Another WWYD question...

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
My friend, J, is going through a divorce and has two kids. Z is 5 (just turned) and about 33-35lbs. C is 6 months and 16 lbs. She needs to get seats for Z, but is very, very low on funds, and asking friends/family to chip in is not an option. I'm looking for the most long term and low costing solution for her. Would you consider boostering Z (in an highback booster that he meets the minimum requirements on and fits well in)? I suggested the Maestro for him, but even the $70 that it costs is too much for her now. I do think he would be a great booster rider. He's very saftey concious and knows how/why to sit still in the car. Maturity wise, he's there and would be fine. But, he's very skinny.

Honestly, if they were a family that I didn't know and they came into a check, we would get him fitted for a booster (he's outgrown the Titan he's currently in and it needs to get passed down to C anyway). But, if he were MY kid, I wouldn't booster him yet. Though, I have the funds to purchase new seats for my kids as they need them. Argh. I just don't know what to do. She's between such a rock and a hard place with everything that's going on with the separation/divorce.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A booster-ready 5yo in a well-fitting highbacked booster may not be the best of best practices, but it's better than most of what's out there. I'd okay it.

kater-tot82

I would put Z in a booster in that situation and just make sure he sat properly...it sounds like you think he can so that is a big plus. I would probably get a TurboBooster for him since it usually fits smaller kids well.

I hope her situation improves.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC