RF carseat

Nimommyof2

Hi

I need a new carseat for my 21/2 yr old for RF currently she is in an evenflo titan but I realised she is right at the limit for the one inch rule. I drive a Chevy Venture 2003 8 passenger van I currently have her seat in the middle of the third row between two boosters so it needs to be narrow or have a highfoot print(think thats what it is called). I don't have her exact stats but she weighs right around 25lbs(if that much) so a lightweight and height I'm not sure but to tall for the evenflo titan. I don't want to spend a crazy amount but will if I have no other choice. I possibly could place her behind the driver's seat RF besides the Graco MR that is RF in the middle middle. I would need to a buy a radian for FF in the third row middle in that case. Couple quick questions if I were to get a Radian would you recommend the headwing ones? Also since she gains weight obviously on the slow side would another evenflo seat with a higher height limit be okay. Would the TF be recommended to put behind the driver's seat besides the Graco MR?(I dont' even know if you can still buy those, also does the TF take alot of room front to back and can it touch the driver's seat? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You might have luck with a Scenera. Does the My Ride fit in the 3rd row and would it give you room for a larger seat in the 2nd row if it did? The MR actually has quite a narrow foot print and would've been one I would suggest if it was easy to find in stores right now.

The True Fit is very hard to find right now, and it is a rather wide seat that doesn't puzzle well at all - at least in the configurations I've tried it in anyways. It's not bad in terms of front to back space, but widthwise it's fairly consistent in it's width and has a tall shell so really is difficult to puzzle with.

You might have some luck with puzzling a complete air rf'ing next to a MR, but I haven't tried the new one out with other seats yet to know how it puzzles and it will puzzle differently with the change in the shell and the addition of the base.

But the Scenera might work - it's narrow and has a shorter shell compared to many seats, but it's taller than the Titan.

Another Evenflo would have a higher shell height if you could fit it - if you can access the knobs you'll get the most height room out of the Triumph. If you can't access the knobs than that leaves you with the Momentum and the Symphony. I think they're fairly similar in height, though the Momentum would give you more rf'ing room because the symphony has limitations on the headrest positions which can be used rf'ing.

What are the boosters in the 3rd row and is it an option to switch them for narrower ones if needed? How difficult are they to buckle with the titan there right now?

Nimommyof2

the two boosters are highback evenflo and parkway I don't really see switching them. I have considered getting a radian to FF in the middle than I could put the RF seat on one side. I have to buckle one of the boosters in now(the evenflo so thats why I've considered the two carseats). I do have the evenflo generations on the one side of the MR now. Maybe I'll try to find a store with the Radian and put it in the back middle and see how the MR fits besides that and then play with my options for the middle middle seat. My concern with the Radian in the middle back is sometime kids switch seats and there is a height differnce so do you think it matters if it pretty high slots on one kid

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
the two boosters are highback evenflo and parkway I don't really see switching them. I have considered getting a radian to FF in the middle than I could put the RF seat on one side. I have to buckle one of the boosters in now(the evenflo so thats why I've considered the two carseats). I do have the evenflo generations on the one side of the MR now. Maybe I'll try to find a store with the Radian and put it in the back middle and see how the MR fits besides that and then play with my options for the middle middle seat. My concern with the Radian in the middle back is sometime kids switch seats and there is a height differnce so do you think it matters if it pretty high slots on one kid

Regarding the Radian and kids switching seats, it depends on the size and weight of the kids. (Reminder to US people reading this thread, this is in the Canadian forum.)

The Radian seat has something called a safestop - it's a load limiter device intended to reduce the forces on a ff'ing child. It *must* be used with a ff'ing child who weighs less than 40lbs. So if one kid is under 40lbs and one kid is over 40lbs, that creates a difficulty for you right there.

The top 2 harness heights on the Radian are spaced about 3" apart, so depending on the size of the kids, it's possible that they'll both be using the same harness slots anyways. It would really depend on how big of a difference in torso height we're talking as to whether or not I'd be concerned with the kids switching seats - assuming they're both either under or over 40lbs.

A rf'ing radian might be a possibility if you can get your hands on one of the new wedges that are designed for a more upright installation. The boot on the radian is quite narrow at the front so it may make it easier in terms of buckling boosters next to it.

Edmonton and Calgary both have West Coast Kids (used to be E-children,) and they carry the Radian. It could be a starting point anyways. The generations is a relatively wide seat, but it's lower profile so it may sit underneath the armrests of the My Ride. If it's doing that, then there may be less room to install a seat beside the MR than it seems.

Nimommyof2

Okay that won't work for the Radian then. What other seat would work for two children FF that I can adjust the harness on withoug rethreading it? I needs to be at least as tall as the generations and have a high weight limit? I think I may look into the scenera or radian for RF in the back what is this wedge you are talking about and how much will it cost?? Hmm I am really going to have to go play with some carseats I guess.

Nimommyof2

Does anyone have any idea if two RF radians would fit side by side in the back of a 2003 chevy venture? How much space does a Radian take up when RF? I can't remember can it be braced on the seat in front of it?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC