Flying With Two Car Seats

chekhovgirl

Our family will be flying together for the first time next week. I've flown with both the boys without my husband and car seats waiting for us at the other end (yes, I did not have my kids in car seats on the plane, I know) but this time it will be all of us+two car seats+side by side double stroller+ as much carry on baggage as we can manage so we don't pay too many baggage fees.

So here are my questions- how do you get all this stuff through the airport??
And what do I need to know about having the car seats on the plane? Last time we brought a non-infant seat on a plane we had a rear facing Marathon, now we'll be bringing two Graco Nautilus seats. What if they don't fit? I don't think we have exact seating assignments yet. I'm just worried that they (and my husband) are going to tell us to check the seats and I don't want to do that. They are our secondary seats from Grandma's car.

Thanks in advance for any help!

ADS

kalamos23

Make the kids walk or wear them and pile the stroller with seats and bags. Gate check the stroller. Had to do cross country with 2 kids and 2 seats on my own :) it works well!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can you deal with renting or buying or borrowing a double stroller at your destination? Get two Traveling Toddlers, strap the Nautiluses to your suitcases, and have your kids walk.

The Nautiluses will fit. If the seat is a bit narrow, just put the armrest up.

Also, buy what you need there. I'm going cross country next week (likely me and the girls, my husband may join us). For the three of us for four days in a hotel I'll take one suitcase. Piper may take her own suitcase as well (we're going for a hanukah party, that'll leave room to bring home gifts, otherwise I'll ship stuff back). I'll have a backpack. Then Laine's Coccoro on the Traveling Toddler. I'll probably have Piper's BubbleBum packed, just in case. I won't be checking anything. If it's the four of us then we'll probably take my suitcase and my husband's, and still have room enough to bring home gifts.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd do travelling toddlers but have either you or your husband drag both suitcases with nautiluses, while the other pushes the stroller. (I am reading right that you and your husband are both going, yes?)

chekhovgirl

Arm yourself with information, too. If you have purchased tickets for your kids, they can't make you check the seats: http://carseatblog.com/8037/guest-blog-flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

Thank you, I will! I think what we're going to do is check the stroller at the ticket counter (have a bag it will fit in) and then strap the GN's to our carry-ons. Any suggestions of how to do this? I've seen this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Seat-Travel-Accessory/dp/B000JHN3AS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323921474&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Traveling Toddler Car Seat Travel Accessory: Baby[/ame]

And the review of it (by "Jessica") which explains how to "hack" it- does this work well? I think my kids are too big to ride in their seats on our suitcases, I just want to put the seats on there.

We thought about renting a stroller on the other end, but it was going to cost us upwards of $100 (outside stroller rental company at Disney) and then we are going to a relative's house after that and it would be nice to have the stroller if we need it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not sure what the hack is, I'm on my phone and not clicking the link, but I love our Traveling Toddler. It's the easiest way I've ever transported a carseat.

Wendy

chekhovgirl

Not sure what the hack is, I'm on my phone and not clicking the link, but I love our Traveling Toddler. It's the easiest way I've ever transported a carseat.

Wendy

Many people in the reviews said they did what this one woman posted which was just to use a metal ring and thread the latch anchors behind the suitcase, basically eliminating the need for the Traveling Toddler. It seems like a good idea, but it also seems easy to rig up something of your own. I guess I'll try something like that now!

Eclipsepearl

The only risk is if your rolly bag is gate-checked. There are far too many used on aircraft these days (still get the F/A newsletters with all their seething over this issue). If they take your rolly bag because there's no room to stow it, then you are stuck carrying your car seat in your arms all the way off the aircraft... (Gate checked suitcases are usually sent to baggage claim).

So if they need to take it, besides making sure your computer is not in there, ask that it be returned to the jetway, not sent to baggage claim.

Easier to just use a metal, folding luggage cart, IMHO. Use extra bungees and stow the cart on the floor. Easier to use backpacks with children as carry-on's, rather than awkward rolly bags but do what works for you.

Cath3114

I recently attached a Scenera to my rolling suitcase using the LATCH straps, a metal ring, and 3 carabiners (it was a tight squeeze, but it worked). DD rode in it through the airport. The worst part is taking it all apart for security. I was by myself and she's only 16 months, so it was stressful doing all that while trying to keep her from running off. But I didn't see the need for buying a $15 accessory when I could spend $3 on the clips.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I recently attached a Scenera to my rolling suitcase using the LATCH straps, a metal ring, and 3 carabiners (it was a tight squeeze, but it worked). DD rode in it through the airport. The worst part is taking it all apart for security. I was by myself and she's only 16 months, so it was stressful doing all that while trying to keep her from running off. But I didn't see the need for buying a $15 accessory when I could spend $3 on the clips.

Yeah, but it takes me about 10 seconds to get the seat off at security, and about 30 seconds to get it back on. I'm all for DIY in this case, but when it comes to kids in the security line, whatever is easiest rocks.

I can't roll a bag down the aisle with my car seat on anyway, so gate-checking isn't a huge risk for me...

I can, at least with a Coccoro. I have yet to find an aisle I can't, though turning into the aisle of our 767 this week was tough. I had to angle it, but then it fit.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC