that the SK Radian are not compliant - that they passed dynamically but did not comply by labels and manual.

sparkyd

That is my understanding as well. They were actually shipping seats several months ago with big "2012 compliant" labelling on the box. But they totally weren't compliant because of the labels and manual wording that needed to be changed. That stuff is as much a part of the Regulations as the actual testing, which apparently the seats did pass. At least that's what I've heard.

ETA: Just noticed the cross-post. Oops. Apparently I missed "page 2"

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

I wonder if Diono will send replacement stickers/manual if they state the previous models (2010) are compliant?

No, because the national safety mark was affixed to it certifying them to old standards. It would be the same reason why there were rumours that circulated about SK sending out 65lb labels for their 48lb seats back when the temporary order increasing the 213 weight limit took effect in 2007, but it never happened - you can't change the certification of a seat after the seat has left the factory. It was shipped as being certified to old standards, so the fact that it dynamically passes the new standards is fine for parents to know, but doesn't change the fact that they were certified to the old standards - new manuals and stickers wouldn't change that. (Although I will admit that the advertising on the box is somewhat confusing as to what standard they actually did test those seats to...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC