Safe Kids giving out bad information?

amy919

My BIL's girlfriend has a 20 month old. She works with my BIL at a county prison. She works in administration and works really closely with Safe Kids. Safe Kids comes in on a regular basis to educate pregnant women on car seat safety, gives them seats, etc.

So BIL's GF and I were talking over the weekend and she mentioned how cute Teagan's seat is (gotta love that Aloha cover:)). She asked if Teagan's legs touched the back of the seat yet. I said oh yeah, she just props her feet up, no big deal, more comfortable for them anyway, etc. This inspired a discussion between us. She said that she didn't turn her son until he was about 17 months old. I asked her what kind of seat she had and she said that her friend from Safe Kids gave her a seat, I can't remember what it was. She said they're always giving out different seats depending on who wins the contract for that period. She was naming a bunch of different seats and I can't remember which one she has. But I do know she said that he still hadn't reached the RF limit of his seat.

So anyway, BIL's GF is safety conscious. She refused to let her son ride with her ex becuase he wouldn't put the baby in the middle - he said it was too inconvenient to get him in and out. She won that battle. But she has him FF! So I asked why she was so concerned about him being in the middle of the back seat, but still FF'd him, knowing that RF was safer. She said that she really didn't want to. That she had read a lot about RF them as long as possible and had no intention of turning him. BUT, she had her friend from Safe Kids check her seat since it had been in her mom's car. She wanted to make sure she re-installed it right.

Well, her Safe Kids friend told her that she HAD to turn him FF as soon as his legs touch the seat. If not, he could break his legs. I told her that this was definitely wrong, that there is NO evidence that shows this, that even IF that was the case, I would prefer a broken leg over a broken neck, etc.

But here's the problem. She said that she didn't disagree with me. That everything she's read went along with everything I said. BUT, her friend told her that if she didn't turn the seat around and FF, she couldn't help her. She said that she couldn't even check the seat if she wasn't going to turn it around because it was unsafe for him in the RF position.

I told her that her friend was giving out wrong information and that she should report it. But she won't, because she doesn't want her friend to get in trouble, after she gave her a car seat and all. I suggested that she call anonymously, but she's not willing to do that, either. Honestly, although she said she agreed with me, I'm not sure if she was just being polite or what. I really think she does believe RF is safer, but she believes her friend, who's certified and is with Safe Kids knows best.

I don't know that there's anything I can do. I don't this girl's name or anything. But this girl is giving out wrong information, to people that generally know NOTHING about safety. DH says to mind my own business, I can't save the world, yada, yada, yada. His opinion is that I should be grateful that these people are being educated and given seats. That without Safe Kids, these children would be far worse off. But I still don't think that makes it right. What would you do? My plan right now is to have another conversation with BIL's GF and try to convince her to do something. I think I have a chance of making her come around.

Amy

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Something needs to be done, that's just wrong. I suppose they could either have 1) people installing seats that aren't techs or 2) someone who used to be certified back in the day but isn't current. This is part of the reason some of us are hoping the new requirements to become recertified help, but if they're letting people check who aren't certified, then that won't help anyways. It's sad that they give out dumb info like that and even ever worse that they said they couldn't help her. The only time I would refuse to help someone is if they were doing something that would kill their child. I generally just make notes that I told the parent best practice and they refused and make them sign it.

amy919

I suppose they could either have 1) people installing seats that aren't techs or 2) someone who used to be certified back in the day but isn't current.

Safe Kids people don't have to be certified? I thought they did, but I don't really know anything about them and just made the assumption.

Amy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Of course they do, but it's up to the person in charge of running the checks etc to make sure they are. Now I'm hoping since they are directly working w/ a Safe Kids group that they would make sure everyone is certified and up to date, but obviously something is wrong in that group.

Connor's Mom

Wow, I am all nervous about my seat check Friday after reading all the wacked out advice that techs are giving every one here.

Any of yall feel like taking a trip to the capitol of the Lone Star State to check out my Regent install? :whistle:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
BUT, her friend told her that if she didn't turn the seat around and FF, she couldn't help her. She said that she couldn't even check the seat if she wasn't going to turn it around because it was unsafe for him in the RF position.

I told her that her friend was giving out wrong information and that she should report it. But she won't, because she doesn't want her friend to get in trouble, after she gave her a car seat and all. I suggested that she call anonymously, but she's not willing to do that, either. Honestly, although she said she agreed with me, I'm not sure if she was just being polite or what. I really think she does believe RF is safer, but she believes her friend, who's certified and is with Safe Kids knows best.

Show her this video. It has some of the car-seat.org members' kids in it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow, I am all nervous about my seat check Friday after reading all the wacked out advice that techs are giving every one here.

Any of yall feel like taking a trip to the capitol of the Lone Star State to check out my Regent install? :whistle:

Oh yeah, you'll know way more than a tech does about your seats and your car and your kid and how to make them all fit together safely...just think of it as entertainment and come back and dish to us :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC