Locking unused seatbelts

honeydew

So, I never gave much thought to locking or buckling any unused seatbelts that could be in reach of a RF child, until Thursday night.

I was driving Madeleine, her mom and myself home from dinner. Madi was RF in the Radian, passenger outboard, installed with superLATCH. Her mom was in the front passenger seat. We were talking and I heard an odd sound from Madi's direction. It took me a second to figure out what the heck it was. I glanced in the back seat and I saw the unused seatbelt for her seating position in her hand. The sound was the ratcheting of the switchable retractor. :eek: :jaw:

I freaked, she dropped it and then her mom told me that's her favorite game in her dad's car. :eek:

So, now all unused seatbelts near her are buckled and locked (for good measure I routed the shoulder belts behind the headrest, buckled and then locked).

:eek: :jaw: :eek: :sick: :( described me Thursday night.

ADS

cupcakepirate11

maybe I am not understanding why this is such a serious thing? I have my son in the middle with the seat belt so he can't reach the other seat belts anyways.

why such a big deal? (honestly curious!)

honeydew

If she had wrapped it around her neck after it started retracting, she could have been strangled. If I'd had the radio loud or her mom and I were having a loud conversation, I wouldn't have heard the ratcheting. Since she's passenger outboard, she can reach the passenger seatbelt, as well as the center.

blueindigo

maybe I am not understanding why this is such a serious thing? I have my son in the middle with the seat belt so he can't reach the other seat belts anyways.

why such a big deal? (honestly curious!)

I think the concern is a child wrapping the belt around their neck and then locking the seat belt and strangling themselves.
ETA: I am a slow poster, OP answered already :)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yep, they've added it to the checklist for techs to cover with parents. There have been a few instances -- at a minimum, a child, and a grandma, IIRC?

I think we had a member here whose child had a narrow escape, as well.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
That is something we have on our check lists at inspection stations as well. We used to only mention it for FFing children if their seat was installed with the lower anchors, but now do it for all since older RFing kids can manage to reach them too.

I'm so glad you heard the belt!

Last edited:

honeydew

It's not on our check form - I should contact the coalition leader to have it added. It definitely gave me a good scare!

Baylor

So we should give this warning to people with rfing children? I want to make sure I understand exactly.

auto-correct on the loose..

Dorothy

Is there a checklist or flyer or something I could forward to my friends and family? When I way it, its like "Whatevs, crazy lady!" If its professional, so to speak, its more readily accepted, IYKWIM? TIA

Sent from my phone using the app :)

Baylor

DorothyoutofOz said:
Is there a checklist or flyer or something I could forward to my friends and family? When I way it, its like "Whatevs, crazy lady!" If its professional, so to speak, its more readily accepted, IYKWIM? TIA

Sent from my phone using the app :)

This!

Baylor

So I was just discussing this with my cousin. Her sons seat is installed with latch but she just to me her son has. Even pulling the belt and playing with it.

So she need to uninstall and buckle seat belt lock it then install cs again with LATCH right?

honeydew

So I was just discussing this with my cousin. Her sons seat is installed with latch but she just to me her son has. Even pulling the belt and playing with it.

For she need to uninstall and buckle seat belt lock it then install cs again with LATCH?

I didn't even uninstall. I just routed the seatbelt around the headrest, buckled, switched the retractor and then fed the slack back in.

Baylor

Let me make sure I am getting what you are saying. You pulled the seat belt around back of headrest and then buckled it down the side and locked it.

honeydew

photo-1.jpg

Shoulder belt routed around head rest

photo2-1.jpg

Back view of shoulder belt

photo1-1.jpg

Lap belt is resting on the Radian. It's not interfering with the install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC