Refutes Freakonomics?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I'm looking for the supposed studies from "Europe" which showed rear facing is unsafe past 25 lb. I found this instead:

Inertial Neck Injuries in Children Involved in Frontal Collisions
Abstract:
There is a paucity of data regarding the potential for pediatric cervical spine injury as a result of acceleration of the head with no direct impact during automotive crashes. Sled tests were conducted using a 3-year-old anthropomorphic test device (ATD) to investigate the effect of restraint type and crash severity on the risk of pediatric inertial neck injury. At higher crash severities, the ATD restrained by only the vehicle three-point restraints sustained higher peak neck tension, peak neck extension and flexion moments, neck injury criterion (Nij) values, peak head accelerations, and HIC values compared to using a forward-facing child restraint system (CRS). The injury assessment reference values (IARVs) for peak tension and Nij were exceeded in all 48 and 64 kph delta-V tests using any restraint type. The test at a delta-V of 64 kph using only the vehicle belts as restraints resulted in peak upper neck tension, peak upper neck extension moment, and Nij values two times greater than the corresponding IARV. Only small differences were found in the injury metrics between a CRS installed with and without webbing tension except that head excursion was greater in the installation without webbing tension. These data show that the potential for neck injury exists for children involved in severe frontal crashes and restrained in either a forward-facing CRS or by vehicle belts¿only, even in the absence of head contact.

Can't find the full text elsewhere, and I'm not dishing out $14 to read it.

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
Man I must have potty brain today, I don't understand what that's meant to be saying?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Heh, I needed my coffee before I could focus on that ... I do miss the days before I became addicted to caffiene!

Focusing on the concluding sentence -- even if the child (over 2 years old, which is the cut off for Freakonomics theory) does not impact the vehicle interior there is increased risk of spinal injury when FF: basically, it's saying to keep kids RF (information based on U.S. autopsies only looked at kids under 24 months reveal that they're about 4 times as likely to suffer fatal spine injury when FF, but there wasn't enough kids still RF over 2 years old so this is a nice study to say basically that the *only* recommended time to turn FF is when the child can no longer fit the RF limits) :thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm looking for the supposed studies from "Europe" which showed rear facing is unsafe past 25 lb. I found this instead:

Inertial Neck Injuries in Children Involved in Frontal Collisions

Can't find the full text elsewhere, and I'm not dishing out $14 to read it.

Hmmm...if you're looking to refute freakonimics, I posted the link from CHOP a few months ago (Tiffany? You have that still? I don't have time to look for it again).

Anyway, this study is saying to RF a long time? :whistle: That Australia and Canada's 'solution' of top tethering isn't as great as they think it is? I dunno, my brain's not up yet....

UlrikeDG

They don't actually compare RF to FF, just FF to Booster. They found an increased risk with booster vs FF seat, even when the straps on the FF seat were looser than they should be (although looser straps did increase the risk as well).

Additionally, there was the possiblility for neck injury in frontal crashes even when CRS was the "safer" FF 5 point seat. It stops short of drawing conclusions about the relative safety of rear facing, as rear facing seats were not tested.

Now that I think about it, didn't The Freaks argue that boosters were stupid and didn't improve safety? If so, this study doesn't help. Late last night, I was thinking they had a slightly different take (i.e., that FF 5 points were the useless devices), which is why I thought this study was relevant to them specifically. It's still interesting, just not related to The Freaks. ;)

UlrikeDG

Actually, the study only compares FF in a 5 point CRS vs Booster use. While it may be true that RF reduces the risk of neck injuries in 3 year olds, the only thing we can definitively say (based on this study) is that FF 5 point CRS do not provide 100% protection from neck injuries in severe frontal crashes, but they do provide more protection than a booster, even when the straps are too loose.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the Freaks only looked at FARS data and 'any' kind of restraint use for kids over 24 months old and said ANY kind of restraint use is pointless, from a death-rate perspective (they go on to say get the kid a DVD player... um... from an economics perspective, isn't a cheap cosco TONS cheaper than a DVD player and years and years of DVD purchases just to keep your kid sitting still in the back seat? Talk about bizarro logic on their part, huh?). They also ignored injury rates. Try googling 28 out of 100 and CHOP, because that's the kids that would have been saved/uninjured if sitting in a seat rather than seatbelt/unrestrained alone.

UlrikeDG

Ah, then this study does refute them a bit, in that it shows that a 5 point harness helps reduce neck injuries. Doesn't go all the way, but still, it's something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC