#1 cause of death stat?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
WARNING: SENSITIVE CONTENT IN THREAD (re: causes of child death)

Does anyone know where the statistic originates that car crashes are the #1 killer of kids? Depending on the study/report, it seems to vary and I'd like a reputable link.

(Not to say I'm doubting it, I'd just like a link to provide to others.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

Carrie_R

Yes! The first time I remember seeing the stat, it was ages 1-34 so things are getting better for us (or worse for drownings, not sure which.)

ETA: And, thanks!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Taken as a whole, it's still #1 for 1-34, I believe. But if you break it down into smaller age groups, it is 2nd after drowning for the 1-4 set.

Of all the parents I know personally who have lost children to accidental death between the ages of 1 and 4, 3 have been drownings and 1 was from eating a bottle of tylenol. Drowning kills a hell of a lot of children in this age group. :( So being 2nd place after drowning doesn't in any way mean that MVA deaths are a small thing... it just means drowning is bigger.

And I'm as neurotic about water safety as I am about car safety.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have a pool in my backyard and I'm way more paranoid about it than I am about carseats. And that says something...sometimes I wish I didn't know these stats, and thought the little plastic covers (you know the ones, the ones that were recalled for choking hazard?) would provide a cloak of invincibility over my children..

-N.

monstah

This jumped out at me.

•More than two-thirds of fatally injured children were killed while riding with a drinking driver.

So sad to think how many kids are dying in cars due to the negligence of the people who are supposed to be protecting them and from riding with their buddies who insist they are sober enough to drive. :(

Belt up properly and don't drink & drive. The US would save SO many kids.

Carrie_R

Does anyone know the break down on cause of death period vs cause of death by accident?

It depends on the age group. If you go to this link, then search the defaults, it will give you an accurate picture of 2008. You can manipulate the variables there.

In 2008, for ages 1-4, 31% of kids died of unintentional injury, 11% of congenital anomoly, 8.9% of homicide, and so on down the list.

I'm gonna edit the title of this thread to add a warning, I didn't think about the fact that it would turn into a lengthy discussion (not a problem, just think it needs a warning!)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I've always understood it to be that motor vehicle crashes are the #1 cause of ACCIDENTAL death. More young people die of organic causes than of accidents, but of those who die accidentally, more die from motor vehicle crashes than any other kind of accident.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, it really has been THE number one cause of death, for kids over age 1 (SIDS and birth defects for the under-one crowd). Nice to see it creeping down the ranks finally...

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Of all the parents I know personally who have lost children to accidental death between the ages of 1 and 4, 3 have been drownings and 1 was from eating a bottle of tylenol.
I am super sad that you know that many children who have died accidentally. :(

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
crunchierthanthou said:
Yeah, you don't get any safer in vehicles at age 34. Natural causes just catch up with you.

Just realized that as of two weeks ago, I'm now in the "natural causes catching up with you" category. :eek:

luckyclov

Just realized that as of two weeks ago, I'm now in the "natural causes catching up with you" category. :eek:
Save some room for me on the designated sofa. I'll be joining you in August. We can grab some non-alchololic beverages (meds and all), check eachothers' edema, and gossip about all the cunnin' new car seats.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, actually, wait. Does that mean until the 34th birthday, or through age 34? If it's the latter, I still have a year to go before I need to be more afraid of natural causes.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I am super sad that you know that many children who have died accidentally. :(

Me too. I actually didn't know any of the children; I know the parents (come to think of it, in one case I don't even know the parents, I know the grandparents). I have personally known other, older children who have died (one drowning and three murders) but not in the 1-4 age set.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Me too. I actually didn't know any of the children; I know the parents (come to think of it, in one case I don't even know the parents, I know the grandparents). I have personally known other, older children who have died (one drowning and three murders) but not in the 1-4 age set.
:eek: Way too many for you to know. Sorry. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC